independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > A Synagogue Attack Shocks Germany. But Why?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

ThatWhiteDude

A Synagogue Attack Shocks Germany. But Why?

Yesterday a right winger tried to storm a synagogue on the holiest jewish holiday Yom Kippur. Luckily he failed at his attempt, but he still managed to murder two people and injured others. He also shot around in a kebab bar.

To me and many others, this attack wasn't a surprise. Right wing extremism is on the rise on the whole european continent. It's on the rise in the USA. It's happening everywhere.

But for decades, politicians and the media willingly ignored the growing problem and they continue to do so. I saw the reactions on the news channels yesterday and for an hour or two, they refused to call this attack what it is: Right wing extremism. They said: Oh we have to wait and see what the police says. Or: Can we say for sure it's a right wing attack? But the evidence was there from start to finish. A man, dressed in army fatigues (the look reminds of NS soldiers) tried to storm a synagogue, shot up a kebab bar while shouting: "Fucking Jews and immigrants".

Some politicians said something, but too many of them are still quiet. The silence is deafening. And this silence is one of the reasons why this attack could happen in the first place.

People who didn't sleep on the subject knew for decades that there is a problem with right wingers. People were warned, we reported forums, we reported potential dangerous FB groups, profiles etc. No reactions at all.

From the 90's and through the early 2000's a nazi group murdered through germany. Nothing happened for 10 years. Later people found out that our Federal

Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counterterrorism knew about the group and some of them were involved in protecting them. They willingly let this happen. let that sink in.

It's no secret that there are nazis in the police and in the military. It's just been ignored. But a few months ago a local politician got killed by a neonazi and all of a sudden the tone changes: "Right wing extremism is a problem, we got to do something about it."

Weeks later we find out that right wing groups hord a shitload of guns, but still "nothing to be worried about." They ignored it again and again and again. And fact is, that if they really would've cared and tried to do something, this attack wouldn't have happened. The signs were there for decades. People were warned and they ignored it.

And this rise of right wing extremism happens all over the world and people just let it happen. Just look at how the Trump Adminstration reacts to the various right wing attacks.

I'm sick of people saying "Why could this happen?" When everyone could see the signs of the growing problem.

A qoute from the article: In April, Holger Münch, head of Germany’s national police, said that the country experienced 1,800 anti-Semitic crimes in 2018, a 20 percent rise from 2017. Violent crimes against Jews rose from 28 in 2017 to 48 in 2018, according to statistics from Germany’s domestic intelligence service. Several Jewish organizations, like the American Jewish Committee in Berlin, say that the real number is probably higher.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...rmany.html

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."

"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/10/19 7:25am

poppys

ThatWhiteDude said:

Yesterday a right winger tried to storm a synagogue on the holiest jewish holiday Yom Kippur. Luckily he failed at his attempt, but he still managed to murder two people and injured others. He also shot around in a kebab bar.

To me and many others, this attack wasn't a surprise. Right wing extremism is on the rise on the whole european continent. It's on the rise in the USA. It's happening everywhere.

But for decades, politicians and the media willingly ignored the growing problem and they continue to do so. I saw the reactions on the news channels yesterday and for an hour or two, they refused to call this attack what it is: Right wing extremism. They said: Oh we have to wait and see what the police says. Or: Can we say for sure it's a right wing attack? But the evidence was there from start to finish. A man, dressed in army fatigues (the look reminds of NS soldiers) tried to storm a synagogue, shot up a kebab bar while shouting: "Fucking Jews and immigrants".

Some politicians said something, but too many of them are still quiet. The silence is deafening. And this silence is one of the reasons why this attack could happen in the first place.

People who didn't sleep on the subject knew for decades that there is a problem with right wingers. People were warned, we reported forums, we reported potential dangerous FB groups, profiles etc. No reactions at all.

From the 90's and through the early 2000's a nazi group murdered through germany. Nothing happened for 10 years. Later people found out that our Federal

Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counterterrorism knew about the group and some of them were involved in protecting them. They willingly let this happen. let that sink in.

It's no secret that there are nazis in the police and in the military. It's just been ignored. But a few months ago a local politician got killed by a neonazi and all of a sudden the tone changes: "Right wing extremism is a problem, we got to do something about it."

Weeks later we find out that right wing groups hord a shitload of guns, but still "nothing to be worried about." They ignored it again and again and again. And fact is, that if they really would've cared and tried to do something, this attack wouldn't have happened. The signs were there for decades. People were warned and they ignored it.

And this rise of right wing extremism happens all over the world and people just let it happen. Just look at how the Trump Adminstration reacts to the various right wing attacks.

I'm sick of people saying "Why could this happen?" When everyone could see the signs of the growing problem.

