independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Why do young men commit more crimes?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/20/19 1:05pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

guitarslinger44 said:

I read an article that posited that lack of father figures is a major factor in a lot of these mass shootings and crime. When boys don't have anyone to teach them who to "be a man" and instead look up to celebrities or local heroes/criminals because that's all they have to work with, it messes with their heads.

Fathers fuck up their sons by not being around.

The Columbine boys had a father in the home, with both parents and they had good jobs.

I think fathers, and mothers being there, can still turn out little sociopaths.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/20/19 1:08pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

OldFriends4Sale said:

guitarslinger44 said:

I read an article that posited that lack of father figures is a major factor in a lot of these mass shootings and crime. When boys don't have anyone to teach them who to "be a man" and instead look up to celebrities or local heroes/criminals because that's all they have to work with, it messes with their heads.

Fathers fuck up their sons by not being around.

The Columbine boys had a father in the home, with both parents and they had good jobs.

I think fathers, and mothers being there, can still turn out little sociopaths.

Yes, the father and mother of the Dayton shooter are by all appearances upstanding people that do great work for the community.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/20/19 5:33pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

biracial author Rebecca Walker who contributed writing to a book:

What Makes a Man

QUESTIONS FOR REBECCA WALKER

Reimagining Boyhood, said this in an interview, that I think is pertinent:

whatmakesaman.jpg

For the last 50 years, women have been intensely re-envisioning femininity and what it means to be a woman. I think that same scrutiny should be applied to men.But feminism began because women were at a social disadvantage.

Men, as a group, are not socially disadvantaged, so they don't need special pleading.

I don't agree with that. The feminist movement came into being because women were fundamentally in pain and unable to develop to their full potential. And men are similarly hampered by this masculine ideal, in which they are expected to repress their emotions.

13q4.184.jpg

n the introduction, you say that you dislike the idea of having your son play soccer or baseball. Why?

I think you have to come to terms with the kind of child you have. Not every child is a dominator or a competitor designed to be a gladiator in the American cultural marketplace.

But isn't Little League fairly innocuous as masculine pastimes go?

I got my son into it when he was 8 or 9. There was a lot of pressure on the kids, and I couldn't imagine them trying to hold the weight of winning or losing a game. I wanted him to be liked and admired for who he was, not for some identity he felt he had to put on by involving himself in a physically aggressive sport.

But the point of sports is to help boys channel their innate aggression into something more constructive than punching each other out.

I think it's a cop-out to say that boys are biologically determined to be aggressors. Playing sports should not be the mandatory requirement for masculinity. Our definition of masculinity is so limited. Look at male nurses. They devote their lives to healing others but have a hard time being recognized as full men.

A lot of this reminds me of Robert Bly, who started these camps in the 70's where men ran naked through the woods to find their softer, more expressive selves.

What I am doing is nothing new. I am contributing to the work of many men who have been raising these issues. It is very difficult to challenge entrenched values. I was just reading something that said if you let the culture happen to you, you end up fat and broke, in a house full of junk, with no time. If you just sit in front of a television and let it carry you along, without making an effort to resist it or deconstruct it, you really suffer.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/20/19 6:19pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

for one if this is not gender bias then using similar argument and data based on how maybe some member of some other groups commit a disproportional amount of offences is likewise not bigoted.

As to the question: One must wonder what would happen if this data was adjusted to take into account under reporting?

I stand with Ben and the Moderators!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/21/19 8:30pm

PeggyO

Testosterone. Car insurance companies have known this for years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/22/19 5:43am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

PeggyO said:

Testosterone. Car insurance companies have known this for years.

But it cannot just be testosterone. All teens/young men have testosterone, so do women, just smaller amounts.
You mean as in 'driving fast'?

