independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Climate change protests around the world
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 09/25/19 7:54am

maplenpg

poppys said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-guest-calls-greta-thunberg-mentally-ill-swedish-child-as-right-wing-unleashes-on-climate-activist

WHAT THE...?!?!

Fox News Guest Calls Greta Thunberg ‘Mentally Ill Swedish Child’ as Right Wing Unleashes on Climate Activist

Throughout the day on Monday, conservatives on television and social media mocked and belittled the 16-year-old climate activist.

Yeah, it was a low blow that one! To be fair Fox news have apologised and said they won't have him on the show again.

But Greta as a person seems to be of more interest to some (mostly on the right) than the message she is spreading, and they mock her rather than her message. I just don't buy the crap about the parents etc... She is a teenager. I've worked with teenagers. They don't do what they don't want to do.

It's also why I respect Tweety's first post (even though I don't necessarily agree), because, aside from the last sentence, he tried to prove his point with science, rather than just mocking a child whose passion has turned her from a recuse into a worldwide heroine, or wierdly, as only did, tried to make it about the uterus. Honestly, I don't know why people fear her, or mock her. Her message has always been very simple - listen to those who spend their lives studying this stuff, then act upon it.

The Org is my playground and y'all are my playmates.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 09/25/19 7:57am

maplenpg

TweetyV6 said:

maplenpg said:

Oh Tweety, my little sugar puff, don't you realise by now we are all just so dumb and uneducated compared to you with your high-powered job in the atmospheric sciences? Obviously I couldn't possible understand a science paper because it's just so far above my limited capabilities, no need to get your panties in a twist about it wink .

I quit that job 2 months ago. I now am in charge of Quality and Performance Improvement at a large manufacturing company.

Unfortunately a lot of people do. Not knowing how these data are obtained and that these surface measurements have a HUGE error margin.
The error margin is far larger then the temperature rise calculated with these data.

www.surfacestations.org -> In the USA, 40% of all surface temperature data are generated
92,3% of the US surface stations have an error margin >= 1 deg. Celcius / 85,9% have an error margin >= 2 deg. Celcius.

I leave it to your judgment wether surface stations in other countries around the world are more or less accurate then the US ones and, knowing that, it is justified to claim a temperature rise of 0,9 deg. Celcius in the past 100+ years (also taking into consideration the accuracy of measurements late 19th century compared to todays standards)

When establishing a measurement system, a rule of thumb is that ypur equipment should be at least 10 times as accurate as defined for the feature you'd like to measure.
E.g. if I have a part which length is specified as 10 cm +/- 5mm, I would need a gage capable of measuring with an accuracy of at least 0,5mm

This would mean that for expressing a temperature in 1 digit accuray, I would need to have measurment equipment capable of measuring with a 2 digit accuracy

Again, I leave it up to your judgment if you think that this is current practice arround the world today, let alone 120 years ago.

PS. You should be pleased Mrs Google is taking the time to Google some of the things you post. It doesn't happen that often.

Thank you. touched hug

I don't think we differ massively in our thoughts. Obviously on Greta we differ, but not so much on the bigger issue. As I've said before, I'm not a scientist so I'm afraid the science in your posts is a bit lost on me (I did try) boxed

Reply #32 posted 09/25/19 8:01am

ThatWhiteDude

13cjk13 said:

maplenpg said:

Can you name some?

Get ready for some lies lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."

"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
Reply #33 posted 09/25/19 8:16am

poppys

maplenpg said:

poppys said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-guest-calls-greta-thunberg-mentally-ill-swedish-child-as-right-wing-unleashes-on-climate-activist

WHAT THE...?!?!

Fox News Guest Calls Greta Thunberg ‘Mentally Ill Swedish Child’ as Right Wing Unleashes on Climate Activist

Throughout the day on Monday, conservatives on television and social media mocked and belittled the 16-year-old climate activist.

Yeah, it was a low blow that one! To be fair Fox news have apologised and said they won't have him on the show again.

But Greta as a person seems to be of more interest to some (mostly on the right) than the message she is spreading, and they mock her rather than her message. I just don't buy the crap about the parents etc... She is a teenager. I've worked with teenagers. They don't do what they don't want to do.

It's also why I respect Tweety's first post (even though I don't necessarily agree), because, aside from the last sentence, he tried to prove his point with science, rather than just mocking a child whose passion has turned her from a recuse into a worldwide heroine, or wierdly, as only did, tried to make it about the uterus. Honestly, I don't know why people fear her, or mock her. Her message has always been very simple - listen to those who spend their lives studying this stuff, then act upon it.

