independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Source: Forbes.com: New Rule: Residents In Nine States Will Need Passports For Domestic Flights in 2018
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

2elijah

Source: Forbes.com: New Rule: Residents In Nine States Will Need Passports For Domestic Flights in 2018

Hope many of you have passports if you live in any of the states, mentioned in the article. I bet this rule will extend to other states. The new rule takes effect on January 22, 3018.

New Rule: Residents In Nine States Will Need Passports For Domestic Flights in 2018

By Lea Lane, Contributor

https://www.forbes.com/si...b10cf13657

"When traveling, it's best to plan ahead whenever you can. For example, you may have thought you don't need a passport because you don't travel outside the United States. But for residents of nine states, that will change at the beginning of 2018 for any commercial flight, whether international or domestic.
As reported by Travel and Leisure, nine states will no longer allow travelers to board an airplane with just their state issued driver’s licenses as of January 22, 2018. To get past TSA security checkpoints, another form of identification will be required: passport, permanent resident card/green card or a military ID.

The Real ID Act of 2005 states that state-issued IDs from these nine states do not meet the minimum security standards of the federal government:

Kentucky
Maine
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Washington

Back in December, it was announced that signage would start being placed around the security checkpoints in airports to remind travelers of what is to come. With just a few months until the Real ID Act goes into full effect, it is time to start planning now and look into getting your passport.

Some states have started working on offering federally approved issued IDs that would not require a passport for domestic air travel. Check with your local government office to see if there is a different type of ID you can apply for.
These posters are huge reminders that 2018 is not nearly as far away as it seems. On January 22, 2018, the enforcement for those nine states will go into effect, and by 2020, even more people will end up needing a passport, as confirmed by the official website of the TSA."

This means that if you’re going to take a flight and you have a state-issued ID from one of those nine states, you will need a passport to go anywhere. That includes going to the next state, across the country, or even to Walt Disney World, as all domestic travel is included in these new standards."

(Click on link to continue reading)
[Edited 10/13/17 15:34pm]
Always smile in the face of adversity. smile
#NOFEAR
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/13/17 4:20pm

morningsong

My first thoughts:

Wait! What?

How did California pass the federal standards?

There goes Minnesota again.

I might as well just say bunk it and get my passport over and done with, these rules keep changing in completely unpredictable ways.

Reply #2 posted 10/13/17 4:33pm

OnlyNDaUsa

this has been in the pipeline for a LONG time. maybe 15 years? I think it has been delayed a few times too...bet it is again.

The Spike is Real Wear a Mask (this is not the 2nd Wave)
Reply #3 posted 10/13/17 4:56pm

morningsong

• Beginning October 1, 2020, you may only use a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or ID or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel.

Yeah, just better to have ones passport.

Reply #4 posted 10/13/17 7:10pm

PennyPurple

That's because the politicans here in Missouri SUCK. They can't do one simple f'n thing. Pisses me off. We have been talking about this Missouri for the past couple of years, they knew it was coming. Although it's late, they have started working on it again. sad

I need a passport to travel in the United States. How stupid.

[Edited 10/13/17 19:10pm]

A MASK ISN'T TOO MUCH TO ASK!!
JJPOPPYSBOMBSQUAD #OPINIONSMATTER
Reply #5 posted 10/14/17 8:26am

2freaky4church

Some fucking libertarians they are. Bastards.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #6 posted 10/14/17 8:48am

2elijah

morningsong said:

• Beginning October 1, 2020, you may only use a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or ID or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel.

Yes it's better to just have a passport, regardless of which state you live in. I just got my passport last year, and I even have a passport card. I don't t live in any of the states mentioned, but it's just good to have a passport anyway.
#NOFEAR
Reply #7 posted 10/14/17 9:15am

2freaky4church

Why u readin Forces 2?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
Reply #8 posted 10/16/17 12:53pm

poppys

2elijah said:

morningsong said:

Yes it's better to just have a passport, regardless of which state you live in. I just got my passport last year, and I even have a passport card. I don't t live in any of the states mentioned, but it's just good to have a passport anyway.

Wow. That is so crazy. Passports are expensive. So, a valid driver's license is OK? I've been meaning to get my passport renewed anyway, but this could really catch people out that have to travel suddenly for a funeral or something.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
Reply #9 posted 10/16/17 3:17pm

2elijah

poppys said:

2elijah said:

morningsong said:

Wow. That is so crazy. Passports are expensive. So, a valid driver's license is OK? I've been meaning to get my passport renewed anyway, but this could really catch people out that have to travel suddenly for a funeral or something.

I believe it will have to be a federally issued ID, according to the article, for residents who live in the states mentioned in the article. May as well get a passport.

From the article:
"Some states have started working on offering federally approved issued IDs that would not require a passport for domestic air travel. Check with your local government office to see if there is a different type of ID you can apply for."
[Edited 10/16/17 15:20pm]
#NOFEAR
Reply #10 posted 10/16/17 3:18pm

PennyPurple

I shouldn't have to get a passport to travel withIN my Country. sad

Reply #11 posted 10/16/17 3:55pm

poppys

PennyPurple said:

Agree. They are making people that will never travel out of the country buy passports. Money and information grab.