A qoute from the article: In April, Holger Münch, head of Germany’s national police, said that the country experienced 1,800 anti-Semitic crimes in 2018, a 20 percent rise from 2017. Violent crimes against Jews rose from 28 in 2017 to 48 in 2018, according to statistics from Germany’s domestic intelligence service. Several Jewish organizations, like the American Jewish Committee in Berlin, say that the real number is probably higher.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...rmany.html

This was reported here. Terrible. We looked to Germany as doing the right thing after WWII by actively going after anti-semitism and teaching tolerance. I'm of German heritage and even here in the US in the 50s and 60s many people still felt shame and or were shamed for being German because of the horrors of the Holocaust. Not that guilt by association is good, but at least there was an awareness that a terrible thing had happened that should never happen again.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
Reply #2 posted 10/10/19 7:40am

KoolEaze

It´s interesting that, while rightfully taking a stance against increasing anti-semitism, the German media coverage focuses mainly on Jewish people even though thankfully no one in the synagogue was killed, yet almost nobody mentions the people who were killed....for example that guy who was killed while he was eating something at the kebap shop.

I was going to post about this right after it happened but then decided against it because there was a lot of inaccurate info circulating at that time.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
Reply #3 posted 10/10/19 8:14am

maplenpg

KoolEaze said:

It´s interesting that, while rightfully taking a stance against increasing anti-semitism, the German media coverage focuses mainly on Jewish people even though thankfully no one in the synagogue was killed, yet almost nobody mentions the people who were killed....for example that guy who was killed while he was eating something at the kebap shop.

I was going to post about this right after it happened but then decided against it because there was a lot of inaccurate info circulating at that time.

I completely agree. Nothing on the victims at all. Seems to be mostly about the viewing figures of the livestream over here. It's sick that people want to watch this shit.

The Org is my playground and y'all are my playmates.
Reply #4 posted 10/10/19 8:43am

KoolEaze

maplenpg said:

KoolEaze said:

I completely agree. Nothing on the victims at all. Seems to be mostly about the viewing figures of the livestream over here. It's sick that people want to watch this shit.

It has happened before. When the NSU killed more than a dozen people during their decade-long killing spree they first blamed the victims and accused them of being involved in illegal business, protection money issues and so on. Took them more than a decade, and lots of dead people, including 10 Turks and a Greek guy and a dead police officer, until they realized that the killings might have a racist background.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
Reply #5 posted 10/10/19 8:58am

poppys

Haven't watched any footage and have no idea of the media slant, but isn't a synogogue being attacked on Yom Kippur anti-semitic? So maybe that's why the media is focusing on Jewish people?

I agree with honoring the victims of any stripe. That is the right thing to do. Here they don't officially release victim's names until the family knows.

[Edited 10/10/19 14:39pm]

Reply #6 posted 10/10/19 11:26am

KoolEaze

maplenpg said:

KoolEaze said:

There´s more detailed info on the victims now. He shot at four people, of which two died.

One of the victims, a guy named Kevin S. who was eating lunch, was shot once, then the killer walked away and shot at the other victims , then went back to the kebap shop and fired another shot at Kevin S. who then died. The other dead victim was a woman who lived close to the synagogue,she was trying to stop him. There were also ten American visitors in the synagogue.

They were really lucky that the killer didn´t manage to enter the synagogue.

Reply #7 posted 10/10/19 2:39pm

ThatWhiteDude

Why is the title changed??

Reply #8 posted 10/10/19 2:39pm

ThatWhiteDude

poppys said:

Haven't watched any footage and have no idea of the media slant, but isn't a synogogue being attacked on Yom Kippur anti-semitic? So maybe that's why the media is focusing on Jewish people?

I agree with honoring the victims of any stripe. That is the right thing to do.

yeahthat

Reply #9 posted 10/10/19 2:41pm

poppys

ThatWhiteDude said:

Why is the title changed?

I thought it looked different.

[Edited 10/10/19 14:44pm]

Reply #10 posted 10/10/19 2:45pm

ThatWhiteDude

poppys said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

poppys said:

I agree with honoring the victims of any stripe. That is the right thing to do.

yeahthat

I wasn't even informed about it 🤷‍♀️ if it's because of the article, then it should be known that I didn't make this thread because of the article, I linked this article because of the statistics that supported what I originally said.

Reply #11 posted 10/10/19 2:50pm

poppys

ThatWhiteDude said:

poppys said:

I wasn't even informed about it 🤷‍♀️ if it's because of the article, then it should be known that I didn't make this thread because of the article, I linked this article because of the statistics that supported what I originally said.

Don't think it was the article. We post nyt all the time here.

Reply #12 posted 10/11/19 7:28am

2freaky4church

But the right attack Muslims.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > A Synagogue Attack Shocks Germany. But Why?