independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 6th Dec 2019 9:15pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Climate change protests around the world
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #270 posted 11/10/19 6:23am

poppys

https://www.wivb.com/news/dutch-inventor-unveils-device-to-scoop-plastic-out-of-rivers-2/

Dutch inventor unveils device to scoop plastic out of rivers

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) — A young Dutch inventor is widening his effort to clean up floating plastic from the Pacific Ocean by moving into rivers, too, using a new floating device to catch garbage before it reaches the seas.

The 25-year-old university dropout Boyan Slat founded The Ocean Cleanup to develop and deploy a system he invented when he was 18 that catches plastic waste floating in the ocean.

On Saturday he unveiled the next step in his fight: A floating solar-powered device that he calls the “Interceptor” that scoops plastic out of rivers as it drifts past.

“We need to close the tap, which means preventing more plastic from reaching the ocean in the first place,” he said, calling rivers “the arteries that carry the trash from land to sea.”

[Edited 11/10/19 6:27am]

politics: the art or science of government.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #271 posted 11/10/19 10:39am

2freaky4church

Can someone invent lungs?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #272 posted 11/10/19 11:56pm

TweetyV6

poppys said:

maplenpg said:

Tweety, this thread has started going round in circles. I'm with Poppy, this is a great and ambitious move by New Zealand. Your response is massively flawed as it doesn't take into account the many other factors other than a straight exchange between fossil fuels and other energy sources such as wind and nuclear power (see reply #239). The truth there are many other factors involved.

It's crazy. It's like New Zealand shouldn't do anything because of some math problems and the it won't matter anyway defense.

It's no math problem.

It's like if you want to cut $250 your spending; you probably wont start with your 20ct daily bagel

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #273 posted 11/11/19 12:03am

TweetyV6

maplenpg said:

TweetyV6 said:

Source: http://www.eria.org/RPR_F...ter_13.pdf

So from fossil fuel came 11,9 mtoe of energy (33% oil + 20% gas + 8% coal = 61%)
This was in 2013, let's asume this has stayed unchanged until 2020

So by 2050 these 11,9 mtoe of energy need te be transformed to CO2 free energy sources

Again, taking that 1 nuclear power plant produces about 1 mtoe of energy per year and it would take about 2000 large wind turbines to produce the same amount of energy

This means that New Zealand, in the coming 30 years, has to build
12 nuclear power plants

or 48.000 wind turbines

And then for what?
New Zealand accounts for only 0,1% of the global CO2 emissions.

In my opinion it will have NO impact on the 'climate crisis' rolleyes

Tweety, this thread has started going round in circles. I'm with Poppy, this is a great and ambitious move by New Zealand. Your response is massively flawed as it doesn't take into account the many other factors other than a straight exchange between fossil fuels and other energy sources such as wind and nuclear power (see reply #239). The truth there are many other factors involved.

And those factors might be??
Enlighten me!

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #274 posted 11/11/19 12:06am

TweetyV6

2freaky4church1 said:

That green tower is like the worst thing ever. We have to grow up. End oil, end fracking, end coal or we die.

If we'd end oil, you'll die sooner than if you wouldn't. Guaranteed.

Reply #275 posted 11/11/19 12:17am

TweetyV6

maplenpg said:

poppys said:

So why are the people in charge ignoring China and India while also calling for unchecked immigration when we're in a climate crisis with our entire planet on the verge of dying?

I understand your point, but the US is trying to stop immigration right now. Ditto most of Europe. While ignoring the carbon footprint of China and India at the same time.

This. If we wanted immigrants Libya and Syria have literally people dying daily trying to get to the western world - yet we are letting them die.

Plus the birth rates of the western world are not dropping to 'under-sustaining rates' - quite the opposite.

[Edited 11/9/19 23:05pm]

Oh my... take off your blindfold.

There are hardly any Syrians or Libanese people coming to the EU because the EU has made a deal with Erdogan to have them stay in Turkey.

The people on the boats are mainly economical 'refugees' from central african countries.
Accidentally (is it?) those countries w. highest birth rates:

https://www.indexmundi.co...x&l=nl

Reply #276 posted 11/11/19 12:27am

TweetyV6

2freaky4church1 said:

Can someone invent lungs?

Your lungs emit CO2 lol lol lol lol

Reply #277 posted 11/11/19 2:14am

jaawwnn

TweetyV6 said:

maplenpg said:

This. If we wanted immigrants Libya and Syria have literally people dying daily trying to get to the western world - yet we are letting them die.

Plus the birth rates of the western world are not dropping to 'under-sustaining rates' - quite the opposite.

