independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 5th Dec 2019 6:43am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Climate change protests around the world
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 10 123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

maplenpg

Climate change protests around the world

I'm proud of our young people. Do I think anything will change anytime soon? Nope sad

We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/21/19 1:43pm

KoolEaze

There were more than 30.000 people, mostly young people, at the march I participated in .

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"

http://kooleasehvac.com/
Reply #2 posted 09/21/19 3:30pm

poppys

KoolEaze said:

There were more than 30.000 people, mostly young people, at the march I participated in .

Good for you, KoolEase. woot!

In many places they were more than protests, they were strikes and walkouts. I love Greta Thunberg, 16 years old !!! (and a vegetarian too maplenpg)

politics: the art or science of government.
Reply #3 posted 09/21/19 3:53pm

IanRG

Coincident with the protests, was a decision in Australia to not grant approval for a new coal mine where a key factor was that the benefits for the current population were outweighed by the environmental costs for future generations.

Hopefully this is a sign of the building momentum to address the issue.

Reply #4 posted 09/22/19 5:14am

maplenpg

KoolEaze said:

Fantastic. And well done for participating yourself clapping clapping clapping

We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
Reply #5 posted 09/22/19 5:18am

maplenpg

poppys said:

KoolEaze said:

Good for you, KoolEase. woot!

In many places they were more than protests, they were strikes and walkouts. I love Greta Thunberg, 16 years old !!! (and a vegetarian too maplenpg)

I honestly think that Greta Thunberg will go down in history, she seems to have reached those in high power, as well as those of us much, much lower down the ladder. I believe she is vegan (something I aspire to, but am still struggling with). I think she is inspiring, though I do worry about the amount of responsibility being put upon her young shoulders.

Reply #6 posted 09/22/19 5:19am

maplenpg

IanRG said:

Coincident with the protests, was a decision in Australia to not grant approval for a new coal mine where a key factor was that the benefits for the current population were outweighed by the environmental costs for future generations.

Hopefully this is a sign of the building momentum to address the issue.

clapping clapping clapping

Reply #7 posted 09/22/19 3:04pm

OnlyNDaUsa

we've been 5 to 10 years from the end for decades... when are you alarmist going to admit it's a hoax? (and climate change almost always calls for controlling a woman's body and what she should be allowed to do with her uterus!)

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #8 posted 09/23/19 12:54am

maplenpg

OnlyNDaUsa said:

we've been 5 to 10 years from the end for decades... when are you alarmist going to admit it's a hoax? (and climate change almost always calls for controlling a woman's body and what she should be allowed to do with her uterus!)

What a stupid reply, I can't believe I'm wasting my time responding. Believe whatever you like, but there are many destructions of this earth that can't be denied - destruction of the rainforest, plastic in our oceans etc... There is an undeniable truth that we are causing harm to our planet and turning a blind eye will not help. If you want to deny climate change that's up to you, but you can still do small things to help the planet, use less plastic, avoid palm oil etc... It's about doing something, however small - only the most ignorant and selfiish of humans refuse to do anything. Guess you must be one of them eh!

Reply #9 posted 09/23/19 3:53am

OnlyNDaUsa

maplenpg said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

What a stupid reply, I can't believe I'm wasting my time responding. Believe whatever you like, but there are many destructions of this earth that can't be denied - destruction of the rainforest, plastic in our oceans etc... There is an undeniable truth that we are causing harm to our planet and turning a blind eye will not help. If you want to deny climate change that's up to you, but you can still do small things to help the planet, use less plastic, avoid palm oil etc... It's about doing something, however small - only the most ignorant and selfiish of humans refuse to do anything. Guess you must be one of them eh!

When I say "it's a hoax" that is not denial of change or that humans are doing some harm. I have been more clear in the past. Basically, the harm people do is a part of it but so it the Sun and the cycle of the planet. The real problem is what can we do, how do we do it, and how will we convince enough of the world to go along... get those in order before we start taking random actions.

You mention plastic in the ocean. Where is most of that coming from? We have people banning plastic straws but paper straws is just as bad. Or electric cars... likely worst that gas.

if we look at some of the big climate alarmist they are making millions playing on our fears. And none of them walk the walk.

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #10 posted 09/23/19 4:24am

maplenpg

OnlyNDaUsa said:

maplenpg said:

When I say "it's a hoax" that is not denial of change or that humans are doing some harm. I have been more clear in the past. Basically, the harm people do is a part of it but so it the Sun and the cycle of the planet. The real problem is what can we do, how do we do it, and how will we convince enough of the world to go along... get those in order before we start taking random actions.