To be fair, there is nothing fair about Fox "news". They issued the apology in the spirit of “It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.” They do it all the time.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
Reply #34 posted 09/25/19 8:31am

maplenpg

poppys said:

maplenpg said:

To be fair, there is nothing fair about Fox "news". They issued the apology in the spirit of “It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.” They do it all the time.

Fair enough. Can't say I've ever heard anything nice about them. Can't say I've ever watched it other than short clips on YouTube smile

Reply #35 posted 09/25/19 8:32am

maplenpg

ThatWhiteDude said:

13cjk13 said:

Get ready for some lies lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol

I'm still waiting. I didn't even get lies. Just.....nothing lol lol lol lol

Reply #36 posted 09/25/19 9:48am

ThatWhiteDude

maplenpg said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Just wait a little while longer lol lol lol

Reply #37 posted 09/25/19 11:17am

guitarslinger4

This is noble but until we get countries like China, Russia, and India on board, the problem is only going to continue to get worse. The west is doing very little of the polluting compared to these three countries.

Reply #38 posted 09/25/19 4:26pm

OnlyNDaUsa

guitarslinger44 said:

This is noble but until we get countries like China, Russia, and India on board, the problem is only going to continue to get worse. The west is doing very little of the polluting compared to these three countries.

Mexico is a HUGE offender... ever drive I10 between El Paso and Juarez? disgusting! and some liars say that Green Air... is from the US!

also per-capita the 3rd world pollutes more... much more.

The Spike is Real Wear a Mask (this is not the 2nd Wave)
Reply #39 posted 09/25/19 4:41pm

ThatWhiteDude

OnlyNDaUsa said:

guitarslinger44 said:

Mexico is a HUGE offender... ever drive I10 between El Paso and Juarez? disgusting! and some liars say that Green Air... is from the US!

So going by that, the USA and europe shouldn't do anything because someone is worse?

Reply #40 posted 09/25/19 4:58pm

OnlyNDaUsa

ThatWhiteDude said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

So going by that, the USA and europe shouldn't do anything because someone is worse?

i said nothing of the sort.

The Spike is Real Wear a Mask (this is not the 2nd Wave)
Reply #41 posted 09/25/19 5:23pm

ThatWhiteDude

OnlyNDaUsa said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

i said nothing of the sort.

and still your posts come off as a whataboutism from your side.

Reply #42 posted 09/25/19 6:04pm

KoolEaze

OnlyNDaUsa said:

guitarslinger44 said:

What makes you so sure? Here´s an article that debunks your claim:

-

https://www.theguardian.c...son-capita" target="_blank">https://www.theguardian.c...son-capita

-

"

Looking at a country's total carbon emissions doesn't tell the full story of a country's contribution to global warming.

China, for example, is the world "leader" in total emissions (6018m metric tonnes of carbon dioxide) since it overtook the US (5903) in 2007. But all that really tells you is that China is a fast-developing country with a lot of people.

A more useful measurement is carbon emissions per capita (person). Under that measurement, the average American is responsible for 19.8 tonnes per person, and the average Chinese citizen clocks in at 4.6 tonnes.

Examining CO2 per capita around the world also shows us the gulf between the developed world's responsibility for climate change and that of the developing world. While Australia is on 20.6 tonnes per person (partly because of its reliance on CO2-intensive coal) and the UK is half that at 9.7 (explained in part by relatively CO2-light gas power stations), India is on a mere 1.2. Poorer African nations such as Kenya are on an order magnitude less again – the average Kenyan has a footprint of just 0.3 tonnes (a figure that's likely to drop even lower with the country's surge in wind power)."

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
Reply #43 posted 09/26/19 12:40am

TweetyV6

Let's make it factual then.
Let's have a look at her claims and what actual data have to say

Greta: “We are in the beginning of a mass extinction…”
Facts: World population will increase.
United Nations: "The world's population is expected to increase by 2 billion persons in the next 30 years, from 7.7 billion currently to 9.7 billion in 2050 [hasn't the world, or at least humanity, seized to exist by that time? wink ], according to a new United Nations report"

Life expectancy is increasing. -> http://apps.who.int/gho/d...Gv?lang=en

Greta: “For more than 30 years the science has been crystal-clear.”
Depends on what you regard as credible science. Fact is that only in models, the anthropogenic CO2 leads to an increase of 'global temperature' [which still is lacking a clear definition]
Fact is also that the observations prove the CMIP5 models wrong.
The IPCC has acknowledged that (but you won't hear that on the news)

From the IPCC:
Climate models are extremely sophisticated computer programs that encapsulate our understanding of the climate system and simulate, with as much fidelity as currently feasible, the complex interactions between the atmosphere, ocean, land surface, snow and ice, the global ecosystem and a variety of chemical and biological processes. https://www.ipcc.ch/site/..._FINAL.pdf
FAQ 9.1, page 824

Our understanding of how the climate works if far from complete. This means that climate modelling ALWAYS requires assumptions in variables. These assumptions sometimes are educated guesses, but sometimes also personal opinions.