There are hardly any Syrians or Libanese people coming to the EU because the EU has made a deal with Erdogan to have them stay in Turkey.

The people on the boats are mainly economical 'refugees' from central african countries.

What country are you from again Tweety? I'm trying to work out which colonial past you're most nostalgic for.

Reply #278 posted 11/11/19 3:03am

BombSquad

TweetyV6 said:

BombSquad said:

dumb dumber Tweety.

we have the biggest extinction and loss of species since the dinosaurs

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/biodiversity/elements_of_biodiversity/extinction_crisis/

got any more FAILS in the pipeline?

you freaks should really seek help, you be dissing a girl way more educated and intelligent than any of you clowns will ever be LOL

https://www.youtube.com/w...49P_ZGeWq8

and where, oh where, is she talking about biodiversity??
She's fucking talking about herself. She's atlling about mankind. She's afraid to die. Very soon.
Idiot.

uhhmmm, no, she's not talking about herself, clown

clue for the dumb ones who don't know it themselves: simply google mass extinction.

then find out that this term is NEVER used when talking about the human species. never. ever. but it is used for all the past 5 big extinction events. and also the current one. Duh! FAIL and DOUBLE-FAIL

but hey, I'll give you a chance too. feel free to name one instance in science, where the term mass extinction has been used to describe the extinction of the human species. JUST ONE. deliver or shut up. or just do an Only-sissy-run-for-the-hills-rountine.

hint: jeeez, the inclusion of the word 'mass' could have given you a hint LMFAO

uneducated fools left and right, hilarious

[Edited 11/11/19 5:46am]

Ideally speaking, the President of the United States and the dumbest person in the country would be two different people. Oh well.... money can't fix stupid
Reply #279 posted 11/11/19 3:12am

BombSquad

BombSquad said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

air and water is cleaner now that 100 years ago... and watch out BombSquad declared we can only talk about CO2 in this topic! LOL

uhmm where did I do that? are you making stuff up again?

so please specify the exact post where I did that, or be prepared to be called a fucking desperate moronic white privileged racist LIAR

again, I explained it to the dumb ones already, who sadly are still to dumb to get it though:
I choose CO2 cause it is the most important and infulential human produced pollutant concering global warming, which this thread is about (and shut up Tweety with your failing water comparision)

but I gave you the freedom and the chance to pick any other pollutant you like to support your idiot Fox induced bullshit claim:

"also per-capita the 3rd world pollutes more... much more"

looky, a little more source on my side, though I'm still waiting for yours, failing looser

anyway even without having to do "research", any halfway intelligent human being with an IQ over 70 should be aware just by using common sense, that the 3rd world has just a fraction of the cars that we have per capita, just a fraction of the industry per capita, they don't throw away an iPhone and a Flat-Screen TV every year, any maybe also do a biiiiit less ocean cruises than we do, and so on and so on and so on and so on.

so how anyone could claim that their output per capita is higher is beyond me (even if some might have lower enviromental standards, some maybe even lower than that shithole US)

you had a few weeks. but nothing.

so are you a brainless uneducated Fox bot again?

OR CAN YOU FIND EVEN ONE POLLUTANT THAT FITS YOUR CLAIM? CAN YOU????

answer: YOU CAN'T

sissy as usual got exposed for LIES and IGNORANCE, and ran away. as usual
so the guy who hasn't been wrong since evaluating trumps chance to become president (!!!! LMFAO) can reset his counter:

Days without Only bullshit lies: 0

[Edited 11/11/19 4:56am]

Ideally speaking, the President of the United States and the dumbest person in the country would be two different people. Oh well.... money can't fix stupid
Reply #280 posted 11/12/19 2:15am

maplenpg

TweetyV6 said:

maplenpg said:

Enlighten me!

Zero carbon emmissions is not about exchanging X (fossil fuels) for Y when Y is just wind and nuclear, because Y is much, much more than just wind and nuclear.

From reply #239

Other things need to be taken into account such as the food we eat, transport use, the technologies we use, etc...etc...

From the summary of the NZ climate change zero carbon amendment bill (link):

New Zealand is well positioned. We have over 80 per cent renewable electricity generation and will have more by 2035. We are phasing out offshore oil and gas and working with industrial processors such as Fonterra to transition away from fossil fuels. We are shifting the government fleet to electric vehicles and we are working on options to help shift New Zealand’s wider vehicle fleet over to EVs as well. We have established Green Investment Finance Ltd, re-established the home insulation scheme, and are investing $14.5 billion into better public transport and walking and cycling infrastructure over the next 10 years.

