independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 21st Apr 2019 3:29pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Black workers in Ohio accuse UPS of allowing hate at work
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

2elijah

Black workers in Ohio accuse UPS of allowing hate at work

Early reporting, so this does not appear to be a hoax. Copies of racist text messages between some UPS employees were documented and discovered] U wish them luck with their suit if the evidence provided proves the open racial discrimination that’s indicated in the complaint.

Black workers in Ohio accuse UPS of allowing hate at work

By Mallory Simon and Sara Sidner, CNN
Updated 10:17 PM EDT, Wed March 13, 2019

https://www.google.com/ur...8692017797

By Mallory Simon and Sara Sidner, CNN
Updated 10:17 PM EDT, Wed March 13, 2019

Nineteen UPS workers are suing the parcel distributor, saying they suffered repeated racial discrimination and the company did nothing to stop it.

Managers and supervisors enabled and even encouraged the hate at the distribution center in Maumee, Ohio, according to the lawsuit filed Wednesday afternoon in Lucas County Court in Ohio.

The workers claim nooses were hung above the workstation of an African-American employee, that a monkey doll dressed as a UPS employee was placed near others and the N-word was frequently used.

“The workers, many of whom have been at the company for more than two decades, argue the racist comments caused reactions ranging from "fear, anger and disgust to dismay" about the comments and lack of action from the company.

"UPS promptly investigated and took swift disciplinary action against those found to have engaged in inappropriate actions, including the discharge of two employees," UPS Director of Corporate Media Relations Glenn Zaccara told CNN when asked for comment about the lawsuit.

Zaccara said that since then, the company has participated in "remedial actions" in cooperation with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission to ensure employees are trained and has also monitored its operations to ensure a positive and harassment-free environment.

"The company has strict policies against harassment and discrimination," Zaccara said. "When an incident is reported, UPS takes the matter seriously, thoroughly investigates and takes appropriate disciplinary action against those found responsible for misconduct."

The lawsuit details a variety of incidents in the UPS distribution center during the workers' years there.

One worker says a group text message from white coworkers about possible lottery winnings in July 2016 contained "racially driven" and "offensive" messages, according to the lawsuit, including: "If you feel down and out, the noose is loose;" "Can we buy another noose with the winnings," and "Like Clint Eastwood said, 'Hang 'em High.'"

Screengrabs show an alleged group text using slurs. CNN obscured portions of the text to remove identifying information and profanity.Screengrabs show an alleged group text using slurs. CNN

(Click on link to see text msgs)

Lawyers say in the lawsuit the incident was reported to management, but no disciplinary measures were taken. The white coworkers maintained it was a joke, according to the lawsuit.

[b]In September 2016, "a white employee of UPS stated: 'I'm late for a Klan meeting,'" according to the suit. Again, no action was taken, lawyers claim. The comment was made in front of one black coworker and one white coworker, [b]

[img]https://cdn-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/190313165357-03-ups-lawsuit-illustration-exlarge-169.jpg[/img]

Lawyers also say a white driver for UPS refused to deliver a package in September 2016 because "she did not want to deliver to 'Niggerville' or go to 'Nigger City,'" according to the lawsuit.

The workers also accuse the company of denying black workers opportunities within the company on the basis of their race.”

(Click on link to continue reading)
FEARLESS
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/14/19 11:05am

OnlyNDaUsa

that is not okay and the management and others have to be held accountable for not taking immediate action...

I had everything I needed
But now my life is so blue
You meant the world to me
But now you're gone and I'm so blue
Reply #2 posted 03/14/19 2:20pm

poppys

19 people? shake UPS is a national company too. Sickening. I don't use them in my business but if I did I would stop.

life, it ain't real funky unless it's got that pop.
Reply #3 posted 03/17/19 3:01pm

2elijah

poppys said:

19 people? shake UPS is a national company too. Sickening. I don't use them in my business but if I did I would stop.

It was going on for years, and I’m glad the workers are exposing what’s going on there.
FEARLESS
Reply #4 posted 03/19/19 3:33am

DiminutiveRock
er

2elijah said:

poppys said:

It was going on for years, and I’m glad the workers are exposing what’s going on there.

eek ugh. That is sickening.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
Reply #5 posted 03/20/19 3:10pm

PeteSilas

nutty, the perpetrators would probably say they were joking if they were caught. I remember my stepdad telling me how his brakelines were cut a couple times when he had a good job at boeing when he was young, this was mid/late sixties.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Black workers in Ohio accuse UPS of allowing hate at work