In other words, models are ALWAYS subject to bias. That’s also the reason why there is so much variety in outcome of the 50+ used models in CMIP5
https://portal.enes.org/d...resolution

FACT remains that observations (satellite data) do not concur with the outcome of the models.
Hence, the ‘science’ behind the global warming in regard to the scientific principle, simply is wrong.

As Feynman said: “No matter how smart a person is, no matter how elegant their hypothesis, if it does not agree with experimentation, it is wrong.”

https://youtu.be/LIxvQMhttq4

Greta: “The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control. 50% may be acceptable to you but those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution, or the aspects of equity and climate justice, they also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist. So, a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us, we who have to live with the consequences.”

Oh man, where to start…
The 1.5 degrees is also a result from models, but not just that. It’s the worst-case scenario of one of the models. And as said above, modelling is ALWAYS biased.
The feedback loops… again, these ONLY exist in climate models, they have never been observed in nature and thus are NOT scientifically verified.
Toxic air pollution… FFS… CO2 is neither a pollutant nor toxic. CO2 is a natural product as a result from oxidizing (burning) carbon-hydrates. Which takes place in your every muscle, or that of animals or in plants (C6H12O6 – Glucose). (Almost) Everything that lives produces CO2 just by living.
Plants need CO2 to grow, so sucking out all CO2 would be not wise to do. It will reverse the greening of the earth due to the increase of CO2 as we witness now: https://www.nasa.gov/feat...ning-earth

Greta: “How dare you pretend that this can be sold with just business as usual and some technical solutions with today’s emissions levels that remaining CO2 budgets will be entirely gone within less than 8 and a half years.”

CO2 budget? That’s only invented for CO2 emission trade (hence speculating with CO2 emissions -> Money, Money, Mooooney)
Does the earth end in 8.5 years? I have reasonable doubts.
Many, if not all, catastrophic climate predictions have failed to materialize.
https://cei.org/blog/wron...redictions

Maybe, just maybe, Greta should get herself educated in the field of Physics, Chemistry and Biology
Maybe then she will start to realise that what she has said now, is plain and utter bullshit.
It's more a religious belief than it has anything to do with science.

Edit: Embedded youtube link did not work.

[Edited 9/26/19 0:44am]

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #44 posted 09/26/19 1:49am

BombSquad

OnlyNDaUsa said:

LMFAO wow, this horesehit ranks up there with the Huns (the Islamic monsters from the 15th century) or with your complete failure in understanding the carbon cycle in older threads

fucking hell, one really has to ask himself, is there even ANY topic on this planet you have even the SLIGHTEST clue about? your level of low-information bullshitting is unparalleled. yet you have the arrogance to question Gretas education? the sissy "school" you went to probably even taught Creationism instead of Evolution, but shit happens in a scienetific ignorant Neanderthal nation LOL

so due to lack of own knoledge, again you just repeat dumbed down Fox propganda LIES

listen clown, per-capita your fucking shithole nation is right up there in the Top 10!
just very few selected idiot nations have more, but they are irrelevant to the greater picture, their total emission are just peanuts compared to the US. but most certainly the whole "3rd world" combined does rank way BELOW your shithole nation.
alright, so let's mark your comment as another scientifically ignorant dumbed down GOP vomit LIE, shall we?

Ideally speaking, the President of the United States and the dumbest person in the country would be two different people. Oh well.... money can't fix stupid
Reply #45 posted 09/26/19 1:58am

BombSquad

OnlyNDaUsa said:

if we look at some of the big climate alarmist they are making millions playing on our fears. And none of them walk the walk.

yeah, so let' go with the fully trustworthy oil idustry, that makes billions, a very wise choice LMFAO

but just for fun, let's say your claim is true... then this is relevant to the science beneath in exaclty what way?

can you elaborate? I'm sure you can... I am really interested in your logical and scentific thinking here

oh wait, or was it just another idiotic completely irrelvant bullshit Fox propaganda comment of yours...?

