independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 23rd Jul 2019 7:59pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > We’re approaching the 20th year of the 21st century.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

We’re approaching the 20th year of the 21st century.

Just 100 years ago our counterparts had just gone through a hell of a lot change. Wars and technological wonders. Electricity, cars, radio, movies airplanes and more just around the corner.

Here we are 100 years later, and as much as we can find a lot of faults, things are a hell of a lot better today for the average person than a 100 years ago. Medical advances alone.

The century was kicked off by a foolish and inexplicable war by the US

...and then quieted down with the civility of the great President Obama, who brought dignity to the office of President in the US. And got us out of the worst economic meltdown in almost a century.

And now with Turd, we have a duly elected buffoon of character right out of the worst of third world dictators in charge of one of the more powerful nations.

What do you all make of it?

What do you all foresee for the 21st century?
Persistent Turd is the shit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/15/19 10:43am

maplenpg

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Just 100 years ago our counterparts had just gone through a hell of a lot change. Wars and technological wonders. Electricity, cars, radio, movies airplanes and more just around the corner. Here we are 100 years later, and as much as we can find a lot of faults, things are a hell of a lot better today for the average person than a 100 years ago. Medical advances alone. The century was kicked off by a foolish and inexplicable war by the US ...and then quieted down with the civility of the great President Obama, who brought dignity to the office of President in the US. And got us out of the worst economic meltdown in almost a century. And now with Turd, we have a duly elected buffoon of character right out of the worst of third world dictators in charge of one of the more powerful nations. What do you all make of it? What do you all foresee for the 21st century?

I think in general things will become more divisive. As urgency over climate change becomes more real, as the rich/poor divide continues to grow, as politics become nastier etc...

I think that we'll at some point have a massive tech catastrophe. I'm not sure what, but something like that someone will empty a bank of all its money, or data from somewhere will be sold causing really misery to thousands. Again I'm not sure what form it will take, but I am sure it'll change the way we use tech.

I'll ponder some more on this...

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum', at least have a reason to do so.
Reply #2 posted 06/15/19 10:51am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

maplenpg said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Just 100 years ago our counterparts had just gone through a hell of a lot change. Wars and technological wonders. Electricity, cars, radio, movies airplanes and more just around the corner. Here we are 100 years later, and as much as we can find a lot of faults, things are a hell of a lot better today for the average person than a 100 years ago. Medical advances alone. The century was kicked off by a foolish and inexplicable war by the US ...and then quieted down with the civility of the great President Obama, who brought dignity to the office of President in the US. And got us out of the worst economic meltdown in almost a century. And now with Turd, we have a duly elected buffoon of character right out of the worst of third world dictators in charge of one of the more powerful nations. What do you all make of it? What do you all foresee for the 21st century?

I think in general things will become more divisive. As urgency over climate change becomes more real, as the rich/poor divide continues to grow, as politics become nastier etc...

I think that we'll at some point have a massive tech catastrophe. I'm not sure what, but something like that someone will empty a bank of all its money, or data from somewhere will be sold causing really misery to thousands. Again I'm not sure what form it will take, but I am sure it'll change the way we use tech.

Diverse? I kinda see where you’re coming from on a political level, but even there I disagree. Even with the polarity in politics today the average man has a far better standard of living than at any point in history.

I think we clearly see things have become amazingly homogeneous. From the food, culture, music, and especially crops and wildlife.

I think for the sake of understanding the world around us an possibly finding answers right under our noses we should work on preserving as much diversity as possible at every level including philosophically.
Reply #3 posted 06/15/19 11:02am

OnlyNDaUsa

I hope we make a big swing back towards liberty. There are too many on both sides (Mostly the left) that think they know best. The fact that some see keeping what they have earned... and in many cases wealth they created as bad!

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
Reply #4 posted 06/15/19 11:12am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

OnlyNDaUsa said:

I hope we make a big swing back towards liberty. There are too many on both sides (Mostly the left) that think they know best. The fact that some see keeping what they have earned... and in many cases wealth they created as bad!

You spelled hatred and right wrong
Reply #5 posted 06/15/19 11:27am

poppys

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

maplenpg said:

Diverse? I kinda see where you’re coming from on a political level, but even there I disagree. Even with the polarity in politics today the average man has a far better standard of living than at any point in history. I think we clearly see things have become amazingly homogeneous. From the food, culture, music, and especially crops and wildlife. I think for the sake of understanding the world around us an possibly finding answers right under our noses we should work on preserving as much diversity as possible at every level including philosophically.

I think she said divisive.

Reply #6 posted 06/15/19 11:36am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

poppys said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

maplenpg said:

Diverse? I kinda see where you’re coming from on a political level, but even there I disagree. Even with the polarity in politics today the average man has a far better standard of living than at any point in history. I think we clearly see things have become amazingly homogeneous. From the food, culture, music, and especially crops and wildlife. I think for the sake of understanding the world around us an possibly finding answers right under our noses we should work on preserving as much diversity as possible at every level including philosophically.

