independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 23rd Jan 2020 3:14pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > It's time for U.S. Blacks to separate from the herd
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 6 of 14 « First<2345678910>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #150 posted 04/05/19 5:48pm

poppys

2elijah said:

Gray, here’s a part of the article from the link I provided: I actually ran into this article by chance, as I had no idea the topic of reparations, was something being considered or discussed by democratic candidates running for the 2020 presidency: https://www.google.com/ur...6643370303 The 2020 Democratic primary debate over reparations, explained (Edited for compliance) “..That attention intensified after some 2020 Democratic candidates commented on reparations to the New York Times and the Washington Post last month. So far, a handful of candidates have expressed some level of support for reparations: Sens. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro have called the issue important or acknowledged how history supports calls for restitution. Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) has been running on a policy that would help close the racial wealth gap, while Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) has declined to support reparations but argues that his focus on policies helping distressed communities in general would particularly aid black communities. The candidate most fervently backing reparations is Marianne Williamson, a self-help guru and spiritual adviser who wants to set aside $100 billion to $500 billion for a reparations program. Several high-profile candidates have acknowledged the damages of slavery; the century of legalized oppression, terrorism, and disenfranchisement that followed; and how the vestiges of those systems remain embedded in society in practices such as mass incarceration. Some candidates have also noted that reparations — the process of apologizing and providing restitution to those harmed by slavery and its legacy — would serve as payment for a debt America has yet to truly acknowledge 150 years after emancipation. But they’ve stopped short of actually calling for reparations programs. Instead, experts say that some candidates have muddied the waters by framing universal programs that would help black communities as a form of reparations — which they aren’t.” (Click on link to continue reading)

This is interesting 2e. I know of Marianne Williamson. She's kind of the queen of the woo-woo community from way back when she wrote A Course in Miracles. Had no idea she was running for Pres.

- E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #151 posted 04/05/19 6:08pm

2elijah

poppys said:

2elijah said:

Gray, here’s a part of the article from the link I provided: I actually ran into this article by chance, as I had no idea the topic of reparations, was something being considered or discussed by democratic candidates running for the 2020 presidency: https://www.google.com/ur...6643370303 The 2020 Democratic primary debate over reparations, explained (Edited for compliance) “..That attention intensified after some 2020 Democratic candidates commented on reparations to the New York Times and the Washington Post last month. So far, a handful of candidates have expressed some level of support for reparations: Sens. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro have called the issue important or acknowledged how history supports calls for restitution. Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) has been running on a policy that would help close the racial wealth gap, while Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) has declined to support reparations but argues that his focus on policies helping distressed communities in general would particularly aid black communities. The candidate most fervently backing reparations is Marianne Williamson, a self-help guru and spiritual adviser who wants to set aside $100 billion to $500 billion for a reparations program. Several high-profile candidates have acknowledged the damages of slavery; the century of legalized oppression, terrorism, and disenfranchisement that followed; and how the vestiges of those systems remain embedded in society in practices such as mass incarceration. Some candidates have also noted that reparations — the process of apologizing and providing restitution to those harmed by slavery and its legacy — would serve as payment for a debt America has yet to truly acknowledge 150 years after emancipation. But they’ve stopped short of actually calling for reparations programs. Instead, experts say that some candidates have muddied the waters by framing universal programs that would help black communities as a form of reparations — which they aren’t.” (Click on link to continue reading)

This is interesting 2e. I know of Marianne Williamson. She's kind of the queen of the woo-woo community from way back when she wrote A Course in Miracles. Had no idea she was running for Pres.

No prob. I’ve never heard of her, but will do some research to see what she’s about.
Happy New Year!
Reply #152 posted 04/05/19 6:08pm

2elijah

Graycap23 said:

2elijah said:

Gotta laugh at folks who accuse and believe that Black Americans, who speak of America‘s documented, history of racism/present-day racism, is because they like to ‘play victim’ and blame society for one’s failures, lol.
[Edited 4/5/19 17:24pm]

Yes..but I have no interest in those folks.
They clearly can related to those who created this racist nonsense.
Im over it.

I hear you.
Happy New Year!
Reply #153 posted 04/05/19 6:15pm

OnlyNDaUsa

2elijah said:

Gotta laugh at folks who accuse and believe that Black Americans, who speak of America‘s documented, history of racism/present-day racism, is because they like to ‘play victim’ and blame society for one’s failures, lol. [Edited 4/5/19 17:24pm]

said while also asking for FREE STUFF!

