independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 12th Dec 2019 3:09am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Another School Shooting
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 11 123456789>Last »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

PennyPurple

Another School Shooting

Sad that we are becoming immune to these shootings and nothing about it on the P & R forum.

It makes me sick.

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. — A 16-year-old student pulled a gun from his backpack and opened fire on classmates at a high school north of Los Angeles on Thursday morning, striking five people before turning the gun on himself, law enforcement authorities said. Two students, a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy, died at a hospital.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/11/14/shooting-reported-los-angeles-area-high-school/

Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/14/19 4:22pm

mELdOURADOsELV
AGEM

This world is evil. ☹️

We've had some shooting scares here locally but thank goodness nothing happened.

[Edited 11/14/19 16:23pm]
mushy
Reply #2 posted 11/14/19 4:42pm

onlyforaminute

There ain't nothing, nothing left to say.
Year of Return 2019
Reply #3 posted 11/14/19 4:42pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

PennyPurple said:

Sad that we are becoming immune to these shootings and nothing about it on the P & R forum.

It makes me sick.

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. — A 16-year-old student pulled a gun from his backpack and opened fire on classmates at a high school north of Los Angeles on Thursday morning, striking five people before turning the gun on himself, law enforcement authorities said. Two students, a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy, died at a hospital.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/11/14/shooting-reported-los-angeles-area-high-school/

I didn’t post about this because there isn’t anything I have to say that I haven’t said many times before.
And I didn’t want to read the same excuses and condolences.
Reply #4 posted 11/14/19 5:01pm

PennyPurple

It's a never ending cycle.

It was at least the 11th school shooting in the U.S. this year and at least the 10th mass shooting in California since 2013.

Reply #5 posted 11/14/19 5:42pm

poppys

Oddly, just the other day I was thinking we would have one soon because we were overdue, sigh

politics: the art or science of government.
Reply #6 posted 11/14/19 6:47pm

PennyPurple

I can't quite get my head wrapped around it all.

Guns have been around for the ages but the last decade or so people decide to shoot up concerts, movie theaters, schools, shopping malls, CHURCHES.

It has to stem from not having discipline in the home. That's the only thing I can come up with.

As a child, my parents wouldn't hesitate to bring the belt out...or any other thing they could reach for (hot wheels race track, comes to mind). When we acted up we knew what was coming, act up at school and it would be our asses.

My grandparents were heavy handed with my parents.

I wasn't so heavy handed with my children, though they still got plenty of spankings.

I think with each generation the discipline lessons. Time out these days is used a little too much and does nothing.

What motivates these kids to get guns and kill multiple people?

This attack lasted 16 seconds. 16 seconds and these families lives are forever changed.

And the parents of these shooters, how do they feel? You can't just stop loving your child in 1 second flat, but your child has taken other lives. I would be so devastated if one of my children did something like this, that I think I couldn't go on.

My daughter is a teacher and loves, loves her job, but she is afraid for her students, she is afraid for herself, hell I'm afraid for her.

Mental health? Again why when I was a child none of the kids in my school had this type of mental health problems to want to kill everyone?

Every child in this country knows by now you can't bring guns to school. Even pre-schoolers know because they have drills all the time these days.

Reply #7 posted 11/14/19 7:15pm

wildgoldenhone
y

Yes, lack of discipline, copycats, and pressure from peers and society in general created a pressure cooker situation.

No real direction and discipline in some of their lives that some don't know how to cope with life's problems. And acting out is the only way they know how to respond. Anger is a ingrained trait that we all have but they just don't know to control themselves or their impulses.

IMO
Reply #8 posted 11/15/19 5:15am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

wildgoldenhoney said:

Yes, lack of discipline, copycats, and pressure from peers and society in general created a pressure cooker situation. No real direction and discipline in some of their lives that some don't know how to cope with life's problems. And acting out is the only way they know how to respond. Anger is a ingrained trait that we all have but they just don't know to control themselves or their impulses. IMO

...guns, gun laws

Reply #9 posted 11/15/19 6:15am

poppys

^^ Agree. Guns are the difference between the US and the rest of the industrialized nations.