Yikes. I’m sorry. I misread that.
...and onlyindausa did a bang up job of demonstrating that too lol

...But back on my own thoughts on homogeneity, this homogeneity is made of of a far richer soup of ideas and flavors than ever before. This melting pot has created a far richer society together than separate. We have all benefitted from the sharing of ideas and cultures. So the homogeneity is not necessarily a bad thing. Quite the opposite. And we still see it evolving.
[Edited 6/15/19 11:37am]
Reply #7 posted 06/16/19 1:05am

maplenpg

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

poppys said:

Yikes. I’m sorry. I misread that. ...and onlyindausa did a bang up job of demonstrating that too lol ...But back on my own thoughts on homogeneity, this homogeneity is made of of a far richer soup of ideas and flavors than ever before. This melting pot has created a far richer society together than separate. We have all benefitted from the sharing of ideas and cultures. So the homogeneity is not necessarily a bad thing. Quite the opposite. And we still see it evolving. [Edited 6/15/19 11:37am]

I absolutely agree, but many don't. We are nowhere near a state of acceptance of other cultures and nowhere near acceptance of all colours, even in Western culture. There is a long way to go - and having someone in charge who is so openly critical of people from other countries & cultures coming to America does not help create an all-inclusive narrative.

Reply #8 posted 06/16/19 4:23am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

maplenpg said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

poppys said:

Yikes. I’m sorry. I misread that. ...and onlyindausa did a bang up job of demonstrating that too lol ...But back on my own thoughts on homogeneity, this homogeneity is made of of a far richer soup of ideas and flavors than ever before. This melting pot has created a far richer society together than separate. We have all benefitted from the sharing of ideas and cultures. So the homogeneity is not necessarily a bad thing. Quite the opposite. And we still see it evolving. [Edited 6/15/19 11:37am]

I absolutely agree, but many don't. We are nowhere near a state of acceptance of other cultures and nowhere near acceptance of all colours, even in Western culture. There is a long way to go - and having someone in charge who is so openly critical of people from other countries & cultures coming to America does not help create an all-inclusive narrative.

Yep, we have a lot of work ahead of us in the betterment of society.
Reply #9 posted 06/16/19 4:58am

maplenpg

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

maplenpg said:

Yep, we have a lot of work ahead of us in the betterment of society.

Agreed. Sadly I doubt we could even get agreement about what 'the betterment of society' would look like.

Reply #10 posted 06/16/19 5:55am

benni

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

We are getting ready to hit the 100 year mark since the Great Depression. Wonder if Trump's trade wars will cause another depression around that same time and how bad that will be in today's world.

We have made many medical advances, but for many those medical advances are often out of reach when they don't have insurance, or they go bankrupt trying to get the treatments they need.

I just don't see where we are better off today than a 100 years ago, because it seems like we are still really in the same boat back then as we are today. In many ways, I see where things have gotten worse.

Reply #11 posted 06/16/19 10:57am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

benni said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

We are getting ready to hit the 100 year mark since the Great Depression. Wonder if Trump's trade wars will cause another depression around that same time and how bad that will be in today's world.

We have made many medical advances, but for many those medical advances are often out of reach when they don't have insurance, or they go bankrupt trying to get the treatments they need.

I just don't see where we are better off today than a 100 years ago, because it seems like we are still really in the same boat back then as we are today. In many ways, I see where things have gotten worse.

Nooo. So much change for the better in every way. Health and medical care alone. Like I said previously, there is still so much to do, but the average American has it so much better.
And where it comes to human rights, when it comes to minorities and sexual orientation we’ve come a long way. Right wingers have had to be brought along kicking and screaming, but you’d be hard pressed to see too many politicians on the right openly speaking out as they would just 20-30 years ago. They can’t get elected anymore.
I credit young people and their parents for not allowing hate and discrimination in infiltrate their daily lives as other generations did.
Sure there are angry voices that want ignorance to reign again, calling this “political correctness” as something bad, but their daughters, mothers, sons and grandchildren, and society in general is all the better for it.
Reply #12 posted 06/16/19 12:09pm

onlyforaminute

Id say the bar to what is basic has "raised " because there is just so much more stuff to have. The dynamics to access to what is better than the basic is about the same.
[Edited 6/16/19 12:11pm]
Year of Return 2019
Reply #13 posted 06/16/19 12:32pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

onlyforaminute said:

Id say the bar to what is basic has "raised " because there is just so much more stuff to have. The dynamics to access to what is better than the basic is about the same.
[Edited 6/16/19 12:11pm]

The bar has been raised no doubt about it. Humanity has come a long way. 100 years ago we were at the mercy of nature. Right now we have the ability to destroy the natural world as we know it.
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > We’re approaching the 20th year of the 21st century.