independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 12th Dec 2019 7:57am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > I'm sorry but Serena Williams is not a victim.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 09/14/18 7:47pm

free2bFreeda2

toejam said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

imo it's not so much about the loss as it is about the demeaning and ugly caricature and the selective denigrating words many have expressed right here in this thread. but then if you've never been demeaned in a racist cartoon, then no way would you understand the painful insult.

Whether or not you specifically have been demeaned in a cartoon in your past does not mean this cartoon is about you. If you feel pained and insulted here, ask yourself why. Why do you feel personally insulted when the cartoon seeks to portray Serena as a spoiled cry-baby? - which I think is fair game given her immaturity in that moment.

[Edited 9/14/18 17:53pm]

unfortunately you have missed the privilege of having years of cartoon characters depicted with gigantic lips and unattractive features as in:
unfortunately you have missed the privilege of being perceived as being a simian like non human with a low i.q.
unfortunately you have never had to explain to you children why disney, warner brothers and etc have created stereo types of black people.
if you know about the history of Australia then you know that the racist whites killed many of the aboriginal people and loathed them because of their black and brown skin.
the creator of the caricature of Serena is oblivious to the fact that he is acting out on a racist level. (enter the golliwogs)
maybe the following images might help you understand why so many black women and many people feel insulted by the image of an ugly caricature of Serena.

🤓
but then again you seem to relish in your pre-historical insensitivity towards black women regarding a positive self image and the images we have to explain to our children.
[Edited 9/14/18 20:12pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 09/14/18 7:56pm

SuperFurryAnim
al

Empress said:

SuperFurryAnimal said:

Women's rights? Didn't know she was in the men's league.

You're an idiot! Anytime a woman questions anything she is belittled and if she's a black woman, god help her. The cartoon is disgusting and I hope Serena continues to stand up for her rights.

If she wants to complain about women's rights go play in the men's league. She said it and pointing out women's rights is not the issue. She was wrong, she cheated, she is playing a victim. Coaching happened, Smashed racquet and argued. She broke rules and just cuz she is one of the greatest doesn't put her above the rules. Go play with the men and get an as ass-whooping and then complain about sexism. Nothing would have changed the fact Naomi Osaka would win that day.

What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
Reply #62 posted 09/14/18 8:04pm

SuperFurryAnim
al

free2bFreeda2 said:

CherryMoon57 said:

sho u rite! 👇 some might say Serena's out burst vs McEnroe's is an example of white male privilege. 👀

That was the only reason people watched tennis. I hate tennis but if Serena starts acting like McEnroe every game. I will make some strawberry shortcake and watch tennis. People need to quit playing the victim in the culture wars. If you break the rules can get penalties and it all is up to the umpire. I do like McEnroe he played tennis the way it should be played like hockey and I do approve of Serena's bad behavior but it is not sexism its called breaking the damn rules and getting fined.

The record of John McEnroe's altercations with tennis authorities since he broke into the international circuit in 1977.

June 1977 - Screamed obscenities at French Open line judge while winning mixed doubles final with Mary Carillo, but was not fined.July 1980 - Earned first major warning at Wimbledon for behavior during semifinal against Jimmy Connors.

July 1981 - Fined a total of $6,000 at Wimbledon when he called chair umpire "pits of the world" and told him, "You cannot be serious!" Referee Fred Hoyles said he had come within two tantrums of disqualification during early match against Tom Gulliksen. Defeated Bjorn Borg in a four-set final, but boycotted champions dinner, resulting in another fine. Recommended additional fine of $10,000 overturned on appeal.

May 1983 - Fined $1,000 for calling Czech opponent Tomas Smid a "communist bastard" at Forest Hills event.

June 1983 - Fined $3,500 for clashing with photographer at courtside during French Open.

July 1983 - Fined $325 for swearing at spectator during Wimbledon. Fines during the year totalled $7,500.

May 1984 - Fined $7,500 for misconduct during Stockholm Open.

June 1984 - Accrued fines totalling $3,500 for swearing at linesman and other verbal abuse during match against Connors at French Open.

January 1985 - Dropped from U.S. Davis Cup team after "outrageous behavior" during 1984 final defeat by Sweden.

June 1985 - Loses honorary membership of London's Queen's Club for abusing chairman's wife while practicing. McEnroe later was reinstated.

December 1985 - Fined $3,500 for three separate offenses at Australian Open, culminating with verbal abuse of opponent Slobodan Zivojinovic.