.

girls tend to chatter more and talk on their phones more while driving which lead to a lot of accidents and fatalities.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/22/19 7:15am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

A combination of emotional development and hormones. If anyone knows statistics and risk, it’s Insureance companies
.
We pretty well know the stages of human development. We take them for granted. And I have a lot of love and sympathy for teachers.
.
Still, the interesting thing for me, is that mass shooting perpetrators do not really fit the violent male stereotypes. Geeky young males are not all plotting against the world.
The Vegas gunman was older and supposedly well-off and to this day there is no known motive. The 20 somethings in most shootings are not a persecuted class and didn’t do it go financial gain or necessity.
.
It seems that these cases in particular ARE just senseless actions of people with mental Illness.
I think it all boils down to having these weapons so easily available. There really is no need to put innocent people at risk with these types of weapons so easily available.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/22/19 7:55am

jjhunsecker

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

A combination of emotional development and hormones. If anyone knows statistics and risk, it’s Insureance companies . We pretty well know the stages of human development. We take them for granted. And I have a lot of love and sympathy for teachers. . Still, the interesting thing for me, is that mass shooting perpetrators do not really fit the violent male stereotypes. Geeky young males are not all plotting against the world. The Vegas gunman was older and supposedly well-off and to this day there is no known motive. The 20 somethings in most shootings are not a persecuted class and didn’t do it go financial gain or necessity. . It seems that these cases in particular ARE just senseless actions of people with mental Illness. I think it all boils down to having these weapons so easily available. There really is no need to put innocent people at risk with these types of weapons so easily available.

I think that the mass shooters prove that violence may exist in lots of young men, unless it is properly channeled. The young men who do this usually have a variety of issues- mental, social, family related- a toxic stew that is brought to a boil when you add in the fact that it's as easy to get a weapon of mass killing suitable for the battlefield in somme places as it's easy to get a Big Mac.

#SOCIETYDEFINESU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/22/19 8:15am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

A combination of emotional development and hormones. If anyone knows statistics and risk, it’s Insureance companies . We pretty well know the stages of human development. We take them for granted. And I have a lot of love and sympathy for teachers. . Still, the interesting thing for me, is that mass shooting perpetrators do not really fit the violent male stereotypes. Geeky young males are not all plotting against the world. The Vegas gunman was older and supposedly well-off and to this day there is no known motive. The 20 somethings in most shootings are not a persecuted class and didn’t do it go financial gain or necessity. . It seems that these cases in particular ARE just senseless actions of people with mental Illness. I think it all boils down to having these weapons so easily available. There really is no need to put innocent people at risk with these types of weapons so easily available.

They also are not jock types into sports and physical activities where their testosterone levels and machismo will generally on higher levels.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/22/19 11:01am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Maybe will will never understand these kinds of things.
.
I think of the difference in the original Halloween and John Zombie's version in telling why Michael Myers did what he did. The original of course is better. And it is probably more troubling because little Michael came from a suburban, two parented home, and was very young, vs the latter that had to make him white trash, stripper/waitress mother, slutty sister, drunk no good boyfriend of mommy, and bullied. We don't do good with gray areas and things we cannot define, label or explain.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/22/19 11:38am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

When parents have a troubled young adult they may feel guilty, or helpless or even shame. Think of how difficult it is for a parent or loved one to manage a young adult with a drug or alcohol problem. I would imagine there were signs at home with these volatile individuals.
[Edited 8/22/19 11:41am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/22/19 1:00pm

PeggyO

OldFriends4Sale said:

PeggyO said:

Testosterone. Car insurance companies have known this for years.

But it cannot just be testosterone. All teens/young men have testosterone, so do women, just smaller amounts.
You mean as in 'driving fast'?

.

girls tend to chatter more and talk on their phones more while driving which lead to a lot of accidents and fatalities.

The reason I say this is that I grew up in a quiet, affluent town many years ago (I am prince's age) and it was young men who were speeding, totaling cars, screeching around corners, playing really loud music, drag-racing; some were killed. They were mostly nice guys but 'under the influence' of testosterone. They had to pay much higher rates of insurance till after 26-27.

They were not commiting crimes though, just were nuisances.

I agree with others, testosterone plus being 'troubled'

[Edited 8/22/19 13:04pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/22/19 1:08pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

PeggyO said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




PeggyO said:


Testosterone. Car insurance companies have known this for years.




But it cannot just be testosterone. All teens/young men have testosterone, so do women, just smaller amounts.
You mean as in 'driving fast'?



.


girls tend to chatter more and talk on their phones more while driving which lead to a lot of accidents and fatalities.