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #154 posted 04/05/19 7:04pm

poppys

I can't even imagine the cost of labor in just one of the antebellum mansions here. There are hundreds in my neighborhood alone. That isn't even counting the plantations. These were just the winter residences. The FREE workmanship is mind-boggling.

37424d28b87c2323c7edd043d9c826d9.jpg

[Edited 4/5/19 19:12pm]

Reply #155 posted 04/05/19 7:10pm

uPtoWnNY

Graycap23 said:

2elijah said:
Gotta laugh at folks who accuse and believe that Black Americans, who speak of America‘s documented, history of racism/present-day racism, is because they like to ‘play victim’ and blame society for one’s failures, lol. [Edited 4/5/19 17:24pm]
Yes..but I have no interest in those folks. They clearly can related to those who created this racist nonsense. Im over it.

Ignore the peanut gallery......just deal with folks who bring something to the table instead of smartass comments.....folks who can understand why black americans get frustrated at the bullshit that still goes on.

Reply #156 posted 04/05/19 7:23pm

Graycap23

uPtoWnNY said:

Graycap23 said:

2elijah said:

Yes..but I have no interest in those folks. They clearly can related to those who created this racist nonsense. Im over it.

Ignore the peanut gallery.....just deal with folks who bring something to the table instead of smartass comments.....folks who can understand why black americans get frustrated at the bullshit that still goes on.

8 trillion dollars in slave damages alone. That isnt even counting the Native Indian damage.
FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
Reply #157 posted 04/05/19 9:47pm

jjhunsecker

Some idiot said Blacks just want "free stuff"....

Yet did the Japanese internment victims who got recompensation just get "free stuff" ?

Or how about Jewish Holocaust victims ?

Reply #158 posted 04/05/19 9:57pm

Graycap23

jjhunsecker said:

Yet did the Japanese internment victims who got recompensation just get "free stuff" ?

How about the free trillions stolen from native people around the globe?
Reply #159 posted 04/06/19 3:44am

SuperFurryAnim
al

jjhunsecker said:

For the most part no.
What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
Reply #160 posted 04/06/19 4:18am

2elijah

uPtoWnNY said:

Graycap23 said:

2elijah said:

Ignore the peanut gallery.....just deal with folks who bring something to the table instead of smartass comments.....folks who can understand why black americans get frustrated at the bullshit that still goes on.

Agree, because most of those comments stem from jealousy and ignorance.
Happy New Year!
Reply #161 posted 04/06/19 4:31am

2elijah

jjhunsecker said:

Ignore them, because you will always find folks like that, who are the ‘Hannity’ types, who blow smoke out their asses, and are jealous, racist, ignorant and afraid of the progress of Black Americans in this country. They do not have the the best interests of Black Americans in this country, that’s why they make ignorant comments like that.

They get pissed off whenever Blacks discuss America’s history of slavery and its present-day racism. Yet, they (the ‘Hannity’ types) get amnesia about the ‘free stuff’, like the stolen land from the Native Americans, free labor from enslaved Africans/Black Americans, and other free stuff their ancestors received/took advantage of, which made them the first recipients of America’s first welfare system.
[Edited 4/6/19 4:35am]
Happy New Year!
Reply #162 posted 04/06/19 5:33am

2elijah

poppys said:

I can't even imagine the cost of labor in just one of the antebellum mansions here. There are hundreds in my neighborhood alone. That isn't even counting the plantations. These were just the winter residences. The FREE workmanship is mind-boggling.

[Edited 4/5/19 19:12pm]

Many of them built with slave labor. I’ve seen some similar to that in Florida. Not to mention so many places with the title ‘Plantation ‘ attached to them.
Happy New Year!
Reply #163 posted 04/06/19 5:51am

OnlyNDaUsa

jjhunsecker said:

huh some have been....some here want free land, to pay no taxes (Lots of free stuff), free college...

tell me how that is not asking for free stuff?

and again if we did it in a few years things would be worse than now...

and some math fail said "$8 tillion" why would each slave get 2 Million?

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #164 posted 04/06/19 5:56am

2elijah

Interesting comment on reparations from presidential candidate, Julian Castro:
Source:
https://www.google.com/ur...1114027493

Hardball

@hardball
"It is interesting to me that under our Constitution and otherwise, that we compensate people if we take their property. Shouldn't we compensate people if they were property sanctioned by the state?" @juliancastro on reparations. #Hardball-

8:37 PM - Feb 25, 2019
[Edited 4/6/19 5:58am]
Happy New Year!
Reply #165 posted 04/06/19 6:00am

SuperFurryAnim
al

2elijah said:

Interesting comment on reparations from presidential candidate, Julian Castro:
Source:
https://www.google.com/ur...1114027493