January 1986 - Beaten by Brad Gilbert at Masters finals in New York and fined $1,000 for arguing with spectators.

September 1986 - Received fines totalling $3,500 at U.S. Open after he and partner Peter Fleming were disqualified for arriving late for men's doubles match. Fine broke down to $750 for being late and $2,750 for saying what he thought about the disqualification.

April 1987 - Fined $2,000 for time-wasting during match at WCT event in Dallas.

May 1987 - Fined $4,000 for walking off court during World Cup in Dusseldorf.

September 1987 - Suspended two months and fined $10,000 for various offenses at U.S. Open.

July 1988 - Warned for racket abuse during defeat against Australian Wally Masur at Wimbledon.

July 1989 - Australian John Fitzgerald, a fourth-round loser to McEnroe, accuses him of using tantrums to put off opponents.

January 1990 - Thrown out of Australian Open and fined $6,500 after receiving third warning for misbehavior against Mikael Pernfors.

April 1991 - McEnroe admits own behavior on court "sickens me" after receiving a code violation and point penalty during defeat by fellow American Todd Witsken in Hong Kong.

July 1991 - Fined $10,000 for swearing at linesman in Wimbledon loss against Stefan Edberg, picked up by television microphone.

Total fines - $69,500.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html

What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
Reply #63 posted 09/14/18 8:25pm

nd33

Out of the 3 main characters involved in this match, there were 2 victims:
Naomi Osaka. Who’s winning performance has been overshadowed by tantrums.
The umpire. Who got paid a pitiful $633 for this mess he had to deal with.

For reference, Osaka got paid $5,350,000, and Serena got paid $2,600,000. It’s of note that the amount paid to the players is the same for men and women, even though the women play only 3 sets vs 5 in the men’s. The fact is that the women play less tennis for the same pay, so if anything, it’s skewed in women’s favour when it comes to pay.
Music, sweet music, I wish I could caress and...kiss, kiss...
Reply #64 posted 09/14/18 8:50pm

free2bFreeda2

nd33 said:

For reference, Osaka got paid $5,350,000, and Serena got paid $2,600,000. It’s of note that the amount paid to the players is the same for men and women, even though the women play only 3 sets vs 5 in the men’s. The fact is that the women play less tennis for the same pay, so if anything, it’s skewed in women’s favour when it comes to pay.

🤓
please post a source to back your pay findings
Reply #65 posted 09/14/18 9:15pm

toejam

free2bFreeda2 said:
maybe the following images might help you understand why so many black women and many people feel insulted by the image of an ugly caricature of Serena.

Well, they need not feel insulted because the cartoon is not about "black women" or anyone else. It's about Serena Williams acting immaturely. The artist has fairly and humorously caricatured her as a crying baby.

Everyone in the image has had their physical characteristics exaggerated. The chair umpire has an excessively pointed nose, rosy cheeks, sits in a crouched position, is unrealistically skinny, and speaks a defeatist comment. All of this helps suggest his weakness in controling the situation. Naomi has a tiny mouth and a straight back, all representing her quiet demeanor, professionalism and indifference throughout the whole ordeal.

Serena has... how shall I say... large features in real life. It can't be denied. The depiction of her large open lips in the picture, like the pacifier in the corner, help depict her baby-like crying. All fair game, and not racist. It's really not that dissimilar to these humorous political caricatures where people are portrayed as babies:

01312012_Newt.jpg

Donald-Trump-Whiny-Babyhands.jpg

[Edited 9/14/18 21:37pm]

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
Reply #66 posted 09/14/18 10:06pm

maplenpg

free2bFreeda2 said:

nd33 said:

🤓

I done have the time to look right now for a source but nd33 is right, tennis is one of the few sports where men and women get paid the same. I think I'm right in saying they get the same prize money too. Some of the top male stars have been very vocal about this, insisting they deserve more. Tennis is remarkably progressive when it comes to gender pay.
We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
Reply #67 posted 09/14/18 10:52pm

free2bFreeda2

toejam said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

Well, they need not feel insulted because the cartoon is not about "black women" or anyone else. It's about Serena Williams acting immaturely. The artist has fairly and humorously caricatured her as a crying baby.

