independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 21st Jan 2020 12:14am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Colin Powell: ‘The Republican Party has got to get a grip on itself’
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

poppys

Colin Powell: ‘The Republican Party has got to get a grip on itself’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/07/colin-powell-republican-party-has-got-get-grip-itself/

As many GOP lawmakers continue to defend President Trump amid an expanding impeachment inquiry, Colin Powell, the retired general who served under three Republican presidents, said the party “has got to get a grip on itself.”

In remarks broadcast Sunday on CNN, Powell criticized Republican members of Congress for staying silent as Trump’s efforts to pressure a foreign power to target a political rival were exposed.

Republican leaders, Powell said, “are holding back because they’re terrified of what will happen to any one of them if they speak out.”

He continued, “When they see things that are not right, they need to say something about it, because our foreign policy is in shambles right now.”

- E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/07/19 10:01am

poppys

We are in a fight for our lives here right now. Louisiana is the only deep south state that elected a Democratic Governor right before Trump won. He is extremely moderate but has done many good things like expand Medicaid and funding the education that Jindal gutted, including a raise for teachers after 10 years. LA is a very poor state with the worst record for equal pay.

Mike (the antichrist) Pence was here last weekend, pimping Trump's agenda and stumping like a the hypocrite Bible thumper he is. Trump is coming this weekend. The 2 Republican opponents have ads calling Edwards a Pelosi lover and Trump killer etc etc. They're both awful in the lowest of intelligence kind of way.

Out of state Republicans (the party) are pushing for a run-off and saying vote for either Repub because if Edwards wins outright (jungle primary), he wins and it's over. They won't even endorse a candidate, they're both that awful.

Reply #2 posted 10/07/19 3:45pm

DiminutiveRock
er

poppys said:

We are in a fight for our lives here right now. Louisiana is the only deep south state that elected a Democratic Governor right before Trump won. He is extremely moderate but has done many good things like expand Medicaid and funding the education that Jindal gutted, including a raise for teachers after 10 years. LA is a very poor state with the worst record for equal pay.

Mike (the antichrist) Pence was here last weekend, pimping Trump's agenda and stumping like a the hypocrite Bible thumper he is. Trump is coming this weekend. The 2 Republican opponents have ads calling Edwards a Pelosi lover and Trump killer etc etc. They're both awful in the lowest of intelligence kind of way.

Out of state Republicans (the party) are pushing for a run-off and saying vote for either Repub because if Edwards wins outright (jungle primary), he wins and it's over. They won't even endorse a candidate, they're both that awful.

WTH happened to the Republican Party? They used ot be a mix of fiscal conservatives and social conservatives - they have let a cable news station and a moron take lead on their party and he is running it into the ground and taking the country with it. disbelief

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
Reply #3 posted 10/08/19 7:09am

RodeoSchro

DiminutiveRocker said:

poppys said:

WTH happened to the Republican Party? They used ot be a mix of fiscal conservatives and social conservatives - they have let a cable news station and a moron take lead on their party and he is running it into the ground and taking the country with it. disbelief

What happened to the GOP was Rush Limbaugh and his realization that hate and division sell. Fox News was simply the cable TV version of Limbaugh’s business model.
Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
Reply #4 posted 10/08/19 7:38am

2freaky4church

When there are only greasy rails how can you grip a thing?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #5 posted 10/08/19 9:03pm

PeggyO

RodeoSchro said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

What happened to the GOP was Rush Limbaugh and his realization that hate and division sell. Fox News was simply the cable TV version of Limbaugh’s business model.

I think Newt Gingrich was a seminal figure in the unravelling/coarsening of the Republican party as well as the cynical Karl Rove and bombastic/narcissistic Rush Limbaugh...the 'Religious Right' were noxious players as well.

[Edited 10/8/19 21:03pm]

Reply #6 posted 10/13/19 9:03am

poppys

We lost the primary by 40,000 votes yesterday. Now our (moderate) Dem gov has to campaign for another month to beat the worst of the Repubs that ran - a 70 year old millionaire with no political experience. He ran on a pro-Trump, anti-immigration, anti-Pelosi drumbeat. Pence and Trump stumping here were key. This is basically a fight between North and South Louisiana. This Gov fixed so many things Jindal destroyed and was elected right before Trump won. Now we are possibly going backwards.

Reply #7 posted 10/13/19 1:28pm

PennyPurple

poppys said:

We lost the primary by 40,000 votes yesterday. Now our (moderate) Dem gov has to campaign for another month to beat the worst of the Repubs that ran - a 70 year old millionaire with no political experience. He ran on a pro-Trump, anti-immigration, anti-Pelosi drumbeat. Pence and Trump stumping here were key. This is basically a fight between North and South Louisiana. This Gov fixed so many things Jindal destroyed and was elected right before Trump won. Now we are possibly going backwards.

It makes me sick. After everything that is going on, and the people still vote for the repubs.

Reply #8 posted 10/13/19 5:27pm

ladygirl99

DiminutiveRocker said:

poppys said:

The social and fiscal conservatives are still around and voting quietly to further damage this country but they are also outvoiced by bigmouths that are on internet and cable Sean Hannity/Rush Limbaugh/Tomi Lahren/Candace Owens and sites like Breitbart and dailycaller are the voice of the party now.

Colin Powell and his kind the Rockefeller types are pretty much nonexistant to the current Republican right wingers and the current Republicans are stay shunning him and his types. I wish Colin would switch to independent (like I am nowadays) he is one of the good ones. We need him. But he is too idealist of the Republican party. He still have hope this party would switch back to the party of Lincoln and Eisenhower well good luck. There is no turning back.

