independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 15th Dec 2019 3:14am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > I'm sorry but Serena Williams is not a victim.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 09/15/18 11:18am

EmmaMcG

It's funny how a thread about Serena Williams acting like a spoiled child and crying "sexism" can turn into a debate about whether or not a drawing was racist.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 09/15/18 1:04pm

CherryMoon57

caricature

ˈkarɪkətjʊə,ˈkarɪkətʃɔː/
noun
  1. 1.
    a picture, description, or imitation of a person in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.
    "a crude caricature of the Prime Minister"
    synonyms: cartoon, distorted/exaggerated drawing, distortion;
    parody, satire, lampoon, burlesque, mimicry, travesty, farce, skit, squib;
    informalsend-up, take-off, spoof;
    rarepasquinade
verb
  1. 1.
    make or give a caricature of.
    "he was famous enough to be caricatured by Private Eye"
    synonyms: parody, satirize, lampoon, mimic, ridicule, mock, make fun of, burlesque;
    distort, exaggerate;
    informalsend up, take off
    "she has turned her acute eye and pen to caricaturing her fellow actors"

(Google)

Open your heart open your mind
A train is leaving all day
Reply #92 posted 09/15/18 1:18pm

DiminutiveRock
er

EmmaMcG said:

It's funny how a thread about Serena Williams acting like a spoiled child and crying "sexism" can turn into a debate about whether or not a drawing was racist.

It's par for the course on P&R shrug lol

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
Reply #93 posted 09/15/18 1:27pm

ThatWhiteDude

Yes, CHARACTERISTICS and NOT RACIAL STEREOTYPES. But the comic about Serena does the latter.

CherryMoon57 said:

caricature

ˈkarɪkətjʊə,ˈkarɪkətʃɔː/
noun
  1. 1.
    a picture, description, or imitation of a person in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.
    rarepasquinade
verb
  1. 1.
    synonyms: parody, satirize, lampoon, mimic, ridicule, mock, make fun of, burlesque;
    distort, exaggerate;

(Google)

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."

"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
Reply #94 posted 09/15/18 2:00pm

CherryMoon57

ThatWhiteDude said:

Yes, CHARACTERISTICS and NOT RACIAL STEREOTYPES. But the comic about Serena does the latter.

CherryMoon57 said:

caricature

ˈkarɪkətjʊə,ˈkarɪkətʃɔː/
noun
  1. 1.
    rarepasquinade
verb
  1. 1.
    distort, exaggerate;

(Google)

I guess it all depends on how you view certain physical traits yourself, ie whether you immediately associate certain physical characteristics with racial stereotypes. My sister for exemple has big lips. She's also a pale skin blonde with freckles. If I was intending to draw a caricature of her, I would most certainly draw attention to her big lips first. Would that make me a racist?

I do not see anything other than Serena's existing features enhanced on that drawing. There are no other connotation whatsoever. Whoever is reading more into it is projecting their own thoughts.

Reply #95 posted 09/15/18 2:18pm

toejam

2elijah said:

If anyone can’t see that the image is an exaggerated, racist, stereotyped caricature of Serena, either lacks the knowledge of the long history of many, similar ones like that or is just in total denial.

I don't lack sufficient knowledge of the long history of racist propaganda, and I'm not in "denial". I think the accusation that this cartoon is racist is unwarranted. Serena is fairly depicted as a spoiled child throwing a tantrum. This is achieved by drawing her a spat-out pacifier, a whinging face with a down-turned bottom lip, and having her stomping on her racket. Her tutu-like costume-party outfit also help with the child-like imagery.

If anyone is being unfairly caricatured in the cartoon, it is the chair umpire. He is depicted as weak, not being able to handle the situation. This is shown in his excessive skinniness, his crouched posture, and his request to Naomi just to let Serena win. He is portrayed as a defeated adult overseeing a children's party game requesting the other children just to let the whinger win to avoid a tantrum. This is unfair because in reality I thought the chair umpire did a great job of handling the situation, not relenting to Serena's dumb request for an apology nor over-reacting to her constant accusation that he was a "thief". But I get that the unfairness of his depiction here isn't really a big deal, because it's also part of the wider imagery helping to portray Serena as the sore-loser child that she was on the day.

[Edited 9/15/18 14:25pm]

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
Reply #96 posted 09/15/18 3:03pm

IanRG

EmmaMcG said:

To be fair, the original OP always included that the drawing was racist

It was always part of the topic. There really is no defense for how Serena acted in her breaking the rules other than others get away with it or are less penalised - a common defense of the spoiled child. So it is not surprising that part of the thread has faded from focus.

