independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Mar 2019 9:20pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Man Made Religions - Discuss
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

luv4u

Man Made Religions - Discuss

What is your opinion/belief about man made religions?

49599675_1976664695721334_853285284454858752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=667db9b4897dbb085545a9a0acc8a4af&oe=5C9933B9

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/02/19 7:15pm

onlyforaminute

Huh?

Asking in a dominated by atheists. I wonder what most the answers will be?

Me? I have Pentecostal roots. I have mad love and respect for Charles H. Mason Sr. and his man-made religion.
Year of Return 2019
Reply #2 posted 01/02/19 8:26pm

jjhunsecker

ALL religions are man made

Reply #3 posted 01/03/19 5:52am

13cjk13

jjhunsecker said:

And pretty much the cause of every single problem in the entire world.

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost".
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply #4 posted 01/03/19 6:49am

Empress

jjhunsecker said:

Agreed! I do not care for any organized religion. I respect anyone's wish to have faith, but the rest of it I can do without.

Reply #5 posted 01/03/19 7:35am

EmmaMcG

In all honesty, what other kinds of religions are there? All religions started somewhere and they are all man made. There is no such thing as "natural religions".
Reply #6 posted 01/03/19 8:29am

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

Yep. The premise is flawed. Man-made religions as opposed to what?

Reply #7 posted 01/03/19 9:57am

2elijah

Religion is a tool that has been and is used to brainwash, manipulate, disrespect, enslave, destroy and control.
FEARLESS
Reply #8 posted 01/03/19 10:02am

OldFriends4Sal
e

I wouldn't call them religions, but 'denominations' or man made doctrines

luv4u said:

49599675_1976664695721334_853285284454858752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=667db9b4897dbb085545a9a0acc8a4af&oe=5C9933B9

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #9 posted 01/03/19 10:17am

13cjk13

2elijah said:

Religion is a tool that has been and is used to brainwash, manipulate, disrespect, enslave, destroy and control.

Exactly.

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost".
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply #10 posted 01/03/19 10:26am

poppys

Even if you use the word denominations instead of religions, it still doesn't makes sense. Man-made denominations of ?-made religions. What is the basic premise of who else made either one?

Reply #11 posted 01/03/19 10:38am

2elijah

poppys said:

Even if you use the word denominations instead of religions, it still doesn't makes sense. Man-made denominations of ?-made religions. What is the basic premise of who else made either one?

True, they pretty much all fall under the category of religion. In any event, one can say that those ‘denominations’ mentioned in the OP’s thread, are capable of havin brainwashing/manipulative/controlling techniques.
[Edited 1/3/19 12:13pm]
FEARLESS
Reply #12 posted 01/03/19 12:02pm

bobzilla77

While all religion is manmade, I think the OP is asking about these denominations that are specifically tied to a single person's vision or interpretation of biblical text, as opposed to say "Catholicism" which was not created by any single person.

I think the more specific you get in the realm of religion, the shakier ground you are on.

Parables are useful to teach ideas. The story of the Good Samaritan can be easily understood as a directive to be compassionate to your neighbor and tamp down your natural self righteousness. That's not hard for anybody to grasp. Intuitively it feels like a good idea.

Once you get into very specific directions and instructions, especially the ones that run counter to natural instinct, I tend to think those "prophets" just came up with an appealing idea and the people that believe it, do so because it confirms to a vision of the universe they already hold. For some reason, self abasement or continual self punishment is a really popular variation! It's for what Tom Robbins called "the people who would sooner fast than feast."

Reply #13 posted 01/03/19 12:11pm

onlyforaminute

Like Jesus?
Year of Return 2019
Reply #14 posted 01/03/19 12:19pm

poppys

2elijah said:

poppys said:

True, they pretty much all fall under the category of religion. In any event, one can say that those ‘denominations’ mentioned in the OP’s thread, are capable of having brainwashing/manipulative/controlling techniques.

Very much agree.

Reply #15 posted 01/03/19 12:36pm

poppys

bobzilla77 said:

While all religion is manmade, I think the OP is asking about these denominations that are specifically tied to a single person's vision or interpretation of biblical text, as opposed to say "Catholicism" which was not created by any single person.

I think the more specific you get in the realm of religion, the shakier ground you are on.

