independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 20th Jul 2019 10:48am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > America has a Bill Maher problem.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 06/15/19 10:48am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

How can I respect anyone who believes that they are very knowledgeable, yet know so little about the history of Iowa REPUBLICAN Congressman Steve King and his long history of racist statements and support for open White Supremacists? Is this willful ignorance?

how can i respect anyone who belives it is okay to tell racist jokes?


but please give 5 examples of his racist statements.

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 06/15/19 12:04pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Who is to define if a joke is "racist " or not?
As I said MANY times, I'm not going to pretend something "offended " me if it didn't. And especially if the whole point is to conform to someone else's agenda...

I remember once walking down the street with 2 very close friends who were Jewish. There was a dime on the sidewalk. The two guys said TO EACH OTHER: "Lets see who is the real Jew by whose the fastest to bend down for that dime!", and they (and I) cracked up in hysterical laughter. Was this "racist " (or "anti-Semitic")? Maybe some might think so, especially these days.... We didn't see it that way, but others may. Maybe some have a lesser tolerance for "politically incorrect " humor, and don't understand the concept of context and intent
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 06/15/19 12:58pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

For those too lazy to do their own research on Steve King, or who just tune out of the news, here's a taste . To quote Robert Deniro in "Taxi Driver" : "SUCK ON THIS !" :

http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html" target="_blank">http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html

https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans" target="_blank">https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans

https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html" target="_blank">https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html

https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c

https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84

[Edited 6/15/19 13:04pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 06/16/19 8:39am

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

For those too lazy to do their own research on Steve King, or who just tune out of the news, here's a taste . To quote Robert Deniro in "Taxi Driver" : "SUCK ON THIS !" :

http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html" target="_blank">http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html

https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans" target="_blank">https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans

https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html" target="_blank">https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html

https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c

https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84


Thanks jj. Pretending he doesn't know Steve Fucking King's doings is absurd. If for no other reason than we talk about him all the time, and there are very few posts here period that Only doesn't tag.

Trump turned King down last week. He wanted to ride with him on AF1 to Iowa. Even the Roy Moore (pedophile) supporter decided not to be seen with King. Give me a break. Guess they didn't report that on Fox News.

What gets me is that he has been a Rep in Iowa for SIXTEEN YEARS. These are the voters who pride themselves on picking the President, rah rah rah. Pisses me off.

[Edited 6/16/19 8:43am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 06/16/19 10:21am

13cjk13

poppys said:

jjhunsecker said:

For those too lazy to do their own research on Steve King, or who just tune out of the news, here's a taste . To quote Robert Deniro in "Taxi Driver" : "SUCK ON THIS !" :

http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html" target="_blank">http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html

https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans" target="_blank">https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans

https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html" target="_blank">https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html

https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c

https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84


Thanks jj. Pretending he doesn't know Steve Fucking King's doings is absurd. If for no other reason than we talk about him all the time, and there are very few posts here period that Only doesn't tag.

Trump turned King down last week. He wanted to ride with him on AF1 to Iowa. Even the Roy Moore (pedophile) supporter decided not to be seen with King. Give me a break. Guess they didn't report that on Fox News.

What gets me is that he has been a Rep in Iowa for SIXTEEN YEARS. These are the voters who pride themselves on picking the President, rah rah rah. Pisses me off.

[Edited 6/16/19 8:43am]

Lots of stellar people in that republican party, huh.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 06/16/19 10:22am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

You support Steve King you are a racist, full stop.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 06/16/19 10:27am

jjhunsecker

avatar

poppys said:



jjhunsecker said:


For those too lazy to do their own research on Steve King, or who just tune out of the news, here's a taste . To quote Robert Deniro in "Taxi Driver" : "SUCK ON THIS !" :



http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html" target="_blank">http://nymag.com/intellig...-silk.html



https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2...uotes.html



https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans" target="_blank">https://www.vox.com/2018/...epublicans



https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html" target="_blank">https://www.cnn.com/2019/...index.html



https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...df123dfc2c



https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84" target="_blank">https://www.huffpost.com/...7b8c5f6a84





Thanks jj. Pretending he doesn't know Steve Fucking King's doings is absurd. If for no other reason than we talk about him all the time, and there are very few posts here period that Only doesn't tag.

Trump turned King down last week. He wanted to ride with him on AF1 to Iowa. Even the Roy Moore (pedophile) supporter decided not to be seen with King. Give me a break. Guess they didn't report that on Fox News.