Everyone in the image has had their physical characteristics exaggerated. The chair umpire has an excessively pointed nose, rosy cheeks, sits in a crouched position, is unrealistically skinny, and speaks a defeatist comment. All of this helps suggest his weakness in controling the situation. Naomi has a tiny mouth and a straight back, all representing her quiet demeanor, professionalism and indifference throughout the whole ordeal.

Serena has... how shall I say... large features in real life. It can't be denied. The depiction of her large open lips in the picture, like the pacifier in the corner, help depict her baby-like crying. All fair game, and not racist. It's really not that dissimilar to these humorous political caricatures where people are portrayed as babies:

seems your in the minority.

Many on social media were quick to raise serious and critical questions about Knight’s cartoon.
; https://people.com/sports...-williams/
“Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes,” Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling tweeted, “and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop.”

ESPN commentator Jemele Hill called the drawing, “about as subtle as Fran Drescher’s voice.”

seems it's better to agree to disagree. you see Serena as ugly as the caricature of her. i see her as beautiful, brave, skilled woman, as well a iconic hero for women all over the globe.

so there is nothing left for me to say to you.

Reply #68 posted 09/15/18 12:01am

free2bFreeda2

toejam said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

imo it's not so much about the loss as it is about the demeaning and ugly caricature and the selective denigrating words many have expressed right here in this thread. but then if you've never been demeaned in a racist cartoon, then no way would you understand the painful insult.

Whether or not you specifically have been demeaned in a cartoon in your past does not mean this cartoon is about you.

If you feel pained and insulted here, ask yourself why. Why do you feel personally insulted when the cartoon seeks to portray Serena as a spoiled cry-baby? - which I think is fair game given her immaturity in that moment.

[Edited 9/14/18 17:53pm]

i'm very much aware that the Serena caricature is not about me.
if you wonder why I feel insulted at the jim crowish depiction of Serena, remember how Michelle Obama was egregiously portrayed over and over again online just for being a black femske?.
those images were not about me yet they were insulting and painful for me to see.
maybe if you view the following video you might see a glimpse of the similarities of then and now as far as how Serena was depicted in the cartoon. even in her anger she is not that ugly and monstrous looking.
after viewing this video, I hope you get my drift and realize how decades if visual denigrating of blacks by racist artist is yes.....painful.

once again I know it's not about me. however it is about people of color who have similar characteristics, color and facial features as me.
why do I feel insulted? ask yourself.
rolleyes
[Edited 9/15/18 0:01am]
Reply #69 posted 09/15/18 12:11am

NorthC

The whole point of a cartoon is to make things and people look ridiculous. This cartoon says nothing about black people in general or about Serena Williams' succesful carreer. It only says something about this particular incident. The freedom of a comedian or a cartoonist to make jokes about anything and everything he wants is more important than somebody's hurt feelings.
Reply #70 posted 09/15/18 12:33am

toejam

free2bFreeda2 said:

seems your in the minority.

Many on social media were quick to raise serious and critical questions about Knight’s cartoon.

I'm aware I'm probably in the minority here. But I stand by my claims. Racism is not determined by the popular vote of social media.

you see Serena as ugly as the caricature of her. i see her as beautiful, brave, skilled woman, as well a iconic hero for women all over the globe.

I don't see (the real) Serena as ugly.

even in her anger she is not that ugly and monstrous looking.

You don't say?! lol Nobody in real life is as ugly and monstrous looking as cartoonists portray. Are the real life people behind the caricatures below (by the same cartoonist) really so ugly ... ?

herald-sun-front-page-defends-mark-knight-data.jpg
... of course not!

Cartoonists exaggerate features for the sake of humor and to make a point. In Serena's case, the point is that Serena acted like a spoiled child, and so the cartoonist has altered her appearance in ways to give that effect.

decades of visual denigrating of blacks by racist artist[s]

once again I know it's not about me. however it is about people of color who have similar characteristics, color and facial features as me.

Unlike some of the paraphernalia at the museum in your video, the cartoon we're discussing is not about blacks or people of color. It's about Serena Williams throwing a child-like tantrum, which she did.

[Edited 9/15/18 0:38am]

Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Reply #71 posted 09/15/18 12:33am

toejam

NorthC said:

The whole point of a cartoon is to make things and people look ridiculous. This cartoon says nothing about black people in general or about Serena Williams' succesful carreer. It only says something about this particular incident. The freedom of a comedian or a cartoonist to make jokes about anything and everything he wants is more important than somebody's hurt feelings.

Exactly.