Reply #9 posted 10/14/19 10:28am

poppys

ladygirl99 said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

The social and fiscal conservatives are still around and voting quietly to further damage this country but they are also outvoiced by bigmouths that are on internet and cable Sean Hannity/Rush Limbaugh/Tomi Lahren/Candace Owens and sites like Breitbart and dailycaller are the voice of the party now.

Colin Powell and his kind the Rockefeller types are pretty much nonexistant to the current Republican right wingers and the current Republicans are stay shunning him and his types. I wish Colin would switch to independent (like I am nowadays) he is one of the good ones. We need him. But he is too idealist of the Republican party. He still have hope this party would switch back to the party of Lincoln and Eisenhower well good luck. There is no turning back.

Hear what you're saying about being an independent. I started out that way but in many states you can't vote in the primary as an independent. The system kind of forces your hand that way. You can still vote for whoever you want for Pres even if you register as a party.

Colin Powell was royally screwed by testifying that the bullshit yellowcake reason for invading Iraq was legit. Before that, I think he was on track to be a presidential candidate, many on the right and left would have voted for him. He was too loyal a soldier in that instance.

I just think it's important that he came out and said something about the state of the current Republican party. There is nothing "Conservative" about following a madman for personal gain, and consistently looking the other way.

[Edited 10/14/19 16:03pm]

Reply #10 posted 10/14/19 1:35pm

guitarslinger4

DiminutiveRocker said:

poppys said:

Republicans being the "fiscally conservative" party is a canard they've somehow been able to sell for decades. Nixon was probably the last actually fiscal conservative republican in the White House.

Reply #11 posted 10/14/19 2:02pm

DiminutiveRock
er

poppys said:

ladygirl99 said:

Hear what you're saying about being an independent. I started out that way but in many states you can't vote in the primary as an independent. The system kind of forces your hand that way. You can still vote for whoever you want for Pres even if you register as a party.

Colin Powell was royally screwed by tesifying that the bullshit yellowcake reason for invading Iraq was legit. Before that, I think he was on track to be a presidential candidate, many on the right and left would have voted for him. He was too loyal a soldier in that instance.

I just think it's important that he came out and said something about the state of the current Republican party. There is nothing "Conservative" about following a madman for personal gain, and consistently looking the other way.

[Edited 10/14/19 10:31am]

nod

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
Reply #12 posted 10/14/19 3:14pm

2freaky4church

How can one get a grip onto a greasy pole?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #13 posted 10/14/19 3:56pm

uPtoWnNY

Rodeo's been saying it for years - if some folks got off their lazy asses and voted, things would have been different. The chickens have come home to roost and folks deserve the leaders they vote for. Maybe now people will wake up, but it's a long way until next November.

I disagree with Rodeo's opinion about Rush being the cause - sowing hate and division goes back to Nixon's 'southern stategy' - it continued with Reagan's 'welfare queen' and courting those so-called christian-Jerry Falwell types. Trump is doing nothing new. The fact that so many buy into his act says more about them than him.

Reply #14 posted 10/14/19 8:27pm

jjhunsecker

uPtoWnNY said:

Rodeo's been saying it for years - if some folks got off their lazy asses and voted, things would have been different. The chickens have come home to roost and folks deserve the leaders they vote for. Maybe now people will wake up, but it's a long way until next November.

I disagree with Rodeo's opinion about Rush being the cause - sowing hate and division goes back to Nixon's 'southern stategy' - it continued with Reagan's 'welfare queen' and courting those so-called christian-Jerry Falwell types. Trump is doing nothing new. The fact that so many buy into his act says more about them than him.

Very true. Trump just said out loud what many on the Right have been dancing around for decades

Reply #15 posted 10/16/19 6:26am

RodeoSchro

uPtoWnNY said:

You are right that the GOP has used division and hate in politics. But it was always behind the scenes, or in code words, or in some Roger Stone/Lee Atwater hairbrained scheme.

But it was Rush Limbaugh who was the first to come out and say to the nation, "Democrats hate America and want to destroy it". He framed Democrats as enemies of the state, and said exactly those words over and over and over.

In that regard, Limbaugh is 100% responsible for the out-in-the-open hatred we see today. I feel very strongly that no one in history has damaged America more than Rush Limbaugh, and I don't know how to undo the damage he has wrought upon our country.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
Reply #16 posted 10/18/19 4:06pm

poppys

General Matthis claps back. clapping At least some Generals have balls.

theguardian.com

'He earned his spurs from a doctor': Gen James Mattis mocks Trump

Ex-defence secretary responds to US president calling him ‘the world’s most overrated general’

He delivered a stream of one-liners that poked fun at the amount of time Trump spends on the golf course and at his avoidance of military service in Vietnam because of bone spurs in his feet.

“I earned my spurs on the battlefield; Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor,” Mattis said.

In another zap he said: “A year according to White House time is about 9,000 hours of executive time, or 1,800 holes of golf.”

Mattis also compared himself to Meryl Streep in that they both had been denigrated by Trump as “overrated”. The president denounced Mattis as “the most overrated general” when he met members of Congress on Wednesday to discuss his recent controversial decision to pull US troops out of Syria.

“I’m honored to be called that by Donald Trump, because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress,” Mattis said on Thursday night. “So I guess I’m the Meryl Streep of generals.”

New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Colin Powell: ‘The Republican Party has got to get a grip on itself’