Bill Clinton to Donald Trump on gun control inaction during impeachment: 'You got hired to do a job'

“What would your message to President Trump be about when he says, ‘I can’t work with these people, they’re impeaching me?’” CNN anchor Jake Tapper asked Clinton.

“You got hired to do a job. You don't get the days back you blow off,” Clinton said his message to Trump would be. “Every day's an opportunity to make something good happen. I would say, 'I've got lawyers and staff people handling the impeachment inquiry and they should just have at it. Meanwhile, I'm going to work for the American people.'"

The former president was reacting to a clip of Attorney General Bill Barr saying Wednesday, the first day of the public hearings in the impeachment inquiry, that "discussions on the legislative aspects" of gun control "have been sidetracked because of the impeachment process on the Hill."

shameless politicizing of murder

Reply #10 posted 11/15/19 7:19am

maplenpg

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

wildgoldenhoney said:

Yes, lack of discipline, copycats, and pressure from peers and society in general created a pressure cooker situation. No real direction and discipline in some of their lives that some don't know how to cope with life's problems. And acting out is the only way they know how to respond. Anger is a ingrained trait that we all have but they just don't know to control themselves or their impulses. IMO

...guns, gun laws

I have to agree. I don't disagree with some of the things wildgoldenhoney says, but this type of mass shooting is an American problem in the Western world. If it were solely the things others have listed (i.e. discipline etc..) then we'd be having mass shootings all over the Western world. American gun laws are what sets America apart. It should not be easy to carry out the dark thoughts that lurk inside people's minds.

We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
Reply #11 posted 11/15/19 8:04am

poppys

maplenpg said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

...guns, gun laws

I have to agree. I don't disagree with some of the things wildgoldenhoney says, but this type of mass shooting is an American problem in the Western world. If it were solely the things others have listed (i.e. discipline etc..) then we'd be having mass shootings all over the Western world. American gun laws are what sets America apart. It should not be easy to carry out the dark thoughts that lurk inside people's minds.

Exactly.

Reply #12 posted 11/15/19 10:35am

KoolEaze

PennyPurple said:

Guns have been around for the ages but the last decade or so people decide to shoot up concerts, movie theaters, schools, shopping malls, CHURCHES.

It has to stem from not having discipline in the home. That's the only thing I can come up with.

As a child, my parents wouldn't hesitate to bring the belt out...or any other thing they could reach for (hot wheels race track, comes to mind). When we acted up we knew what was coming, act up at school and it would be our asses.

I wasn't so heavy handed with my children, though they still got plenty of spankings.

I think with each generation the discipline lessons. Time out these days is used a little too much and does nothing.

This attack lasted 16 seconds. 16 seconds and these families lives are forever changed.

And the parents of these shooters, how do they feel? You can't just stop loving your child in 1 second flat, but your child has taken other lives. I would be so devastated if one of my children did something like this, that I think I couldn't go on.

My daughter is a teacher and loves, loves her job, but she is afraid for her students, she is afraid for herself, hell I'm afraid for her.

Mental health? Again why when I was a child none of the kids in my school had this type of mental health problems to want to kill everyone?

Every child in this country knows by now you can't bring guns to school. Even pre-schoolers know because they have drills all the time these days.

Do you think it might also have to do with what people eat these days, and what´s in the food? Because even though most junk food items such as burgers, fries, pizza have been around for ages, they used to have very different ingredients back in the day.

High fructose corn syrup for example is a relatively new part of the average American diet. And scientists see a link between diet and behavior.

Then again, diet is probably just one factor among many others.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"

http://kooleasehvac.com/
Reply #13 posted 11/15/19 12:54pm

onlyforaminute

Yep it's the food.
Year of Return 2019
Reply #14 posted 11/15/19 3:10pm

DiminutiveRock
er

PennyPurple said:

It makes me sick.

This one was very close to home. sad We watched it live on TV as it was unfolding. I am sick of it. I am sick of how anyone, especially the mentally disturbed, have such easy access to guns.

neutral

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
Reply #15 posted 11/15/19 3:12pm

PennyPurple

KoolEaze said:

PennyPurple said:

Do you think it might also have to do with what people eat these days, and what´s in the food? Because even though most junk food items such as burgers, fries, pizza have been around for ages, they used to have very different ingredients back in the day.