Parables are useful to teach ideas. The story of the Good Samaritan can be easily understood as a directive to be compassionate to your neighbor and tamp down your natural self righteousness. That's not hard for anybody to grasp. Intuitively it feels like a good idea.

Once you get into very specific directions and instructions, especially the ones that run counter to natural instinct, I tend to think those "prophets" just came up with an appealing idea and the people that believe it, do so because it confirms to a vision of the universe they already hold. For some reason, self abasement or continual self punishment is a really popular variation! It's for what Tom Robbins called "the people who would sooner fast than feast."

What/who was Catholicism created by? Just asking, I have no idea - but guessing there are a lot of different opinions on that.

Reply #16 posted 01/03/19 4:11pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

poppys said:

It does make sense. The use of th word denomination isn't a synonym for religion.

I don't understand fully the intention of the thread. But it seems the meme might come from a person who believes in 1 'faith' and these others mention are 'false'.

The debate about whether 'religion' is man made is debateble and a bigger topic.

But the meme (LUV4U)? where did this come from? clearly seems to point to the 'Faith' that Jesus taught vs the denominational beliefs that clearly created those 5 being pointed out.

The use of 'Religion' in those instances is wrong. Denomination would be the correct word.

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #17 posted 01/03/19 4:25pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

That is a 'lite' description that has been making it's rounds. But the Natives of the South American jungles have religion. They have no shame in their nudity. They don't have modern man issues with sexuality. They have a belief that is very 'simply' and very reflective of the natural environment they live in. Very simple ideals to live by. They don't enslave and destroy. And they are still very much like they were 5000+yrs ago. Others created further beliefs that lead to further 'doctrine'. The same can be said for many other ethnic groups in varous continents and countries.

Also we can also defer, that 'politics' is the real tool that when brought into 'religion', family, social scenes etc is the thing that brainwashes, manipulates, disrespects, enslaves etc

And from a lot of observation of the human race, it is people that actually fuel the politics that might be used in religions to brainwash, manipulate, enslave etc We do these things, and you can see it throught societies. Look at the people who are creating ideologies surrounding the 'illuminati' or Conspiracy Theories. Look at 'atheist' societies -they brainwash, manipulate, disrespect(a human trait), enslave, destroy and control.

The Lord of the Flies (movie/book) is a good example of how the human race flows in these ways.

Look at Prince's own religiosity, and how many fans have actually taken to his stuff too.

Put a group of children in a room together and watch 1 begin to dominate the group, and others actually push that one to 'lead'. The rules of the playground. Fraternities and Sororities. The Bad Girls Club. this is the human race.

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #18 posted 01/03/19 4:31pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

bobzilla77 said:

I agree.

But Catholisism was created by the Roman Emperor Constantine(and possible a few others with him). And it was a shrewed political move to solidify his legacy. The 'Holy Roman' Church is a different face of the Roman Empire and the religious beliefs of the Italian/Greek people. ie Mercury the god of travelers become St Joseph the patron saint of traveling. Constantine to satisfy the people(the people again) took the Roman gods and deities and gave them the names of Angels and 'Saints' from the torah and scriptures.

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #19 posted 01/03/19 5:01pm

poppys

There isn't enough info in the OP to really discuss. Is there a link?

Reply #20 posted 01/03/19 5:08pm

onlyforaminute

Yeah, I have no clue what is supposed to be discussed. All of them shake fingers at each other, but they all pay close attention to and learn from each other too, I've discovered.

Year of Return 2019
Reply #21 posted 01/03/19 5:24pm

luv4u

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
Reply #22 posted 01/03/19 5:35pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

instead of editing my post # I'll post the addition here.

Even when you look at our USA racial socio-political groups, they take on a religious dogma as well. Very much the same as the 'anti-religious' accusations made by people who are 'spiritual not religious'

If you don't conform to supporting certain groups, or ideals, if you challenge your racial group, upbraid them, choose not to identify that way etc the response can be very bullying, until you fall back in line or be quiet. like a 'come back to Jesus/backslider' moment

Denominational differences fall under a religious belief. But a Denomination is not a religion.

All those posted in the OP would fall under a 'christian' catagory

same with Islam, Judaism, and various other religious beliefs throught our world and history.