Reply #72 posted 09/15/18 12:47am

free2bFreeda2

toejam said:

NorthC said:

Exactly.

Many people disagree with you two.

The racist Serena cartoon is straight out of 1910

September 12, 2018
: https://www.google.com/am...index.html
excerpt:
Knight's Serena cartoon, in its use of racist caricature, is very much in this tradition of condemning black citizenship in cartooning. Not only does it incorporate the most base representations of black women, it also replicates imperialist visual themes like a black grotesque and a victimized white woman. His choice to render fellow champion Naomi Osaka (whose heritage is Japanese and Haitian) as a small, blonde white woman reminded me of another Australian cartoon -- this one from 1910.
Cartoonists need to be as thoughtful about the message of their cartoons just as much as they are about their depictions

[Edited 9/15/18 0:57am]
Reply #73 posted 09/15/18 1:30am

TweetyV6

ThatWhiteDude said:

TweetyV6 said:

GET OVER IT!

Nope

Exactly: your problem.

Dude, if you knew what I went through when I was a kid... if I hadn't canged my attitude to not being offended anymore by what was (and sometimes still is) said and how I was treated, I could have ended up as one of those kids killing themselves for being bullied.

You can't change idiots, you can only choose to ignore them and make friends who accept you regardless of how you look or what you are.

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #74 posted 09/15/18 1:36am

TweetyV6

ThatWhiteDude said:

TweetyV6 said:

The fucktwats that scream "Racism!" when they look at the cartoon, they have a problem of looking too seriously at life. What want these people to achieve? That the cartoonists gets fired? Trialed? Killed maybe? (Charlie Hebdo anyone?) How does it impact their lives?? Do they sleep bad? Get sick to the stomach?

So we're all fucktwats for pointing out racism?

In the particular case of this cartoon: Yes.
You don't seem to understand what a saterical cartoon is.

Now answer the question what you would like to achieve by screaming 'Racism'

It's your modus operandi: Act offended, don't engage in an in-depth discussion.

The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification - Thomas Henry Huxley
Reply #75 posted 09/15/18 1:41am

TweetyV6

DiminutiveRocker said:

CherryMoon57 said:

You cannot be serious!

I'm serious - McEnroe was KNOWN for his tyraids on the court - throwing rackets, screaming at the umpires.

lol lol lol

I remember it as if it were yesterday...

They even made a song about it: The Brat with Chalk Dust (the Umpire Strikes Back)

Reply #76 posted 09/15/18 1:54am

toejam

free2bFreeda2 said:

September 12, 2018
excerpt:
Knight's Serena cartoon, in its use of racist caricature, is very much in this tradition of condemning black citizenship in cartooning. Not only does it incorporate the most base representations of black women, it also replicates imperialist visual themes like a black grotesque and a victimized white woman. His choice to render fellow champion Naomi Osaka (whose heritage is Japanese and Haitian) as a small, blonde white woman reminded me of another Australian cartoon -- this one from 1910.

Naomi is not depicted as a "victimized white woman". She is not white in the cartoon - her skin tone is darker than that of the white chair umpire. She has blonde hair because she had dyed-blonde hair on the day. Nor is she depicted as victimized - the umpire's comment indicating that she is winning! Her upright stature indicates her professionalism, contrasted against Serena's. Naomi is only smaller because she's in the background. The cartoon is not about "condemning black citizenship". Sheesh. Any grotesqueness in Serena's depiction is simply part of her being portrayed as a spoiled crying baby - an apt analogy given her behaviour on the day. The writer of this article is projecting so much onto this.

serena.jpg

[Edited 9/15/18 2:13am]

Reply #77 posted 09/15/18 6:39am

CherryMoon57

Her attitude already spoke much louder than that caricature of her. She clearly is a bad loser.

Image result for serena angry moments

Serena Williams' US Open 2018 final umpire row Image result for serena angry moments

Open your heart open your mind
A train is leaving all day
Reply #78 posted 09/15/18 7:11am

free2bFreeda2

CherryMoon57 said:

Her attitude already spoke much louder than that caricature of her. She clearly is a bad loser.