The only remaining point of contention is the determination by individuals of the point a caricature ceases to be funny and becomes offensive. Different individuals will always determine this point at different places. It is no surprise to me which side of that point individuals here have placed themselves. Nothing will shift us to the other side, regardless of which side we are on.

Reply #97 posted 09/15/18 4:54pm

toejam

2freaky4church1 said:

2Elijah, but she is still a spoiled brat, right?

I would also be interested in hearing 2elijah's thoughts on Serena's conduct through the incident in question...

[Edited 9/15/18 17:13pm]
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Reply #98 posted 09/15/18 9:03pm

IanRG

SuperFurryAnimal said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

CherryMoon57 said: sho u rite! 👇 some might say Serena's out burst vs McEnroe's is an example of white male privilege. 👀

The record of John McEnroe's altercations with tennis authorities since he broke into the international circuit in 1977.

June 1977 - Screamed obscenities at French Open line judge while winning mixed doubles final with Mary Carillo, but was not fined.July 1980 - Earned first major warning at Wimbledon for behavior during semifinal against Jimmy Connors.

July 1981 - Fined a total of $6,000 at Wimbledon when he called chair umpire "pits of the world" and told him, "You cannot be serious!" Referee Fred Hoyles said he had come within two tantrums of disqualification during early match against Tom Gulliksen. Defeated Bjorn Borg in a four-set final, but boycotted champions dinner, resulting in another fine. Recommended additional fine of $10,000 overturned on appeal.

May 1983 - Fined $1,000 for calling Czech opponent Tomas Smid a "communist bastard" at Forest Hills event.

June 1983 - Fined $3,500 for clashing with photographer at courtside during French Open.

July 1983 - Fined $325 for swearing at spectator during Wimbledon. Fines during the year totalled $7,500.

May 1984 - Fined $7,500 for misconduct during Stockholm Open.

June 1984 - Accrued fines totalling $3,500 for swearing at linesman and other verbal abuse during match against Connors at French Open.

January 1985 - Dropped from U.S. Davis Cup team after "outrageous behavior" during 1984 final defeat by Sweden.

June 1985 - Loses honorary membership of London's Queen's Club for abusing chairman's wife while practicing. McEnroe later was reinstated.

December 1985 - Fined $3,500 for three separate offenses at Australian Open, culminating with verbal abuse of opponent Slobodan Zivojinovic.

January 1986 - Beaten by Brad Gilbert at Masters finals in New York and fined $1,000 for arguing with spectators.

September 1986 - Received fines totalling $3,500 at U.S. Open after he and partner Peter Fleming were disqualified for arriving late for men's doubles match. Fine broke down to $750 for being late and $2,750 for saying what he thought about the disqualification.

April 1987 - Fined $2,000 for time-wasting during match at WCT event in Dallas.

May 1987 - Fined $4,000 for walking off court during World Cup in Dusseldorf.

September 1987 - Suspended two months and fined $10,000 for various offenses at U.S. Open.

July 1988 - Warned for racket abuse during defeat against Australian Wally Masur at Wimbledon.

July 1989 - Australian John Fitzgerald, a fourth-round loser to McEnroe, accuses him of using tantrums to put off opponents.

January 1990 - Thrown out of Australian Open and fined $6,500 after receiving third warning for misbehavior against Mikael Pernfors.

April 1991 - McEnroe admits own behavior on court "sickens me" after receiving a code violation and point penalty during defeat by fellow American Todd Witsken in Hong Kong.

July 1991 - Fined $10,000 for swearing at linesman in Wimbledon loss against Stefan Edberg, picked up by television microphone.

Total fines - $69,500.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html

So in the last match where McEnroe was fined, he received £16,800 in prize money and was fined £6,200 - so lost nearly 37%.

Jump to the last match where Williams was fined and she received $1,850,000 in prize money and was fined $17,000 - so lost less than 1%.

Reply #99 posted 09/16/18 1:09am

TweetyV6

Hey ThatWhiteDude (who actually isn't, I guess)

FFS, let's say it's racist.
Now what? What do you expect? How can the world take away your FEELING of discomfort?