Hardball

@hardball
"It is interesting to me that under our Constitution and otherwise, that we compensate people if we take their property. Shouldn't we compensate people if they were property sanctioned by the state?" @juliancastro on reparations. #Hardball-

8:37 PM - Feb 25, 2019
[Edited 4/6/19 5:58am]

The 1% of people that owned slaves should pay if anyone does. No one should ever have to pay for crimes they never committed.
Reply #166 posted 04/06/19 6:04am

OnlyNDaUsa

2elijah said:

Interesting comment on reparations from presidential candidate, Julian Castro: Source: https://www.google.com/ur...1114027493 Hardball ✔ @hardball "It is interesting to me that under our Constitution and otherwise, that we compensate people if we take their property. Shouldn't we compensate people if they were property sanctioned by the state?" @juliancastro on reparations. #Hardball- 940 8:37 PM - Feb 25, 2019 [Edited 4/6/19 5:58am]

maybe at the time or soon after but not decades after the fact when they are all dead.

If your great grandfather lent my great grandfather $5... would you owe me and my siblings and all my cousins and aunts and uncles etc who were his living descendants $5 each?

See what some who want this seem to want is money they did not earn and not just their share of what was owed years ago but they want the full amount as a freed slave should have gotten.. what you are saying is your life situation is identical to being a slave. That is pretty disrespectful to the 4million actual slaves!

Reply #167 posted 04/06/19 6:06am

poppys

2elijah said:

poppys said:

Many of them built with slave labor. I’ve seen some similar to that in Florida. Not to mention so many places with the title ‘Plantation ‘ attached to them.

Like all of them in that period.
That's why I posted it when Only said FREE STUFF. There are photos of even more intricate mansions right here in my neighborhood, but they are too big to post.

Slaves were sent to France to learn how to do that kind of ironwork, no one could do that here. Tulane University has vast material on all this in the Amistad Research Center and the birth of the music in the Hogan Jazz Archive. Some slaves (including their children) were highly educated in Europe in law and medicine. It is not an accident that Plessy v Ferguson was filed in New Orleans.

[Edited 4/6/19 6:30am]

Reply #168 posted 04/06/19 6:14am

2elijah

Gray, Poppy, I found this vid on Marianne Williamson, 2020 Presidential candidate. I’ve actually never heard of her, before I posted that article yesterday, on the Dem candidates running for the presidency, and their pledges on reparations for descendants of African slaves in this country.

As we know, reparations has always been a hot-button issue, in this country, and angers many who don’t feel that descendants of past African and Black Americans, who were enslaved, don’t deserve reparations.

But the point many of those in disagreement are missing, (or because they just don’t give a shit), is that the reparations issue goes well beyond slavery. It also involves the post-slavery, racial discrimination laws - Jim Crow/Black codes against Blacks, including the lynchings/murder/rape during and after slavery, and domestic terrorism many Blacks and their communities experienced by racists, etc., Many of the post-slavery incidents, occurred prior to the early 1960s, and after the civil rights act was signed, so again, the reparations issue is not just about what happened during slavery, but also the racial discrimination that continued thereafter towards Black Americans.

What do you all think about Marianne Williamson views on Reparations? I’m pretty sure she will anger some folks for speaking on America’s ugly and shameful history. She certainly doesn’t cut corners on the topic, and I find her comments interesting. She is pretty direct with her views on Reparations.

Gray, my view on reparations if it actually goes through is not money, but like you suggested Gray.. no taxes, free education or land. It remains to be seen if the Reparations issue ever gets off the table.

What say you or anyone else on her comments regarding reparations for descendants of African/Black American slaves?

[Edited 4/6/19 21:20pm]
Happy New Year!
Reply #169 posted 04/06/19 6:18am

MarySharon

EmmaMcG said:

I'm not black, or American for that matter, but if you really feel that way, maybe you should just move to another country? Canada, the UK, France, even here to Ireland. The world is a big place. Racists are a minority. If you genuinely feel persecuted where you are and that nothing can be done, then the obvious answer is to move somewhere else.

no no no!

Too racist

Is there any place of refuge one can flee from this insanity
Reply #170 posted 04/06/19 6:37am

2elijah

poppys said:

2elijah said:

poppys said:

Like all of them in that period.
That's why I posted it when Only said FREE STUFF. Slaves were sent to France to learn how to do that kind of ironwork, no one could do that here. Tulane University has vast material on all this in the Amistad Research Center and the birth of the music in the Hogan Jazz Archive. Some slaves (including their children) were highly educated in Europe in law and medicine. It is not an accident that Plessy v Ferguson was filed in New Orleans.