You mention plastic in the ocean. Where is most of that coming from? We have people banning plastic straws but paper straws is just as bad. Or electric cars... likely worst that gas.

if we look at some of the big climate alarmist they are making millions playing on our fears. And none of them walk the walk.

Can you name some?

Reply #11 posted 09/23/19 6:00am

13cjk13

maplenpg said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Can you name some?

Get ready for some lies lol

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
Reply #12 posted 09/23/19 6:50am

maplenpg

13cjk13 said:

maplenpg said:

Can you name some?

We've had a shitload in his posts on this thread already, I expect nothing more lol lol lol

Reply #13 posted 09/23/19 7:24am

2freaky4church

Greta says listen to the scientists. Only, take away your anti science bs.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #14 posted 09/23/19 1:02pm

maplenpg

Greta has more intelligence and dignity in her little finger nail than Trump has in his whole body. He was rude, discourteous and, as ever, wanting to steal the limelight; he failed badly. Go Greta.

Reply #15 posted 09/23/19 1:28pm

13cjk13

maplenpg said:

Greta has more intelligence and dignity in her little finger nail than Trump has in his whole body. He was rude, discourteous and, as ever, wanting to steal the limelight; he failed badly. Go Greta.

Because he is trash vomit. A stinking pile of trash vomit.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
Reply #16 posted 09/23/19 1:29pm

13cjk13

maplenpg said:

13cjk13 said:

We've had a shitload in his posts on this thread already, I expect nothing more lol lol lol

Actually, he might just vomit out the name Al Gore, just for good measure. It's a nice whopper of a lie. lol lol

Reply #17 posted 09/23/19 5:55pm

OnlyNDaUsa

That poor child is being abused... her parents are disgusting monsters.

Reply #18 posted 09/23/19 6:57pm

poppys

That's funny. You found the 13 year old spouting white supremacy on youtube perfectly acceptable.

Reply #19 posted 09/23/19 7:38pm

OnlyNDaUsa

poppys said:

That's funny. You found the 13 year old spouting white supremacy on youtube perfectly acceptable.

Haha at least you got the reference...oh and no i didn't.
Reply #20 posted 09/23/19 7:44pm

JoeyC

maplenpg said:

You ain't kidding. Damn, that girl is good. i was just listening to her speech, and was like, man, too bad she can't be POTUS. Shit, i'd vote for her...

And the rest of those kids? Amazing !!

Rest in Peace Bettie Boo. See u soon.
Reply #21 posted 09/23/19 7:45pm

JoeyC

KoolEaze said:

Hey KE.

Right on man(about the march)!!

Rest in Peace Bettie Boo. See u soon.
Reply #22 posted 09/23/19 11:36pm

hausofmoi7

OnlyNDaUsa said:

poppys said:

Like the time you didn’t say 5yo kids being killed in a drone strike in Yemen was not so sad because they “were probably likely ISIS sympathisers anyway”

[Edited 9/23/19 23:37pm]
“It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non- violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection” - Lesley Hazleton on the first Muslim, the prophet.
Reply #23 posted 09/23/19 11:56pm

TweetyV6

2freaky4church1 said:

Scientists my ass.
In climate modeling maybe.

Facts:(trends satellite temperature measurements from 1979 - now)

Temperature increase Lower Troposphere: 0.134 K/decade
Temperature increase Middle Troposphere: 0.094 K/decade

Temperature increase Troposphere/Stratosphere: 0.035 K/decade
Temperature DECREASE Lower Stratosphere: -0.248 K/decade

Greta, our little Climate Smeagol, should get her facts right.

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #24 posted 09/24/19 3:32am

OnlyNDaUsa

hausofmoi7 said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:
Like the time you didn’t say 5yo kids being killed in a drone strike in Yemen was not so sad because they “were probably likely ISIS sympathisers anyway” . [Edited 9/23/19 23:37pm]

given there are videos of kids in the 5 to 7 range killing people and or pretending to kill or dressed as if to go to war... yeah I know they groom their kids to kill. Just like this poor child was groomed and told what to say or at the very least not corrected when her rhetoric went way overboard.

Like the typical 11 year old "they broke up with me, my life is ruined."

but she is a child maybe in the 8th grade she will take a scince class... wait is she home schooled?