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #100 posted 09/16/18 1:23am

TweetyV6

free2bFreeda2 said:

TweetyV6 said:

If that is what you're convinced it is, then I cannot say other than that you're a nutcase.

and my misguided overseer it may well be that you are the kernel who continues to plant and be the fertilizer that waters the egregious roots and family trees of your jim crow mindset. [Edited 9/15/18 10:48am]

Bla-di-bla-di-bla... I don't even know who Jim Crow is. And I'm not gonna look it up either.

It's a fucking cartoon. Get over it.

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #101 posted 09/16/18 1:26am

TweetyV6

ThatWhiteDude said:

RACIAL CHARACTERISTICS

Reply #102 posted 09/16/18 2:32am

free2bFreeda2

TweetyV6 said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

TweetyV6 said:

If that is what you're convinced it is, then I cannot say other than that you're a nutcase.

and my misguided overseer it may well be that you are the kernel who continues to plant and be the fertilizer that waters the egregious roots and family trees of your jim crow mindset. [Edited 9/15/18 10:48am]

Bla-di-bla-di-bla... I don't even know who Jim Crow is. And I'm not gonna look it up either.

why don't you try to get over yourself and your need to be right about something you clearly no nothing about. then admit that your lack of knowledge makes you look like a typical pinbrain.
if one is ignorant and unaware of historical injustices, then openly displays their stupidity by attempting to discuss the core of the topic at hand, seems their like a dog chasing their own tail.
🤓
so my little misguided kernel tweety, take some advice,
try to move forward from a 1910 mindset and wake tfu.
try to
1. jettison your micro comprehension forward.
2. zoom your mindset into the now

please take a few moments to read and
try to comprehend/understand the following article:
Why the Serena Williams US Open cartoon actually is racist
: https://www.google.com/am...ature/amp/
👓
and remember, for future reference:
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
author~ Dr Martin Luther King, Jr

[Edited 9/16/18 3:24am]
Reply #103 posted 09/16/18 5:24am

ThatWhiteDude

TweetyV6 said:

Now what? What do you expect? How can the world take away your FEELING of discomfort?

Haha what makes you believe that I'm not White? lol

Reply #104 posted 09/16/18 6:51am

SuperFurryAnim
al

IanRG said:

SuperFurryAnimal said:

The record of John McEnroe's altercations with tennis authorities since he broke into the international circuit in 1977.

June 1977 - Screamed obscenities at French Open line judge while winning mixed doubles final with Mary Carillo, but was not fined.July 1980 - Earned first major warning at Wimbledon for behavior during semifinal against Jimmy Connors.

July 1981 - Fined a total of $6,000 at Wimbledon when he called chair umpire "pits of the world" and told him, "You cannot be serious!" Referee Fred Hoyles said he had come within two tantrums of disqualification during early match against Tom Gulliksen. Defeated Bjorn Borg in a four-set final, but boycotted champions dinner, resulting in another fine. Recommended additional fine of $10,000 overturned on appeal.

May 1983 - Fined $1,000 for calling Czech opponent Tomas Smid a "communist bastard" at Forest Hills event.

June 1983 - Fined $3,500 for clashing with photographer at courtside during French Open.

July 1983 - Fined $325 for swearing at spectator during Wimbledon. Fines during the year totalled $7,500.

May 1984 - Fined $7,500 for misconduct during Stockholm Open.

June 1984 - Accrued fines totalling $3,500 for swearing at linesman and other verbal abuse during match against Connors at French Open.

January 1985 - Dropped from U.S. Davis Cup team after "outrageous behavior" during 1984 final defeat by Sweden.

June 1985 - Loses honorary membership of London's Queen's Club for abusing chairman's wife while practicing. McEnroe later was reinstated.

December 1985 - Fined $3,500 for three separate offenses at Australian Open, culminating with verbal abuse of opponent Slobodan Zivojinovic.

January 1986 - Beaten by Brad Gilbert at Masters finals in New York and fined $1,000 for arguing with spectators.

September 1986 - Received fines totalling $3,500 at U.S. Open after he and partner Peter Fleming were disqualified for arriving late for men's doubles match. Fine broke down to $750 for being late and $2,750 for saying what he thought about the disqualification.

April 1987 - Fined $2,000 for time-wasting during match at WCT event in Dallas.

May 1987 - Fined $4,000 for walking off court during World Cup in Dusseldorf.

September 1987 - Suspended two months and fined $10,000 for various offenses at U.S. Open.

July 1988 - Warned for racket abuse during defeat against Australian Wally Masur at Wimbledon.