Wow, thanks for that information Poppy, really appreciate you sharing it. I usually find that ignorant comments like Only’s comes from bias and ignorance, so best to ignore.
Happy New Year!
Reply #171 posted 04/06/19 6:55am

SuperFurryAnim
al

2elijah said:

Gray, Poppy, I found this vid on Marianne Williamson, 2020 Presidential candidate. I’ve actually never heard of her, before I posted that article yesterday, on the Dem candidates running for the presidency, and their pledges on reparations for descendants of African slaves in this country. Reparations has always been a hot-button issue, in this country, and angers some who don’t feel that descendants of past African and Black American who were enslaved, don’t deserve reparations, but what do you all think about her views on it? I She certainly doesn’t cut corners on the topic, and I find her comments interesting, as she is pretty direct with her views on reparations. My opinion on reparations if it actually goes through is not money, but like you suggested Gray.. no taxes, free education or land. What say you or anyone else on her comments regarding reparations for descendants of African/Black American slaves?

You can get free land in the USA through something called the Homestead Act 2010. You can get free education in USA its called a high school diploma and do good and you get something called a scholarship, something that rewards people in the now for something called hard work (should we do away with that too?). As for zero taxes? how would that help society in the end? Anywho this type of payback and handing out of free, free, free would be the downfall or society as people barely want to work as it is now.

Reply #172 posted 04/06/19 7:01am

SuperFurryAnim
al

OnlyNDaUsa said:

2elijah said:

Interesting comment on reparations from presidential candidate, Julian Castro: Source: https://www.google.com/ur...1114027493 Hardball ✔ @hardball "It is interesting to me that under our Constitution and otherwise, that we compensate people if we take their property. Shouldn't we compensate people if they were property sanctioned by the state?" @juliancastro on reparations. #Hardball- 940 8:37 PM - Feb 25, 2019 [Edited 4/6/19 5:58am]

maybe at the time or soon after but not decades after the fact when they are all dead.

If your great grandfather lent my great grandfather $5... would you owe me and my siblings and all my cousins and aunts and uncles etc who were his living descendants $5 each?

See what some who want this seem to want is money they did not earn and not just their share of what was owed years ago but they want the full amount as a freed slave should have gotten.. what you are saying is your life situation is identical to being a slave. That is pretty disrespectful to the 4million actual slaves!

No everyone should just get everything for FREE. Not that USA has handed out an easy living to many that do absolutely nothing all day (sarcasm). Not that many people don't work and collect a free life. You know because that type of system would work. Free plus no tax would create a more fair and balanced playing field. Plus like Bernie says we would on top of lower taxes take it one step further and have no taxes for many based on race. You know create a system that rewards not working hard. Free internet, water, food, free tv, free music, free movie tickets. Socialism on steroids!

Reply #173 posted 04/06/19 7:05am

2elijah

Even Caribbean islands are seeking reparations from Europe. This article is from 2014, so not sure how that is working out for them.

Caribbean nations agree to seek slavery reparations from Europe
Aileen Torres-Bennett

https://www.google.com/ur...5541873358
Happy New Year!
Reply #174 posted 04/06/19 7:19am

poppys

2elijah said:

Even Caribbean islands are seeking reparations from Europe. This article is from 2014, so not sure how that is working out for them. Caribbean nations agree to seek slavery reparations from Europe Aileen Torres-Bennett https://www.google.com/ur...5541873358

Very interesting. It will be quite complicated, as kingdoms passed many islands around like playing cards. St. Croix USVI had 7 flags alone. The Caribbean has long been forgotten economically. Anything they can do to regain some monetary footing is good.

For the most part, when Europe started outlawing slavery (after they perfected growing the sugar beet on their own soil), plantation owners were paid off and most went back to Europe leaving the former slaves to live or die.

Reply #175 posted 04/06/19 7:34am

poppys

2elijah said:

Gray, Poppy, I found this vid on Marianne Williamson, 2020 Presidential candidate. I’ve actually never heard of her, before I posted that article yesterday, on the Dem candidates running for the presidency, and their pledges on reparations for descendants of African slaves in this country.

Reparations has always been a hot-button issue, in this country, and angers some who don’t feel that descendants of past African and Black American who were enslaved, don’t deserve reparations, but what do you all think about her views on it? I She certainly doesn’t cut corners on the topic, and I find her comments interesting, as she is pretty direct with her views on reparations.

My opinion on reparations if it actually goes through is not money, but like you suggested Gray.. no taxes, free education or land. Even in the Caribbean they’ve been seeking reparations from Europe for sometime now. What say you or anyone else on her comments regarding reparations for descendants of African/Black American slaves?