Image result for serena angry moments

Serena Williams' US Open 2018 final umpire row Image result for serena angry moments

for many of us who are african americans, the cartoon caricature of Serena Williams is still jom crow, stereotypical, racialized imagery from a supremacist sick and blinded racist white mindset.
of course due to a need to live within the classic overseer mentality and (apparently) a need to live within the realm of insensitive racial ignorance ans a self appoiappointed superiority, you won't EVER get the point.
🤓
too bad.
Reply #79 posted 09/15/18 7:30am

CherryMoon57

^I don't think this kind of point - which I often defend myself - applies to this particular situation.

I watched the whole moment and couldn't help feel sorry for the umpire who had to face her verbal attacks and intimidating behaviour.

Open your heart open your mind
A train is leaving all day
Reply #80 posted 09/15/18 7:40am

nd33

free2bFreeda2 said:

nd33 said:

🤓

https://www.news.com.au/s...58b0f5ecb8
Music, sweet music, I wish I could caress and...kiss, kiss...
Reply #81 posted 09/15/18 7:58am

TweetyV6

free2bFreeda2 said:

from a supremacist sick and blinded racist white mindset. of course due to a need to live within the classic overseer mentality and (apparently) a need to live within the realm of insensitive racial ignorance ans a self appoiappointed superiority, you won't EVER get the point. 🤓 too bad.

If that is what you're convinced it is, then I cannot say other than that you're a nutcase.

Reply #82 posted 09/15/18 8:20am

2freaky4church

You all forgot this:

Image result for obama new yorker

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #83 posted 09/15/18 8:53am

2elijah

free2bFreeda2 said:

toejam said:

NorthC said:

Exactly.

September 12, 2018
excerpt:
Cartoonists need to be as thoughtful about the message of their cartoons just as much as they are about their depictions

If anyone can’t see that the image is an exaggerated, racist, stereotyped caricature of Serena, either lacks the knowledge of the long history of many, similar ones like that or is just in total denial. That cartoonist knew it would get attention and controversy and he won. That’s all I’ll say about that.
Reply #84 posted 09/15/18 8:57am

2freaky4church

2Elijah, but she is still a spoiled brat, right?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #85 posted 09/15/18 9:30am

ThatWhiteDude

2elijah said:

free2bFreeda2 said:
If anyone can’t see that the image is an exaggerated, racist, stereotyped caricature of Serena, either lacks the knowledge of the long history of many, similar ones like that or is just in total denial. That cartoonist knew it would get attention and controversy and he won. That’s all I’ll say about that.

Exactly, and the pictures Tweety posted are of white people and the artists didn't draw them with any kind of stereotypes, that howard from BBT for example, he's a jew and if the artist would've given him a big/long nose and large fingers, it would've been racist. But the artist didn't and that is the difference.

free2bFreeda2 is right when she says that it looks like a Jim Crow caricature.

The comic of serena is racist period.

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."

"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
Reply #86 posted 09/15/18 10:33am

2elijah

ThatWhiteDude said:

2elijah said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

Exactly, and the pictures Tweety posted are of white people and the artists didn't draw them with any kind of stereotypes, that howard from BBT for example, he's a jew and if the artist would've given him a big/long nose and large fingers, it would've been racist. But the artist didn't and that is the difference.

Absolutely....the cartoonist took advantage of the situation for the purpose of publicity for himself. He knew it would draw the controversy and attention he wanted.
Reply #87 posted 09/15/18 10:44am

free2bFreeda2

TweetyV6 said:

free2bFreeda2 said:

from a supremacist sick and blinded racist white mindset. of course due to a need to live within the classic overseer mentality and (apparently) a need to live within the realm of insensitive racial ignorance ans a self appoiappointed superiority, you won't EVER get the point. 🤓 too bad.

If that is what you're convinced it is, then I cannot say other than that you're a nutcase.

and my misguided overseer it may well be that you are the kernel who continues to plant and be the fertilizer that waters the egregious roots and family trees of your jim crow mindset.
[Edited 9/15/18 10:48am]
Reply #88 posted 09/15/18 10:54am

ThatWhiteDude

free2bFreeda2 said:

TweetyV6 said:

and my misguided overseer it may well be that you are the kernel who continues to plant and be the fertilizer that waters the egregious roots and family trees of your jim crow mindset. [Edited 9/15/18 10:48am]

You go free2b!

Reply #89 posted 09/15/18 11:00am

ThatWhiteDude

2elijah said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

Absolutely....the cartoonist took advantage of the situation for the purpose of publicity for himself. He knew it would draw the controversy and attention he wanted.

yeahthat But some will never get it :/

Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > I'm sorry but Serena Williams is not a victim.