We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
Reply #281 posted 11/12/19 2:16am

maplenpg

TweetyV6 said:

maplenpg said:

EDIT: Nevermind. Not going to take the bait.

[Edited 11/12/19 2:18am]

We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
Reply #282 posted 11/12/19 3:33am

BombSquad

TweetyV6 said:

yep. poor Europeans. how come they should take responsibility for those refugees?

oh, wait...

a pretty accurate portrait of you retarded fucknecks.

I just hope your head explodes because of your endless frustration and anger

Reply #283 posted 11/12/19 6:41am

djThunderfunk

BombSquad said:

a pretty accurate portrait of you retarded fucknecks.

I just hope your head explodes because of your endless frustration and anger

"Keep it friendly though!" no no no!

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
Reply #284 posted 11/12/19 7:09am

TweetyV6

maplenpg said:

TweetyV6 said:

Enlighten me!

Zero carbon emmissions is not about exchanging X (fossil fuels) for Y when Y is just wind and nuclear, because Y is much, much more than just wind and nuclear.

From reply #239

Other things need to be taken into account such as the food we eat, transport use, the technologies we use, etc...etc...

I need quantification. I bet it's all marginal.

Transportation of weight x over distance y always requires a certain minimum of energy. Regardless of how efficient it's done. Changing the efficiency of the transportmethod will have some imapct, but I dare to doubt that it will be significant.

Same goes for eating certain types of food.

The etc. etc. doesn't sound very defined.

Don't be fooled.

Reply #285 posted 11/12/19 7:09am

poppys

Really creative protest they did in London last weekend.

London (CNN)Extinction Rebellion activists staged a surprising demonstration Sunday, floating a model of a sinking house down the River Thames in protest over rising sea levels.

The replica suburban house was floated in front of London's Tower Bridge in the early hours of Sunday in an "attempt to send an SOS to the government on climate inaction," the protest group said in a statement.

Extinction Rebellion noted that the ongoing flood disaster in northern England starkly illustrates that "our homes, businesses and families are at very real risk."

Extinction Rebellion activists floated a submerged replica of a suburban house down the River Thames in protest over rising sea levels.

Reply #286 posted 11/12/19 7:19am

TweetyV6

maplenpg said:

TweetyV6 said:

EDIT: Nevermind. Not going to take the bait.

[Edited 11/12/19 2:18am]

You can't argue against FACTS.

In September 2019 75% of asylumseekers which came to the Netherlands WEREN'T Syrian.

https://www.cbs.nl/nl-nl/...nederland-

(CBS = Centraal Burau voor de Statistiek, Dutch governmental Statistical institute.)

And the majority of the Syrian asylumseekers were the so called followers.
Spouses and/or children of already in the Netherlands living Syrians.

Oh and by the way... the 47,5% categorised as 'others' are mainly from safe countris in Africa where the Dutch government doesn't want to be too transparant about.

So no bait but simple, public available facts.

Reply #287 posted 11/12/19 7:35am

BombSquad

TweetyV6 said:

In September 2019 75% of asylumseekers which came to the Netherlands WEREN'T Syrian.

meaning that 25% were in fact Syrian?

jolly good. but 25% is far from "hardly any"
and they remain the biggest group aside from 'others', so no other single country is ahead of them...

hardly any....?
Duh!

can you manage to do at least ONE post without some idiotic FAIL? sweet jebus....

[Edited 11/12/19 7:57am]

Reply #288 posted 11/12/19 7:38am

BombSquad

djThunderfunk said:

you mean friendly like dunno... in DumbSquad or Idiot?

okay then LOL

but hey, at least I'm not as tuff and brave like the phony shitheads who're hating and namecalling on a 16 year old girl, oh well

[Edited 11/12/19 7:42am]

Reply #289 posted 11/12/19 7:45am

maplenpg

TweetyV6 said:

maplenpg said:

From reply #239

I need quantification. I bet it's all marginal.

Transportation of weight x over distance y always requires a certain minimum of energy. Regardless of how efficient it's done. Changing the efficiency of the transportmethod will have some imapct, but I dare to doubt that it will be significant.

Same goes for eating certain types of food.

The etc. etc. doesn't sound very defined.

Don't be fooled.

Did you read any of the link? It has all the quantification you need (unless you want the actual mahoosive report rather than the summary). I'll put another link here. https://www.mfe.govt.nz/s...ummary.pdf

I'm not fooled petal, don't you worry about that wink

Reply #290 posted 11/12/19 7:47am

maplenpg

poppys said:

London (CNN)Extinction Rebellion activists staged a surprising demonstration Sunday, floating a model of a sinking house down the River Thames in protest over rising sea levels.