High fructose corn syrup for example is a relatively new part of the average American diet. And scientists see a link between diet and behavior.

Back when I was growing up, we had home cooked meals, and if we ever got to go out it was a treat.

Like I said growing up I don't remember mass shootings like this. Maybe it just wasn't out in the open like it is today.

There is something wrong with this generation of kids.

My daughter is a 2nd grade teacher and the stories she tells about how the 2nd graders behave, astounds me. One kid told his pregnant teacher that he was going to bring a knife to school and cut her stomach open and kill the baby. eek The same 2nd grader who tripped the pregnant teacher and was punching her in the belly while she was down on the floor. The teacher had to actually file a police report on the 7-8 year old.

These kids are 7-8 years old. eek

The teachers have to evacuate their classroom when a child acts up like this. One kid last month started throwing desks around, the teacher led the other kids out and left that kid in the classroom, the kid totalled the class. Every desk was dumped. Every crayon was thrown, every drawer in the teachers desk was dumped. Markers on the wall. Every single thing that the teacher bought with her own money to make her classroom fun was destroyed. It took the teacher and 4 other teachers 6 hours to clean the mess up. 6 hours after school, of their own time.

17, yes I said, 17 phone calls were made to the parents of this kid. 3 hours later the dad finally shows up. eek All the dad said was, he has never acted this way before..........ummmm yes he has, he did this to his 1st grade teacher too.

[Edited 11/15/19 15:14pm]

Reply #16 posted 11/16/19 12:55am

KoolEaze

onlyforaminute said:

Yep it's the food.

I´m not saying it´s the only reason but there are many experts who´ve been studying the links between diet and violence in the USA for quite some time now. I´m saying it might be a contributing factor.

Just one example of many: https://www.ncjrs.gov/App...x?ID=70045

[Edited 11/16/19 0:57am]

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"

Reply #17 posted 11/16/19 6:31am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

DiminutiveRocker said:

PennyPurple said:

It makes me sick.

This one was very close to home. sad We watched it live on TV as it was unfolding. I am sick of it. I am sick of how anyone, especially the mentally disturbed, have such easy access to guns.

neutral

The kid had more guns at home.

the shooting. Only lasted 16 seconds because that's how fast he emptied the rounds. He knew exactly how many bullets the gun had and saved 5he last one for himself.

Santa Clarita is a beautiful community. The kid was smart and not a loner. The only commonality besides a disturbed individual with other shootings seems to be easy access to guns.

Reply #18 posted 11/17/19 9:22am

OnlyNDaUsa

And again someone illegally gets a gun, in gun grabbing--anti-civil-rights-- state, went into a gun free zone... and did evil and the rabid anti-liberty fools who apparently only want cops and criminals to have guns use this to push for more laws?

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #19 posted 11/17/19 10:22am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

OnlyNDaUsa said:

And again someone illegally gets a gun, in gun grabbing--anti-civil-rights-- state, went into a gun free zone... and did evil and the rabid anti-liberty fools who apparently only want cops and criminals to have guns use this to push for more laws?

Yeah. It proves the point for better gun laws. Wtf?

Reply #20 posted 11/17/19 10:54am

KoolEaze

PennyPurple said:

KoolEaze said:

Back when I was growing up, we had home cooked meals, and if we ever got to go out it was a treat.

Like I said growing up I don't remember mass shootings like this. Maybe it just wasn't out in the open like it is today.

There is something wrong with this generation of kids.

My daughter is a 2nd grade teacher and the stories she tells about how the 2nd graders behave, astounds me. One kid told his pregnant teacher that he was going to bring a knife to school and cut her stomach open and kill the baby. eek The same 2nd grader who tripped the pregnant teacher and was punching her in the belly while she was down on the floor. The teacher had to actually file a police report on the 7-8 year old.