Ideally speaking, the President of the United States and the dumbest person in the country would be two different people. Oh well.... money can't fix stupid
Reply #46 posted 09/26/19 1:59am

BombSquad

maplenpg said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

lol lol lol lol lol lol

what you expect? biggest forum pussy, running away like always

Reply #47 posted 09/26/19 2:00am

BombSquad

maplenpg said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

lol lol lol lol lol lol

what you expect? biggest forum pussy, running away like always

Reply #48 posted 09/26/19 2:04am

BombSquad

maplenpg said:

TweetyV6 said:

Scientists my ass.
In climate modeling maybe.

Facts:(trends satellite temperature measurements from 1979 - now)

Temperature increase Lower Troposphere: 0.134 K/decade
Temperature increase Middle Troposphere: 0.094 K/decade

Temperature increase Troposphere/Stratosphere: 0.035 K/decade
Temperature DECREASE Lower Stratosphere: -0.248 K/decade

Greta, our little Climate Smeagol, should get her facts right.

Oh Tweety, here we go again, you're the expert rolleyes. Obviously climate change is all a hoax and all the scientists are wrong because you are right. You know what I did? I googled your facts that you posted here. In the top scientific paper that comes up when you google the results (link), it states the following:

LOL you are talking to a guy who got confused volume vs. surface when calculating the amount of arctic ice LOL scientifically it's safe to say he should not be taken seriously in any way

Reply #49 posted 09/26/19 2:33am

TweetyV6

BombSquad said:

LOL you are talking to a guy who got confused volume vs. surface when calculating the amount of arctic ice LOL scientifically it's safe to say he should not be taken seriously in any way

And that's all you have to say, DumbSquad?

A) You CAN express the amount of artic ice in volume or in surface. Or in mass if you like.

B) Yes, I mixed up those two once. Luckily I'm human and as we know humans do make mistakes. Except if you're BombSquad, of course.

C) And now for your comment of the temperature trends I've posted.....

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #50 posted 09/26/19 2:36am

TweetyV6

BombSquad said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

LMFAO wow, this horesehit ranks up there with the Huns (the Islamic monsters from the 15th century) or with your complete failure in understanding the carbon cycle in older threads

fucking hell, one really has to ask himself, is there even ANY topic on this planet you have even the SLIGHTEST clue about? your level of low-information bullshitting is unparalleled. yet you have the arrogance to question Gretas education? the sissy "school" you went to probably even taught Creationism instead of Evolution, but shit happens in a scienetific ignorant Neanderthal nation LOL

so due to lack of own knoledge, again you just repeat dumbed down Fox propganda LIES

listen clown, per-capita your fucking shithole nation is right up there in the Top 10!
just very few selected idiot nations have more, but they are irrelevant to the greater picture, their total emission are just peanuts compared to the US. but most certainly the whole "3rd world" combined does rank way BELOW your shithole nation.
alright, so let's mark your comment as another scientifically ignorant dumbed down GOP vomit LIE, shall we?

LMFAO another DumbSquad classic.
Regarding CO2 as pollutant.

Section 1 : PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

Product name: Carbon dioxide (Gaseous),

Supplier/ Manufacturer: Universal Industrial Gases, Inc.
3001 Emrick Blvd., Suite 320
Bethlehem, PA 18020 USA
(610) 559-7967.

Emergency phone: (610) 559-7967.

Section 2 : COMPOSITION/ INGREDIENT INFORMATION

C.A.S. 124-38-9

CONCENTRATION %: 99.8

Ingredient NameCARBON DIOXIDE
OSHA PEL:5000 PPM

ACGIH TLV: 5000 PPM

OSHA STEL 30,000 PPM

Definitions and other useful data:

CAS #: The Chemical Abstract Service Number which uniquely identifies each constituent.

ACGIH - American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, a professional association which establishes exposure limits.

TLV - Threshold Limit Value - an airborne concentration of a substance which represents conditions under which it is generally believed that nearly all workers may be repeatedly exposed without adverse effect.

OSHA - U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

PEL - Permissible Exposure Limit - The same value as a TLV, except it is enforceable by OSHA.

IDLH - Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health - A concentration from which one can escape within 30-minutes without suffering permanent injury.