The replica suburban house was floated in front of London's Tower Bridge in the early hours of Sunday in an "attempt to send an SOS to the government on climate inaction," the protest group said in a statement.

Extinction Rebellion noted that the ongoing flood disaster in northern England starkly illustrates that "our homes, businesses and families are at very real risk."

191110160622-extinction-rebellion-thames-exlarge-169.jpg

Funny enough, there was no coverage of this is Northern England, Yorkshire in fact where the floods were (not my town though). No, I had to hear it from America. What has the world come to!!!!! Thanks for posting Poppy biggrin

[Edited 11/12/19 7:48am]

Reply #291 posted 11/12/19 7:55am

poppys

Part of the "argument' is to compartmentalize (math problems) and pretend that the air, water and everything we are dumping into it is not a connected biosystem. Interaction deniers.

Reply #292 posted 11/12/19 8:06am

poppys

maplenpg said:

poppys said:

Funny enough, there was no coverage of this is Northern England, Yorkshire in fact where the floods were (not my town though). No, I had to hear it from America. What has the world come to!!!!! Thanks for posting Poppy biggrin

They did some other cool stuff too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html

191010084552-etinction-rebellion-trafalgar-square-exlarge-169.jpg

Climate activists protest in London's Trafalgar Square during the third day of climate change demonstrations led by Extinction Rebellion in October.

[Edited 11/12/19 8:07am]

Reply #293 posted 11/12/19 9:03am

maplenpg

poppys said:

maplenpg said:

They did some other cool stuff too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html

191010084552-etinction-rebellion-trafalgar-square-exlarge-169.jpg

Climate activists protest in London's Trafalgar Square during the third day of climate change demonstrations led by Extinction Rebellion in October.

[Edited 11/12/19 8:07am]

Thanks Poppy, there has been coverage of the general protests, just I hadn't seen that particular floating house one in the Thames, and connected with the floods. To be fair, most of the talk in Yorkshire is that the recent floods weren't caused by climate change, but by Tory cuts which meant the rivers weren't dredged biggrin.

Reply #294 posted 11/12/19 9:34am

poppys

Artist use images to spark thought and conversation. It is not always literal. That's why they are often the harbringers of the future.

But also, to be fair, I've seen plenty of floating destroyed houses in my neck of the woods. It is mostly from the destruction of the coastline by big oil cutting shipping channels that give hurricanes a steriod boost to shove saltwater into the natural barrier and destroy it. Along with the rising of the waters everywhere. So it isn't really a far-fetched concept.

Reply #295 posted 11/12/19 11:33am

djThunderfunk

BombSquad said:

djThunderfunk said:

okay then LOL

but hey, at least I'm not as tuff and brave like the phony shitheads who're hating and namecalling on a 16 year old girl, oh well

[Edited 11/12/19 7:42am]

A 16 year old girl who chose to be public and whose parents allowed it? Fair game for criticism.

Unfortunately "hating and namecalling" are a thing with anonymous trolls. Happens to everybody that becomes famous. I'm sure her parents knew this before they allowed her to go public with her campaign.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #296 posted 11/13/19 12:15am

BombSquad

djThunderfunk said:

BombSquad said:

okay then LOL

A 16 year old girl who chose to be public and whose parents allowed it? Fair game for criticism.

Unfortunately "hating and namecalling" are a thing with anonymous trolls. Happens to everybody that becomes famous. I'm sure her parents knew this before they allowed her to go public with her campaign.

aged man from the Netherlands who chose posting in a public Internet forum? Fair game for criticism.

oh and Greta will survive, no worries LOL anyway, yes, she went public. so? and? did anyone doubt that? or is that supposed to be an excuse for the phony shitheads? nope. it does not make them any less shithead

[Edited 11/13/19 4:01am]

Reply #297 posted 11/13/19 5:17am

13cjk13

BombSquad said:

djThunderfunk said:

aged man from the Netherlands who chose posting in a public Internet forum? Fair game for criticism.

oh and Greta will survive, no worries LOL anyway, yes, she went public. so? and? did anyone doubt that? or is that supposed to be an excuse for the phony shitheads? nope. it does not make them any less shithead

People should always remain private with their concerns about the planet being killed. That's obvious.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
Reply #298 posted 11/13/19 5:59am

djThunderfunk

BombSquad said:

djThunderfunk said:

Oh, good! I was sooooo worried about her feelings.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #299 posted 11/13/19 6:13am

BombSquad

djThunderfunk said:

BombSquad said:

Oh, good! I was sooooo worried about her feelings.

even more than about Tweetys feelings, huh? how sweet!

Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Climate change protests around the world