The reason I say this is that I grew up in a quiet, affluent town many years ago (I am prince's age) and it was young men who were speeding, totaling cars, screeching around corners, playing really loud music, drag-racing; some were killed. They were mostly nice guys but 'under the influence' of testosterone. They had to pay much higher rates of insurance till after 26-27.


They were not commiting crimes though, just were nuisances.


I agree with others, testosterone plus being 'troubled'



Absolutely. We all know this.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/22/19 7:44pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

PeggyO said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

But it cannot just be testosterone. All teens/young men have testosterone, so do women, just smaller amounts.
You mean as in 'driving fast'?

.

girls tend to chatter more and talk on their phones more while driving which lead to a lot of accidents and fatalities.

The reason I say this is that I grew up in a quiet, affluent town many years ago (I am prince's age) and it was young men who were speeding, totaling cars, screeching around corners, playing really loud music, drag-racing; some were killed. They were mostly nice guys but 'under the influence' of testosterone. They had to pay much higher rates of insurance till after 26-27.

They were not commiting crimes though, just were nuisances.

I agree with others, testosterone plus being 'troubled'

[Edited 8/22/19 13:04pm]

Eh it has to be more than that though. I mean I know a lot of women and girls that love to ride motorbikes, cars, boats and do this stuff really fast while having fun. I think that is just youth getting a taste of freedom, not testosterone.


Playing loud music isn't induced by testosterone.

I just think they were under the unfluence of youth and freedom. Girls go wild when they get out from under mom and dads watch. Thrill seekers are boys and girls.

Testosterone doesn't cause people to committ mass shootings or killings.

I'm in my 40s and I have high test. levels. I never liked driving fast, I did like driving at night blasting music. Never been in an accident, never had to go to the hospital for emergencies. Loved camping, hiking, playing football, video games, love big cities. My younger brother isn't into speed, my older brother has a heavy foot, but he's never been in accidents. His wife though admitted to some reckless behaviour when she was younger. Her and a friend driving across state, smoking some weed and drinking. And she is a speed demon.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/23/19 10:27am

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

Testosterone.

2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/23/19 11:25am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

OldFriends4Sale said:



PeggyO said:




OldFriends4Sale said:




But it cannot just be testosterone. All teens/young men have testosterone, so do women, just smaller amounts.
You mean as in 'driving fast'?



.


girls tend to chatter more and talk on their phones more while driving which lead to a lot of accidents and fatalities.




The reason I say this is that I grew up in a quiet, affluent town many years ago (I am prince's age) and it was young men who were speeding, totaling cars, screeching around corners, playing really loud music, drag-racing; some were killed. They were mostly nice guys but 'under the influence' of testosterone. They had to pay much higher rates of insurance till after 26-27.


They were not commiting crimes though, just were nuisances.


I agree with others, testosterone plus being 'troubled'



[Edited 8/22/19 13:04pm]




Eh it has to be more than that though. I mean I know a lot of women and girls that love to ride motorbikes, cars, boats and do this stuff really fast while having fun. I think that is just youth getting a taste of freedom, not testosterone.


Playing loud music isn't induced by testosterone.



I just think they were under the unfluence of youth and freedom. Girls go wild when they get out from under mom and dads watch. Thrill seekers are boys and girls.



Testosterone doesn't cause people to committ mass shootings or killings.


I'm in my 40s and I have high test. levels. I never liked driving fast, I did like driving at night blasting music. Never been in an accident, never had to go to the hospital for emergencies. Loved camping, hiking, playing football, video games, love big cities. My younger brother isn't into speed, my older brother has a heavy foot, but he's never been in accidents. His wife though admitted to some reckless behaviour when she was younger. Her and a friend driving across state, smoking some weed and drinking. And she is a speed demon.







I don’t think you’re being honest with yourself. It’s not just a studies that show this, but one just open their eyes and see it every day. Do you have kids?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/23/19 12:06pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Eh it has to be more than that though. I mean I know a lot of women and girls that love to ride motorbikes, cars, boats and do this stuff really fast while having fun. I think that is just youth getting a taste of freedom, not testosterone.


Playing loud music isn't induced by testosterone.

