independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 16th Nov 2019 6:39pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Juvenile Curfew being enforced here
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 06/11/19 4:55am

2elijah

poppys said:

2elijah said:

poppys said:

When I first heard it, I thought no, it's taking away their freedom, especially 8pm in the quarter. Then, after thinking about it, maybe it's not a bad idea. Adults run amok in the quarter after the dinner hours, go-cups of alcohol are legal on Bourbon St. It's mostly tourists anyway, for the most part the locals down there are working.

If it keeps younger kids off the streets, and they still have weekends, maybe it's worth a try. It will target the parents that aren't keeping track of their children. They say they are not going to get too harsh about it, just a deterrent, so we'll see what really happens.

That's why I started the thread to see what others here think.

I guess it depends on how well they train their officers to approach the situation.

Yes, we can pretty much guess how that is goiing to go. Some LE will play nice, some will be complete assholes.

There is a historical aspect to kids getting bands together and playing music in the French Quarter.

Congo Square is an African-American landmark because the enslaved were always allowed to play drums and gather on Sundays, so the music has never stopped there since the very beginning of the drums being brought here from Africa, (alongside Native Americans, some also enslaved, with their own drum and musical culture). Unlike other places where music was not permitted and outlawed.

Huge tradition of music and musical families here, think Wynton Marsalis, John Batiste, Trombone Shorty. Playing in the Quarter for kids here is like playing in the NY subways, way to hone your chops.

But of course the tourist industry that fuels the quarter, wants to control it somehow, Tourists love the street music, but not the crime. So there is a huge push/pull with all of that. Visiting adults do go nuts there, get really stupid drunk and endanger others or get in trouble themselves. Similar to the cruise ship mentality in the Caribbean. So the tourist industry is trying to keep them safe while they get their $$ for the unique "local flavor".

[Edited 6/6/19 8:29am]

Good points and thanks for that historic info. I’ve always loved the sound of the New Orleans-type music. A very interesting culture that I know little about. I can hear some Caribbean sound to some of the music. The spicy food reminds me of the Caribbean flavor as well. I know it has a connection to the Haitian culture as well. I always wanted to visit New Orleans, but haven’t had a chance yet. Maybe one day.

But yes, I do get how they’re trying to balance out keeping youth and tourists safe from bad elements of society. Also from keeping some youth, from being tempted towards/or falling prey to those elements. Not to mention, preventing youth from confrontations with possible rogue cops/or basically officers who may take their authority too far, resulting in unnecessary, excessive force incidents.
Rest in Power Elijah Cummings. Thank you for your fight for human rights/justice. Your legacy will never die in vain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 06/15/19 10:23am

TD3

Illinois House approved lowering 'Home Alone' Law Age To 12. Why because single mother don't work 9 to 5 jobs, have two job and/or they do shift work. Chicago has curfew law to but they have a lot more shit to worry about.

I think it still applies, most juveniles commit crime between school letting out and 6pm. In the summer time mid-night basketball, swimming, and tennis curbs juvenile delinquency significantly. My brother told me that New Orleans parks department, is off the chain. So why aren't young people accessing park deparment options?

When its all said done, these generations of parents arern't rearing their children. Its work, hard work and if you really don't have it in you, don't have children. Damn. lol

================================

- E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Juvenile Curfew being enforced here