July 1989 - Australian John Fitzgerald, a fourth-round loser to McEnroe, accuses him of using tantrums to put off opponents.

January 1990 - Thrown out of Australian Open and fined $6,500 after receiving third warning for misbehavior against Mikael Pernfors.

April 1991 - McEnroe admits own behavior on court "sickens me" after receiving a code violation and point penalty during defeat by fellow American Todd Witsken in Hong Kong.

July 1991 - Fined $10,000 for swearing at linesman in Wimbledon loss against Stefan Edberg, picked up by television microphone.

Total fines - $69,500.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html

So in the last match where McEnroe was fined, he received £16,800 in prize money and was fined £6,200 - so lost nearly 37%.

Jump to the last match where Williams was fined and she received $1,850,000 in prize money and was fined $17,000 - so lost less than 1%.

This is true, why would athletes care about fines at this point? McEnroe net worth 60 million. Serena 27 million. He was smarter with endorsements. More interesting person. Serena is great but boring AF.

What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
Reply #105 posted 09/16/18 10:40am

2freaky4church

McAnroe was a long time ago, I'm sure they changed the rules. Probably because of his outbursts.

Football changed many of their rules.

Toejam, why winning at all costs is mostly a bad ethic.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #106 posted 09/16/18 2:00pm

NorthC

ThatWhiteDude said:

TweetyV6 said:

Maybe because your profile says that your name is Ahmiir Eder? I admit that says nothing about your skin colour, but it doesn't sound very German.
[Edited 9/16/18 14:00pm]
Reply #107 posted 09/16/18 2:22pm

ThatWhiteDude

NorthC said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

Maybe because your profile says that your name is Ahmiir Eder? I admit that says nothing about your skin colour, but it doesn't sound very German.
[Edited 9/16/18 14:00pm]

Well it is my Name and I am German

Reply #108 posted 09/16/18 3:08pm

CherryMoon57

Knight also drew this a few weeks ago...

Image result for mark knight aretha franklin cartoon

Reply #109 posted 09/16/18 8:17pm

free2bFreeda2

CherryMoon57 said:

Knight also drew this> a few weeks ago...

Image result for mark knight aretha franklin cartoon

🤓
what?
Reply #110 posted 09/16/18 9:04pm

MoBettaBliss

she carried on like an idiot... the coach admitted he was coaching... he was trying to get her to move into the net, and it worked... her getting all high and mighty "i'd never cheat!!!!" etc was just bullshit... even the "i have a daughter!!!!" line (apparently, she's the only woman who's ever given birth)

she acted like a complete twat.... over and over again... and the line to top it all off?... to the crown at the presentation .. "we'll get through this"... ffs give me a break... get through what?.... her acting like a brat?

i remember when she threathened to shove a tennis ball down a lineswoman's throat... pure class

Reply #111 posted 09/16/18 10:12pm

TweetyV6

ThatWhiteDude said:

TweetyV6 said:

As I said, it's a guess. But you're dodging the question again.

3rd try:

Reply #112 posted 09/16/18 10:15pm

TweetyV6

free2bFreeda2 said:

TweetyV6 said:

why don't you try to get over yourself and your need to be right about something you clearly no nothing about. then admit that your lack of knowledge makes you look like a typical pinbrain. if one is ignorant and unaware of historical injustices, then openly displays their stupidity by attempting to discuss the core of the topic at hand, seems their like a dog chasing their own tail. 🤓 so my little misguided kernel tweety, take some advice, try to move forward from a 1910 mindset and wake tfu. try to 1. jettison your micro comprehension forward. 2. zoom your mindset into the now. please take a few moments to read and try to comprehend/understand the following article: Why the Serena Williams US Open cartoon actually is racist : https://www.google.com/am...ature/amp/ 👓 and remember, for future reference: "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." author~ Dr Martin Luther King, Jr [Edited 9/16/18 3:24am]

Aaaaaand some more lame bla-bla. Don't bother, I won't read it.

I moved on a second or 2 after I saw the cartoon.

Reply #113 posted 09/17/18 12:41am

free2bFreeda2

MoBettaBliss said:

she carried on like an idiot... the coach admitted he was coaching... he was trying to get her to move into the net, and it worked... her getting all high and mighty "i'd never cheat!!!!" etc was just bullshit... even the "i have a daughter!!!!" line (apparently, she's the only woman who's ever given birth)

she acted like a complete twat.... over and over again... and the line to top it all off?... to the crown at the presentation .. "we'll get through this"... ffs give me a break... get through what?.... her acting like a brat?

i remember when she threathened to shove a tennis ball down a lineswoman's throat... pure class

seems coach did a Justin Timberlake / Janet Jackson fopaux on Serena.
Janet took all the blame for the costume malfunction as we all saw live and on video
Justin came out clean on the other side.
Janet's career was stonewalled for more than five years
as she was deemed the one more guilty between her and justin due to janet's upper frontal exposure, even though Justin's hand caused the wardrobe malfunction.