These kids are 7-8 years old. eek

The teachers have to evacuate their classroom when a child acts up like this. One kid last month started throwing desks around, the teacher led the other kids out and left that kid in the classroom, the kid totalled the class. Every desk was dumped. Every crayon was thrown, every drawer in the teachers desk was dumped. Markers on the wall. Every single thing that the teacher bought with her own money to make her classroom fun was destroyed. It took the teacher and 4 other teachers 6 hours to clean the mess up. 6 hours after school, of their own time.

17, yes I said, 17 phone calls were made to the parents of this kid. 3 hours later the dad finally shows up. eek All the dad said was, he has never acted this way before..........ummmm yes he has, he did this to his 1st grade teacher too.

[Edited 11/15/19 15:14pm]

Depends on the decade you´re thinking of because according to statistics, mass shootings are on the decline compared to the 90s.

Still, every mass shooting is one too many.

To me, it feels like there are more shootings these days but, like I said above, the numbers speak a different language.

I think one reason for the decrease is because many young people prefer to stay at home and spend their time online or playing videogames....not really a good trend, but still better than dead teens I guess. neutral

Reply #21 posted 11/17/19 11:22am

PennyPurple

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Evidently the laws aren't strict enough.

Reply #22 posted 11/17/19 11:32am

OnlyNDaUsa

PennyPurple said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

so because someone breaks the law we need more laws? People Speed so we should lower the speed limit?

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #23 posted 11/17/19 11:40am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

OnlyNDaUsa said:

PennyPurple said:

so because someone breaks the law we need more laws? People Speed so we should lower the speed limit?

So if people keep getting killed from lack of effective laws that right wingers keep fighting against, you suggest doing nothing so kids keep getting killed.
Brilliant. Go tell tell the victims parents about your great idea. Tell them. I'm sure they will agree with you and thank you to your face.

[Edited 11/17/19 12:45pm]

Reply #24 posted 11/17/19 12:23pm

IanRG

OnlyNDaUsa said:

PennyPurple said:

This is utter nonsense.

If a set of laws and attitudes encourage a rate of death and injury from gun violence that is 10 times the rate of equivalent nations as encouraged by corrupt organisations like the NRA and the politicians they have bought, then, no you don't need more laws, you just need more effective laws.

Your analogy both works and fails: It works because if people travelling at a location get killed at rate that is 10 times the average of other equivalent places on a per 100,000 people basis, then every sane road and highway management authority does in fact look at lowering the speed limit there and at resolving the issues that cause this spike.

It fails in that the prime purpose of cars is provide transportation, not the ability to threaten, injure and kill people. The prime purpose of personal guns is to provide the ability to threaten, injure and kill people. Prime purpose to prime putpose, you should have said people use transporttion for its purpose, so should we lower the use of transportation? Had you done this, you see your argument is utter nonsense.

[Edited 11/17/19 23:06pm]

Reply #25 posted 11/17/19 12:31pm

PennyPurple

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

So if people keep getting killed from lack of effective laws that right wingers keep fighting against you suggest doing nothing so kids keep getting killed.
Brilliant. Go tell tell the victims parents about your great idea. Tell them. I'm sure they will agree with you and thank you to your face.

Trolls have no empathy.

Reply #26 posted 11/17/19 6:17pm

PeggyO

Once again, the kid had an abusive, alcoholic dad who had alot of guns as he was a 'sportsman'

He died several years ago and though he was abusive to his wife, his kid loved and missed him.

Like father, like son. IMO, it was up to his mother to clear the house of guns after her abusive husband died.

Reply #27 posted 11/17/19 7:06pm

poppys

Right. All mom's fault.

Reply #28 posted 11/17/19 7:09pm

wildgoldenhone
y

Easy access to guns, sure but where there is a will, there is a way. It comes back to the mindset of the person.

And spiritual and moral decline.

[Edited 11/17/19 19:11pm]
Reply #29 posted 11/17/19 7:12pm

poppys

PennyPurple said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

So if people keep getting killed from lack of effective laws that right wingers keep fighting against you suggest doing nothing so kids keep getting killed.

Trolls have no empathy.

They also have no ethics. Which is not just about you personally, it's also how you affect others.

Page 1 of 11 123456789>Last »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Another School Shooting