Reply #25 posted 09/24/19 4:23am

maplenpg

TweetyV6 said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Scientists my ass.

Oh Tweety, here we go again, you're the expert rolleyes. Obviously climate change is all a hoax and all the scientists are wrong because you are right. You know what I did? I googled your facts that you posted here. In the top scientific paper that comes up when you google the results (link), it states the following:

"There is increasing interest in the response of the Earth's atmosphere to both solar cycle variations and longer‐term changes as a result of anthropogenic climate change. To date the majority of research has focused on the impacts of anthropogenic climate change within the lower atmosphere. However, there is increasing evidence that changes in greenhouse gas concentrations are impacting all parts of the atmosphere, with the middle and upper atmosphere particularly sensitive to such changes."

I'm not going to argue the scientific nuances with you, I'm not a scientist. But I do know there are a plentiful supply of scientists who have shown that the ability for humans to continue to live on the planet for generations to come is under threat. There are many, many forms that these threats to the planet take, and if we deny some (such as climate change), it is much harder to deny others (such as pollution). I am someone who believes we need to do something, however small that something may be. Politicians have the power to do so much more than me, and I hope they do. And if it takes someone like Greta to make them take action then so be it.

Reply #26 posted 09/24/19 11:08pm

TweetyV6

maplenpg said:

TweetyV6 said:

Scientists my ass.

Oh Tweety, here we go again, you're the expert rolleyes. Obviously climate change is all a hoax and all the scientists are wrong because you are right. You know what I did? I googled your facts that you posted here. In the top scientific paper that comes up when you google the results (link), it states the following:

"There is increasing interest in the response of the Earth's atmosphere to both solar cycle variations and longer‐term changes as a result of anthropogenic climate change. To date the majority of research has focused on the impacts of anthropogenic climate change within the lower atmosphere. However, there is increasing evidence that changes in greenhouse gas concentrations are impacting all parts of the atmosphere, with the middle and upper atmosphere particularly sensitive to such changes."

I'm not going to argue the scientific nuances with you, I'm not a scientist.

Ok Mr./Ms. Google smart and OBVIOUSLY not a scientist

1st, the paper you link to is called: "Solar cycle response and long‐term trends in the mesospheric metal layers"
It's a reaserch paper about "whether these metal layers are sensitive indicators of decadal long‐term changes within the upper atmosphere."

These metals are K (Kalium or Potassium), Fe (Ferro or Iron) and Na (Natrium or Sodium)
Don't confuse the K for Potassium with the K I used in my post which stands for Kelvin, one of the 3 references for temperature (K, C & F)

Having explained that, now comes the following:
The sentence you've cherry picked from the paper "However, there is increasing evidence that changes in greenhouse gas concentrations are impacting all parts of the atmosphere, with the middle and upper atmosphere particularly sensitive to such changes."comes from another paper which is referenced ([Plane et al., 2015, and references therein].)

This paper is called: Resolving the strange behavior of extraterrestrial potassium in the upper atmosphere.
So these changes from the bold sentence are in the context of variation of Potassium (and Na & Fe) concentrations in the atmosphere.

Which becomes obvious if you continue reading from the sentence you cherry picked:

There is increasing interest in the response of the Earth's atmosphere to both solar cycle variations and longer‐term changes as a result of anthropogenic climate change. To date the majority of research has focused on the impacts of anthropogenic climate change within the lower atmosphere. However, there is increasing evidence that changes in greenhouse gas concentrations are impacting all parts of the atmosphere, with the middle and upper atmosphere particularly sensitive to such changes [Plane et al., 2015, and references therein].

In this study we have used the WACCM model to assess the long‐term responses of the K, Na, and Fe metal layers within the MLT region.

Now please, please explain to me how these papers say ANYTHING about the facts I provided?
For your context:

The 'global temperature' (yet to be defined) is measured in 2 ways:
On earth by land based stations
From space using satellites.

The land based measurements have 2 serious issues called data accuracy and data integrity. But that's a whole different topic.
The satellite measurements have 2 big advantages: a) they cover the whole planet and b) de facto it's 1 measurement device limiting system bias.

The list I provided are the temperature trends for different layers in the atmosphere RESULTING FROM 40 years of satellite temperature monitoring.
So these are FACTUAL data.

Oh and one more thing: climate change is not a hoax. Man made climate change is.

Lesson learned: Don't start quoting research papers if you don't understand what these are saying. It makes you look uneducated.