=
excerpt-----》

: https://www.google.com/am...1304292002
coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, later acknowledged he was trying to use hand signals to coach Williams,

excerpt

: https://www.google.com/am...d.amp.html
What’s the rule?
In short, players aren’t allowed to be coached during a Grand Slam match. According to the 2018 Grand Slam rule book: “Players shall not receive coaching during a match (including the warm-up).”

What happened on Saturday?
The chair umpire, Carlos Ramos, known for being a stickler, spotted Williams’s coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, gesturing in the stands. Taking this to be coaching, he assessed a “code violation,” essentially a warning.

so question was coach Patrick Mouratoglou fined for being a part of the coaching violation , or was he in a fine free zone even after 'fessing up to sending coaching signals to Serena (even though you can view that Serena was focusing on playing the game and not on tf Mouratoglou.
?

can any one see on video of the actual match?
if so, tell me when Serena was actually focusing on Mouratoglou's coaching gestures.
if Mouratoglou is also in coaching violation why is Serena taking the total blame for the (alleged) violation only on her part?
rolleyes
[Edited 9/17/18 2:51am]
Reply #114 posted 09/17/18 1:33am

CherryMoon57

I think Serena is simply trying to cover up her mistakes and save her reputation by playing the racism card.

It's a good thing that the situation wasn't the other way round (ie. a non-white female umpire being insulted in a similar fashion by a muscular white male tennis player).

Now that would have most certainly raised some heated debates without even the need of a cartoon.

Reply #115 posted 09/17/18 2:33am

free2bFreeda2

CherryMoon57 said:

I think Serena is simply trying to cover up her mistakes and save her reputation by playing the racism card.

It's a good thing that the situation wasn't the other way round (ie. a non-white female umpire being insulted in a similar fashion by a muscular white male tennis player).

Now that would have most certainly raised some heated debates without even the need of a cartoon.

please post a quote where Serena is using the race card. 👀
p.s.
eye like ur siggy. smile
[Edited 9/17/18 2:36am]
Reply #116 posted 09/17/18 2:50am

toejam

^True. Serena didn't play the race card, she played the female victim card.
Reply #117 posted 09/17/18 3:03am

CherryMoon57

^ I was under the impression that her and her husband weren't too happy about the cartoon and called it out for being racist thus detracting everyone from the original reasons for which the cartoon had been drawn in the first place.

[Edited 9/17/18 3:06am]

Reply #118 posted 09/17/18 3:16am

CherryMoon57

free2bFreeda2 said:

can any one see on video of the actual match? if so, tell me when Serena was actually focusing on Mouratoglou's coaching gestures. if Mouratoglou is also in coaching violation why is Serena taking the total blame for the (alleged) violation only on her part? rolleyes [Edited 9/17/18 2:51am]

It looks as if he is indeed making eye contact with Serena whilst giving her the advice, it's around the 1:56 mark into this video:

Reply #119 posted 09/17/18 3:30am

free2bFreeda2

CherryMoon57 said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

can any one see on video of the actual match? if so, tell me when Serena was actually focusing on Mouratoglou's coaching gestures. if Mouratoglou is also in coaching violation why is Serena taking the total blame for the (alleged) violation only on her part? rolleyes [Edited 9/17/18 2:51am]

It looks as if he is indeed making eye contact with Serena whilst giving her the advice, it's around the 1:56 mark into this video:

So shouldn't he be fined also? what is the consequences for a coach while in open violation of the no coaching rules during a professional tennis match?
also, is there any frozen footage of Serena making eye-contact with Mouratoglou?
and why is there no up close video footage or mention of said? especially since Mouratoglou was at the other end of the court.
-----》
take a l👀k:

🤓
it's getting to be appalling ---- Serena has been publicly humiliated imo.
*note: your 1:56 perception that Serena are looking at Mouratoglou is at best an imaginary puff of instant "no way."
[Edited 9/17/18 4:22am]
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > I'm sorry but Serena Williams is not a victim.