What gets me is that he has been a Rep in Iowa for SIXTEEN YEARS. These are the voters who pride themselves on picking the President, rah rah rah. Pisses me off.


[Edited 6/16/19 8:43am]



Of course it's absurd. He feigns ignorance of King's long ignoble history, to avoid having a prominent Republican Conservative look bad... but he can tell you every joke Bill Maher made back to 1986... the difference being that King IS NOT jokiu
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 06/16/19 10:27am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

You know this guy's work? He's lucky he amuses us.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 06/16/19 11:02am

jjhunsecker

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

You know this guy's work? He's lucky he amuses us.



He's as amusing as a bleeding hemorrhoid
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 06/16/19 12:22pm

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

2freaky4church1 said:


You know this guy's work? He's lucky he amuses us.


He's as amusing as a bleeding hemorrhoid

It's a page from the Trump and David Duke playbook.

"Well, just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke. okay? I don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don't know.

"I don't know, did he endorse me or what's going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you're asking me a question that I'm supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about. …

"I don't know any -- honestly, I don't know David Duke. I don't believe I have ever met him. I'm pretty sure I didn't meet him. And I just don't know anything about him."

Later that day, Trump tweeted a video of his earlier disavowal of Duke, and blamed his failure to do it again on CNN on "a very bad earpiece."

As fellow fact-checkers at the Washington Post and Factcheck.org have pointed out, Trump knew enough about Duke to denounce him several times over the past two decades.

[Edited 6/16/19 19:41pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 06/19/19 9:37pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Notice once I posted the facts about Steve King- we get crickets....

He can't justify or explain away the facts, so as usual, he just disappears....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 06/20/19 6:49am

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

Notice once I posted the facts about Steve King- we get crickets....

He can't justify or explain away the facts, so as usual, he just disappears....


Exactly. And NOT amusing. He has used that Steve King blackout trick so many times.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 06/21/19 5:51am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

Notice once I posted the facts about Steve King- we get crickets....

He can't justify or explain away the facts, so as usual, he just disappears....

oh I saw some broken links...get them to work and I will go look...

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 06/21/19 5:54am

maplenpg

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

jjhunsecker said:

Notice once I posted the facts about Steve King- we get crickets....

He can't justify or explain away the facts, so as usual, he just disappears....

oh I saw some broken links...get them to work and I will go look...

The links on the right work, but I suspect you know that.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 06/21/19 6:09am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

maplenpg said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

oh I saw some broken links...get them to work and I will go look...

The links on the right work, but I suspect you know that.

so they do... so mostly it is about English as an official language? Not racist...dumb but not racist.

a general disdain for illegal immigration... not racist


some overly generalized remakes about illegals committing crimes (which is a big problem but mostly for other illegals as they are afraid to report the crimes)

He is said to have a 'confederat' flag on his desk? that is messed up, as I said its meaning is not important as him knowing how others view it...

He made some dumb remarks about white nationalism... and at first I would have tended to agree with him...that being white and putting your own nation first... was not bad. But that is not what "white nationalist" means. (like racism is not just race based bigotry)


So if that is the worst he has done...and I agree it is not good... I am just not seeing whart JJ wants me to see... which if he is at all honest... he will accept... Right?

but I pleadge I will never vote for him! haha

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 06/21/19 3:05pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

He's right- I totally did not expect him to find any of these remarks and associations and endorsements "racist "... because King is a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN...,

Now, a stupid joke about Indians owning Dunkin Donuts by Joe Biden, or Hillary Clinton talking about using hot sauce, or Bill Maher actually using the dreaded "N Word"... THAT is the REAL RACISM! (Not to mention making films highlighting your own culture- something directors from Fellini to Bergman to Kurosawa have done for decades)

Once a partisan suckass, always one...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 06/21/19 3:27pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

He's right- I totally did not expect him to find any of these remarks and associations and endorsements "racist "... because King is a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN..., Now, a stupid joke about Indians owning Dunkin Donuts by Joe Biden, or Hillary Clinton talking about using hot sauce, or Bill Maher actually using the dreaded "N Word"... THAT is the REAL RACISM! (Not to mention making films highlighting your own culture- something directors from Fellini to Bergman to Kurosawa have done for decades) Once a partisan suckass, always one...

you defend maher.. and I have issues with what he said... I am not sure if it was racist...