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #23 posted 01/03/19 5:35pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #24 posted 01/03/19 5:39pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

* if a person does not believe in God(s) then it wouldn't be a hard jump to expect them to say 'all religions are man made'

Unless some believes religion is something different from being 'spiritual' or are targeting certain 'religions' in a more narrower scope of thought.

What the first humans knew in our beginning...

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #25 posted 01/03/19 5:46pm

IanRG

OldFriends4Sale said:

bobzilla77 said:

I agree.

But Catholisism was created by the Roman Emperor Constantine(and possible a few others with him). And it was a shrewed political move to solidify his legacy. The 'Holy Roman' Church is a different face of the Roman Empire and the religious beliefs of the Italian/Greek people. ie Mercury the god of travelers become St Joseph the patron saint of traveling. Constantine to satisfy the people(the people again) took the Roman gods and deities and gave them the names of Angels and 'Saints' from the torah and scriptures.

Not true. St Christopher is the Saint of traveling and travelers. St Jospeph is St Mary's husband. St Christopher was recognised as a Saint by all the Christian Church right up to the rise of Protestantism. St Christopher is still venerated by the Eastern Othodox Church but is not venerated anymore by the Catholic Church.

The myth that Constantine created a new religion separate from the Christian Church is an excuse used to justify the man-made new denominations that sprang up commencing with the Western Catholics and Eastern Orthodox split. To believe that the Catholic Church replaced the Christian Church is to beleive that Jesus was wrong and His Church fell to a poliitcally shrewed move.

All of this is off topic and just the most likely response to a thread like this. We have had all the expected responses about all religions being man made (argualby true), all evil comes from religions, religions are just to control people, I am against organised religion and then lets attack the Catholics instead.

In regards to the thread - witihn the 5 people in the OP there is a range of man-madeness. This is from people genuinely seeking to find a better understanding of God and how we should do this (I was an adult baptism, so have no problem with this) to fabricated stories about secret plates containing new religious texts. There is a huge difference between the two.

Reply #26 posted 01/03/19 5:53pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

IanRG said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I agree.

Not true. St Christopher is the Saint of traveling and travelers. St Jospeph is St Mary's husband. St Christopher was recognised as a Saint by all the Christian Church right up to the rise of Protestantism. St Christopher is still venerated by the Eastern Othodox Church but is not venerated anymore by the Catholic Church.

The myth that Constantine created a new religion separate from the Christian Church is an excuse used to justify the man-made new denominations that sprang up commencing with the Western Catholics and Eastern Orthodox split. To believe that the Catholic Church replaced the Christian Church is to beleive that Jesus was wrong and His Church fell to a poliitcally shrewed move.

All of this is off topic and just the most likely response to a thread like this. We have had all the expected responses about all religions being man made (argualby true), all evil comes from religions, religions are just to control people, I am against organised religion and then lets attack the Catholics instead.

In regards to the thread - witihn the 5 people in the OP there is a range of man-madeness. This is from people genuinely seeking to find a better understanding of God and how we should do this (I was an adult baptism, so have no problem with this) to fabricated stories about secret plates containing new religious texts. There is a huge difference between the two.

My Sicilian friends Barbara has a 'shrine' to St Joseph. I got the info from her. But catholic.org has him as the patron of travelers too

https://www.catholic.org/...saint_id=4

Feastday: March 19th & May 1st
Patron of the Universal Church, unborn children, fathers, workers, travelers, immigrants, and a happy death

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #27 posted 01/03/19 6:02pm

onlyforaminute

Yeah, I leave the who's right, who's wrong stuff alone. I just know I yam what I yam, take it or leave it.

Year of Return 2019
Reply #28 posted 01/03/19 6:36pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

it seems it's about denominations. So the only way to judge it all is to compare each to the bible/gospels/letters

luv4u said:

In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
Reply #29 posted 01/03/19 6:42pm

onlyforaminute

OldFriends4Sale said:

it seems it's about denominations. So the only way to judge it all is to compare each to the bible/gospels/letters

luv4u said:

You be at it for years, because you'd definitely have to go much further back than these guys. That's why I'm wonder why these particular de-noms, these don't even begin to catch everything under the Protestant umbrella. I guess they do make up the largest majority of the US protestant faiths today.

Year of Return 2019
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Man Made Religions - Discuss