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #27 posted 09/25/19 1:13am

maplenpg

Oh Tweety, my little sugar puff, don't you realise by now we are all just so dumb and uneducated compared to you with your high-powered job in the atmospheric sciences? Obviously I couldn't possible understand a science paper because it's just so far above my limited capabilities, no need to get your panties in a twist about it wink .

For the record, I have never claimed that climate change is solely man-made*. I have claimed that man is destroying its own species by his/her own greed, by choosing profit over ethics, by polluting and destroying our earth. That is where we have a responsibility to try and change things. Greta wants humans to live on this earth for generations to come, as do I. And if there is a way to extend our existance on the earth then we should be looking at ways to do that. I don't see that as unreasonable.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to provide an educated response to seemingly uneducated me. It's a shame you don't seem to like Greta, cause she is a force for good. And whether you agree with her or not, she is evoking change and I'm not going to knock her down for making people take notice.

* I do tend to trust NASA on these things, humans are definitely not helping matters:
The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months.

PS. You should be pleased Mrs Google is taking the time to Google some of the things you post. It doesn't happen that often.

[Edited 9/25/19 1:15am]

Reply #28 posted 09/25/19 2:06am

TweetyV6

maplenpg said:

Oh Tweety, my little sugar puff, don't you realise by now we are all just so dumb and uneducated compared to you with your high-powered job in the atmospheric sciences? Obviously I couldn't possible understand a science paper because it's just so far above my limited capabilities, no need to get your panties in a twist about it wink .

I quit that job 2 months ago. I now am in charge of Quality and Performance Improvement at a large manufacturing company.

For the record, I have never claimed that climate change is solely man-made*.

Good. It isn't.
It only exists in models.

I have claimed that man is destroying its own species by his/her own greed, by choosing profit over ethics, by polluting and destroying our earth. That is where we have a responsibility to try and change things.

And I kind of agree with that. Although I see other factors then just greed playing a significant role.

Greta wants humans to live on this earth for generations to come, as do I. And if there is a way to extend our existance on the earth then we should be looking at ways to do that. I don't see that as unreasonable.

Greta is abused by her parents. It. Is. ALL. About. The. Money.
Ask yourself WHY is she getting all teh attention right now. Without an active lobby, you won't get to speak at/with the EP, UN, the Pope and several leaders of countries.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to provide an educated response to seemingly uneducated me. It's a shame you don't seem to like Greta, cause she is a force for good. And whether you agree with her or not, she is evoking change and I'm not going to knock her down for making people take notice.

A force for good?
Tell that to the people in several European countries who are forced into poverty due to rising energy bills due to the energy transition

* I do tend to trust NASA on these things, humans are definitely not helping matters:
The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months.

Unfortunately a lot of people do. Not knowing how these data are obtained and that these surface measurements have a HUGE error margin.
The error margin is far larger then the temperature rise calculated with these data.

www.surfacestations.org -> In the USA, 40% of all surface temperature data are generated
92,3% of the US surface stations have an error margin >= 1 deg. Celcius / 85,9% have an error margin >= 2 deg. Celcius.

I leave it to your judgment wether surface stations in other countries around the world are more or less accurate then the US ones and, knowing that, it is justified to claim a temperature rise of 0,9 deg. Celcius in the past 100+ years (also taking into consideration the accuracy of measurements late 19th century compared to todays standards)

When establishing a measurement system, a rule of thumb is that ypur equipment should be at least 10 times as accurate as defined for the feature you'd like to measure.
E.g. if I have a part which length is specified as 10 cm +/- 5mm, I would need a gage capable of measuring with an accuracy of at least 0,5mm

This would mean that for expressing a temperature in 1 digit accuray, I would need to have measurment equipment capable of measuring with a 2 digit accuracy

Again, I leave it up to your judgment if you think that this is current practice arround the world today, let alone 120 years ago.

PS. You should be pleased Mrs Google is taking the time to Google some of the things you post. It doesn't happen that often.

Thank you. touched hug

Reply #29 posted 09/25/19 6:52am

poppys

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-guest-calls-greta-thunberg-mentally-ill-swedish-child-as-right-wing-unleashes-on-climate-activist

WHAT THE...?!?!

Fox News Guest Calls Greta Thunberg ‘Mentally Ill Swedish Child’ as Right Wing Unleashes on Climate Activist

Throughout the day on Monday, conservatives on television and social media mocked and belittled the 16-year-old climate activist.

Page 1 of 10 123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Climate change protests around the world