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 06/22/19 10:24am

jjhunsecker

avatar

I will decide for myself what I find offensive or racist, and will never do so just to placate someone else's agenda

Plus Maher is a comedian on television... Steve King is a congressman who can push for and vote for legislation that actually affects people's lives. That's a very big difference in my book
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 06/22/19 12:58pm

poppys

Steve King is racist colon cancer trash vomit. Bill Maher is not.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 06/25/19 3:33pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Friday Maher was awful again. He went on about pc again. Overrating the effect of the woke liberals. Went on about Trans rights. ug. Argued with Thom Hartmann about AOC using the term concentration camp. Maher is limp.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 06/25/19 3:54pm

IanRG

2freaky4church1 said:

Friday Maher was awful again. He went on about pc again. Overrating the effect of the woke liberals. Went on about Trans rights. ug. Argued with Thom Hartmann about AOC using the term concentration camp. Maher is limp.

.

So ... you have the choice of whether you watch him or what you take away from what he said. My take: he is a comedian first, political commentator/host second.

.

From you post we don't know what he was for or against in any of these issues or why you agree or disagree with his or the other person's position.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 06/25/19 5:35pm

poppys

IanRG said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Friday Maher was awful again. He went on about pc again. Overrating the effect of the woke liberals. Went on about Trans rights. ug. Argued with Thom Hartmann about AOC using the term concentration camp. Maher is limp.

.

So ... you have the choice of whether you watch him or what you take away from what he said. My take: he is a comedian first, political commentator/host second.

.

From you post we don't know what he was for or against in any of these issues or why you agree or disagree with his or the other person's position.


Exactly. Freaky is the one with the Bill Maher problem, whatever he's talking about - not America.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 06/25/19 11:36pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

poppys said:



IanRG said:




2freaky4church1 said:


Friday Maher was awful again. He went on about pc again. Overrating the effect of the woke liberals. Went on about Trans rights. ug. Argued with Thom Hartmann about AOC using the term concentration camp. Maher is limp.



.


So ... you have the choice of whether you watch him or what you take away from what he said. My take: he is a comedian first, political commentator/host second.


.


From you post we don't know what he was for or against in any of these issues or why you agree or disagree with his or the other person's position.




Exactly. Freaky is the one with the Bill Maher problem, whatever he's talking about - not America.



True- I don't have a problem with him. I agree with him most of the time, disagree with him sometimes, and find him very funny almost all of the time
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 06/26/19 8:13am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Maher has no issues, he just puts his finger to the wind.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 06/26/19 8:59am

poppys

2freaky4church1 said:

Maher has no issues, he just puts his finger to the wind.


So what? He's a COMEDIAN who does social and political satire. Period. You act like he's a politician. Stick to Morning Joe I guess.

Again, America doesn't find Maher a problem - you do. That's fine, that's your opinion.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 06/26/19 9:33am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

He has a lot of power.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 06/26/19 1:14pm

IanRG

2freaky4church1 said:

He has a lot of power.

.

He either just sticks his finger up into to the wind and thereby merely reflects the prevailing view or he has a lot of power. It cannot be both.

.

If he is only reflecting the prevailing view then all he is doing is reflecting this view. That is not him having a lot of power. If it is already the prevailing view, he is not influencing it. If he is not doing it for anything but the LOLs and ratings, what is his power?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 06/26/19 3:03pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

People don't go on his show for their health. He has massive power so they go on to promote themselves. Also why you tend to not see leftists on his show.

Maher complained for years that Obama wouldn't do an interview because of his power.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 06/26/19 4:28pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

People don't go on his show for their health. He has massive power so they go on to promote themselves. Also why you tend to not see leftists on his show.



Maher complained for years that Obama wouldn't do an interview because of his power.



Some wouldn't do his show because of his POLITICAL INCORRECTNESS... he will make a joke out of almost anything (including positions he personally agrees with). And some are uncomfortable with that brand of humor
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 06/26/19 8:28pm

IanRG

2freaky4church1 said:

People don't go on his show for their health. He has massive power so they go on to promote themselves. Also why you tend to not see leftists on his show.

Maher complained for years that Obama wouldn't do an interview because of his power.

.

That he has a show that will allow people to promote themselves is not a measure of the comedic host's power. It is just a result of the show's size of audience.

.

People from all sides choose which shows they will go on because it is the guests that have this power. That Maher cannot get people from one side or people with real power like the president on his show is a demonstration that he does not have the power or influence that the interviewed person recognises or wants. Has Trump been on Real time or is he just as dismissive of Maher's "power" as Obama was?

[Edited 6/26/19 22:01pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > America has a Bill Maher problem.