I just think they were under the unfluence of youth and freedom. Girls go wild when they get out from under mom and dads watch. Thrill seekers are boys and girls.

Testosterone doesn't cause people to committ mass shootings or killings.

I'm in my 40s and I have high test. levels. I never liked driving fast, I did like driving at night blasting music. Never been in an accident, never had to go to the hospital for emergencies. Loved camping, hiking, playing football, video games, love big cities. My younger brother isn't into speed, my older brother has a heavy foot, but he's never been in accidents. His wife though admitted to some reckless behaviour when she was younger. Her and a friend driving across state, smoking some weed and drinking. And she is a speed demon.

I don’t think you’re being honest with yourself. It’s not just a studies that show this, but one just open their eyes and see it every day. Do you have kids?

Why wouldn't I be honest with myself, it is more than testosterone. All young men are not reving up their cars and drag racing blasting music,... that stuff is wrapped up in a sense of freedom. It's the same thing that happens when male and female go off to college and get a taste of freedom away from home.

.

And none of this explains why young men committ more crime, not specifically why these few young men this years committed mass shootings.

.

If you all are trying to conclude if we reduce testosterone in young men, they won't do these things, ...

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/23/19 12:22pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

OldFriends4Sale said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

OldFriends4Sale said: I don’t think you’re being honest with yourself. It’s not just a studies that show this, but one just open their eyes and see it every day. Do you have kids?

Why wouldn't I be honest with myself, it is more than testosterone. All young men are not reving up their cars and drag racing blasting music,... that stuff is wrapped up in a sense of freedom. It's the same thing that happens when male and female go off to college and get a taste of freedom away from home.

.

And none of this explains why young men committ more crime, not specifically why these few young men this years committed mass shootings.

.

If you all are trying to conclude if we reduce testosterone in young men, they won't do these things, ...

No one is saying that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/26/19 8:23am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Top 10 Crimes and Offenses Committed by Juveniles

.

If you are a parent, you worry about what your child does when they are not with you. You wonder if they are behaving. You wonder if they are safe. You are hopeful that they are not getting into any trouble.

Unfortunately for some parents, they are forced to deal with a child who has broken the law. This can cause stress upon the family, not to mention severe financial consequences when a child is convicted. As a parent, knowing the types of crimes that juveniles commit most frequently can help you take a proactive approach.

1. Theft
The most common crime committed by a child is theft or larceny. This may mean that your child steals a shirt from the mall or a backpack out of a locker. Talk to your children about the consequences of taking something that doesn’t belong to them.

2. Vandalism
It’s all fun and games until you get caught. Drawing on a bathroom stall doesn’t seem like a big deal. Painting a name on the wall of an abandoned building is simply something to do. Make sure that your children understand that these types of things are considered crimes.

3. Alcohol Offenses
Purchasing or consuming alcohol under the legal drinking age is a crime. Know where your kids will be spending their time and, if they are headed to a party, make sure adults will be present.

4. Disorderly Conduct
Cursing at a teacher or fighting in the parking lot after school can be considered disorderly conduct. While this type of behavior typically won’t land your child in juvenile hall, they will still have to answer for their actions.

5. Assault
Shoving, bullying and physical disagreements among people can all amount to assault. Teach your little ones how to deal with anger and irritation in a positive way.

6. Marijuana Possession
Depending on the amount of marijuana your child is caught with, they can be in serious trouble. Always talk to your children about the dangers of drugs.

7. Tobacco Offenses
It is not unusual for kids to experiment with tobacco. Kids who regularly smoke, on the other hand, are setting themselves up for a charge if they don’t kick the habit.

8. Curfew Violations
This is simple enough. Make sure your kids are home before the city’s curfew and follow through with consequences if they are not.

9. School Discipline
Kids get in trouble at school from time to time. If this happens with your child, get to the root cause and work with school personnel to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

10. Traffic Violations
Kids are often cited for speeding or other minor traffic violations. Be sure that you have given your child all of the tools necessary to be a responsible driver.

.

http://www.orlandocriminalteam.com/blog/top-10-crimes-offenses-committed-juveniles/

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Why do young men commit more crimes?