Oh, I love this. She took it right to the basics, comparing how we change ourselves for the better as individuals - to how we can change our society by attempting to right the wrongs of the past. I like that she has a suggested $$ plan outline too. Instead of just vaguely saying we need to do this.

However it is fairly accomplished is fine with me. We just gave a trillion dollars in tax cuts to the 1%. Trump got a billion dollars for a damn WALL from the Pentagon last week. Corporate welfare in the form of tax cuts is off the charts. We can blow up the entire world thousands of times with what we spend on bombs and weaponry. So don't nobody come on here and say we can't afford it either.

Reply #176 posted 04/06/19 7:37am

jjhunsecker

2elijah said:

jjhunsecker said:

Ignore them, because you will always find folks like that, who are the ‘Hannity’ types, who blow smoke out their asses, and are jealous, racist, ignorant and afraid of the progress of Black Americans in this country. They do not have the the best interests of Black Americans in this country, that’s why they make ignorant comments like that. They get pissed off whenever Blacks discuss America’s history of slavery and its present-day racism. Yet, they (the ‘Hannity’ types) get amnesia about the ‘free stuff’, like the stolen land from the Native Americans, free labor from enslaved Africans/Black Americans, and other free stuff their ancestors received/took advantage of, which made them the first recipients of America’s first welfare system. [Edited 4/6/19 4:35am]

I generally do ignore them, and refuse to engage with such morons, especially ones who crave the attention ....They are not here to debate rationally (which can and SHOULD be done on any issue), but to just spout off and cause controversy and anger and rancor...

That's why there are a few I refuse to engage, because I would get better responses from a brick wall

Reply #177 posted 04/06/19 7:38am

2elijah

poppys said:

2elijah said:

Reparations has always been a hot-button issue, in this country, and angers some who don’t feel that descendants of past African and Black American who were enslaved, don’t deserve reparations, but what do you all think about her views on it? I She certainly doesn’t cut corners on the topic, and I find her comments interesting, as she is pretty direct with her views on reparations.

My opinion on reparations if it actually goes through is not money, but like you suggested Gray.. no taxes, free education or land. Even in the Caribbean they’ve been seeking reparations from Europe for sometime now. What say you or anyone else on her comments regarding reparations for descendants of African/Black American slaves?

Oh, I love this. She took it right to the basics, comparing how we change ourselves for the better as individuals - to how we can change our society by attempting to right the wrongs of the past. I like that she has a suggested $$ plan outline too. Instead of just vaguely saying we need to do this.

However it is fairly accomplished is fine with me. We just gave a trillion dollars in tax cuts to the 1%. Trump got a billion dollars for a damn WALL from the Pentagon last week. Corporate welfare in the form of tax cuts is off the charts. We can blow up the entire world thousands of times with what we spend on bombs and weaponry. So don't nobody come on here and say we can't afford it either.

nod So true.
Happy New Year!
Reply #178 posted 04/06/19 7:40am

2elijah

jjhunsecker said:

2elijah said:

jjhunsecker said:

Ignore them, because you will always find folks like that, who are the ‘Hannity’ types, who blow smoke out their asses, and are jealous, racist, ignorant and afraid of the progress of Black Americans in this country. They do not have the the best interests of Black Americans in this country, that’s why they make ignorant comments like that. They get pissed off whenever Blacks discuss America’s history of slavery and its present-day racism. Yet, they (the ‘Hannity’ types) get amnesia about the ‘free stuff’, like the stolen land from the Native Americans, free labor from enslaved Africans/Black Americans, and other free stuff their ancestors received/took advantage of, which made them the first recipients of America’s first welfare system. [Edited 4/6/19 4:35am]

I generally do ignore them, and refuse to engage with such morons, especially ones who crave the attention ....They are not here to debate rationally (which can and SHOULD be done on any issue), but to just spout off and cause controversy and anger and rancor...

That's why there are a few I refuse to engage, because I would get better responses from a brick wall

Agree, they do it to get a reaction. They usually speak from their insecurities, bias, ignorance and self-imposed fears.
Happy New Year!
Reply #179 posted 04/06/19 7:41am

Graycap23

poppys said:

2elijah said:

Have u seen how much money the U.S. has spent on this fake war?

WASHINGTON—U.S. wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Pakistan have cost American taxpayers $5.6 trillion since they began in 2001, according to a new study, a figure more than three times that of the Pentagon's own estimates.

Page 6 of 14 « First<2345678910>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > It's time for U.S. Blacks to separate from the herd