When you inhale = current concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere = 400ppm.
When you exhale -> concentration of CO2 = 4% = 40,000 ppm

[Edited 9/26/19 2:52am]

Reply #51 posted 09/26/19 2:50am

BombSquad

TweetyV6 said:

which it is
are we confusing pollutant and posion? again???
some dickheads never learn

Reply #52 posted 09/26/19 2:55am

TweetyV6

BombSquad said:

TweetyV6 said:

which it is
are we confusing pollutant and posion? again???
some dickheads never learn

Have a look in the mirror.

It's NOT a pollutant.
It has only been added to the list of pollutants so it fits into policy. Not because it's harmfull to the environment.

But hey, facts never have kept you from spewing insults, hm?

How Carbon Dioxide Became a 'Pollutant'

[Edited 9/26/19 2:57am]

Reply #53 posted 09/26/19 3:04am

BombSquad

fund pollutants have been called such since ages.

the utter ignorance

and.... calling me DumbSquad but whining about insults? LMFAO

Reply #54 posted 09/26/19 3:17am

BombSquad

but pollutant or not, that has nothing to do with my reply to Only, which was about emssions per-capita

he said 3rd world ranks higher than the US which is easily disprovable bullshit

and since you obviosuly agree with him, this is just another reason not to take you seriously in this debate

Reply #55 posted 09/26/19 3:39am

TweetyV6

BombSquad said:

fund pollutants have been called such since ages.

the utter ignorance

and.... calling me DumbSquad but whining about insults? LMFAO

Talking about ignorance.

CO2 has been added to the EPA list of pollutants on Dec. 7 2009.

Just before the Copenhagen Climate summit, so that some of the participants could show off their ego's and get some pets on their backs.
2009... not even 10 years ago, yet.....I wouldn't call that ages.

Fund Pollutant
That only exists in the English language, and I can't find a clear definition. (might be my short coming, I gladly be corrected)
Neither the Oxford Dictionary nor Brittanica do know the expression.
All I can find is an obscure website that has a definition and the exact same definition on wikipedia

Regarding insults...
There is a couple of degrees difference in severity of a funny take on your forum name or calling someone a dickhead.

Reply #56 posted 09/26/19 3:48am

TweetyV6

BombSquad said:

but pollutant or not, that has nothing to do with my reply to Only, which was about emssions per-capita

Uuuhhmmm... the graph you posted notes emission of tCO2/Person.
It says nothing about any other emission, like heavy metals, or methane, or ozone, or cfk's, or nitrates

and since you obviosuly agree with him, this is just another reason not to take you seriously in this debate

Who says I agree?

And talking about bullshit....
If you look at real pollutants, like heavy metals ... guess what...

http://en.msceast.org/ind...t/and-more

[Edited 9/26/19 3:52am]

Reply #57 posted 09/26/19 3:54am

BombSquad

you and your disgusting fucking lot of tough brave and courageus climate warriors get so scared from a 16 year old girl (!!!) whose only fault ia to be worried about her and all her generations future, that you and all run around scarred up like sissy chickens, boldly calling her Smeagol and alike

so you better just SHUT THE FUCK UP about namecalling, no class dickhead

Reply #58 posted 09/26/19 4:00am

TweetyV6

BombSquad said:

you and your disgusting fucking lot of tough brave and courageus climate warriors get so scared from a 16 year old girl (!!!) whose only fault ia to be worried about her and all her generations future, that you and all run around scarred up like sissy chickens, boldly calling her Smeagol and alike

so you better just SHUT THE FUCK UP about namecalling, no class dickhead

Scared?!?! lol lol lol
Here's Climate Smeagol without script.... a 17 yr old girl with no answers

https://youtu.be/0bwLt_5t73g

[Edited 9/26/19 4:05am]

Reply #59 posted 09/26/19 4:03am

BombSquad

TweetyV6 said:

BombSquad said:

Uuuhhmmm... the graph you posted notes emission of tCO2/Person.
It says nothing about any other emission, like heavy metals, or methane, or ozone, or cfk's, or nitrates

since this thread is about global warming and what could be done about it, just as the post of guitarslinger Only replied to, Only was obviusly referring to greenhouse gases. and CO2 is the most important one humans emitt. the other pollutants are hardly relevant compared to CO2 impact. but feel free to find a statistic that compares ALL human made green house gases US vs. 3rd world and prove me wrong. GO!

Who says I agree?

if you don't agrree with Only, then there was no need to jump on my repsone with your usual hogwash sidestepping, just rambling about another "DumbSquad classic" but compelelty avoiding the point I made about US vs. 3rd world LMFAO

Page 2 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Climate change protests around the world