Reply #12 posted 10/16/17 4:42pm

2elijah

PennyPurple said:

I know, it's getting ridiculous, and I wonder why those states in particular? shrug
#NOFEAR
Reply #13 posted 10/16/17 5:28pm

PennyPurple

2elijah said:

PennyPurple said:

I know, it's getting ridiculous, and I wonder why those states in particular? shrug

Some of the Repubs in Missouri don't want to 'bow' to the federal government law on this. They are saying that the government is overreaching and putting private citizens at risk. They think that the database could be hacked and our info stolen...........No worries....Equifax already got hacked for the majority of us, and we didn't even give them permission to collect OUR data.

Reply #14 posted 10/17/17 6:08am

OnlyNDaUsa

PennyPurple said:

2elijah said:

PennyPurple said: I know, it's getting ridiculous, and I wonder why those states in particular? shrug

Some of the Repubs in Missouri don't want to 'bow' to the federal government law on this. They are saying that the government is overreaching and putting private citizens at risk. They think that the database could be hacked and our info stolen...........No worries....Equifax already got hacked for the majority of us, and we didn't even give them permission to collect OUR data.

actually most if not all did. if you've ever applied for credit there is almost always if not always a thing about reporting it to credit bureaus. Still, they apparently KNEW of the flaw and did nothing to fix it...

Reply #15 posted 10/17/17 10:27am

PennyPurple

OnlyNDaUsa said:

PennyPurple said:

actually most if not all did. if you've ever applied for credit there is almost always if not always a thing about reporting it to credit bureaus. Still, they apparently KNEW of the flaw and did nothing to fix it...

You are correct, but I didn't give any of my info to the credit bureaus.

Reply #16 posted 10/17/17 1:12pm

poppys

I don't get passport cards. Is this new? What's the difference between a card and a book?

Adult First Time Applicants (Age 16 Years and Older)
What Are You Applying For?
Application Fee
Execution Fee
Total Fees
Adult PPT Book + Card $140 + $25 = $165
Adult Passport Book $110 + $25 = $135
Adult Passport Card*
*If you do NOT currently hold a valid Passport Book
$30 + $25 = $55

Adult Renewals
(Age 16 Years and Older)
Application Fee
Execution Fee
Total Fees
Adult PPT Book + Card $140 + $0 = $140
Adult Passport Book $110 + $0 = $110
Adult Passport Card*
*If you currently hold a valid Passport Book
$30 + $0 = $30

us-passport-service-guide.com

Reply #17 posted 10/17/17 1:15pm

OnlyNDaUsa

poppys said:

I don't get passport cards. Is this new? What's the difference between a card and a book?

Adult First Time Applicants (Age 16 Years and Older) What Are You Applying For?
Application Fee
Execution Fee
Total Fees
Adult PPT Book + Card $140 + $25 = $165 Adult Passport Book $110 + $25 = $135 Adult Passport Card*
*If you do NOT currently hold a valid Passport Book $30 + $25 = $55

Adult Renewals
(Age 16 Years and Older) What Are You Applying For?
Application Fee
Execution Fee
Total Fees
Adult PPT Book + Card $140 + $0 = $140 Adult Passport Book $110 + $0 = $110 Adult Passport Card*
*If you currently hold a valid Passport Book $30 + $0 = $30

my google says

The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

EDIT: it seems the cost of the card is $55 for 16 and over ($30 for a renewal by mail)

[Edited 10/17/17 13:18pm]

Reply #18 posted 10/17/17 2:06pm

2elijah

OnlyNDaUsa said:

poppys said:

Adult First Time Applicants (Age 16 Years and Older)
Application Fee

Execution Fee

Total Fees

Adult PPT Book + Card
$140
+
$25
=
$165
Adult Passport Book
$110
+
$25
=
$135
Adult Passport Card*
*If you do NOT currently hold a valid Passport Book
$30
+
$25
=
$55

Adult Renewals
(Age 16 Years and Older)
Application Fee

Execution Fee

Total Fees

Adult PPT Book + Card
$140
+
$0
=
$140
Adult Passport Book
$110
+
$0
=
$110
Adult Passport Card*
*If you currently hold a valid Passport Book
$30
+
$0
=
$30

my google says

The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

EDIT: it seems the cost of the card is $55 for 16 and over ($30 for a renewal by mail)

[Edited 10/17/17 13:18pm]

To you and Poppy - I have both; passport and passport card.

Passport card is as small as a driver's license, but at least it's a federal ID card.
[Edited 10/17/17 14:07pm]
#NOFEAR
Reply #19 posted 10/17/17 2:17pm

poppys

Thanks. That is still a lot of money to shell out to the Federal Gov if you don't plan to travel internationally, just to take a domestic flight. Ridiculous. I wonder if the airline lobbies are weighing in on this probable loss of business?

Reply #20 posted 10/17/17 2:48pm

morningsong

With the way things are going, I seriously think it's better to just have the passport in case one needs to make that mad dash.

Reply #21 posted 10/17/17 7:30pm

2elijah

morningsong said:

With the way things are going, I seriously think it's better to just have the passport in case one needs to make that mad dash.

Very true.
#NOFEAR
Reply #22 posted 10/18/17 7:18am

poppys

2elijah said:

morningsong said:

Very true.

That sounds like a plan but it really isn't. Once it comes down to the mad dash, everyone won't get out. Having a passport doesn't mean you can use it no matter what. The time to leave if you are going to is before it hits the fan. And that is a very hard thing to figure out.

Learned the hard way with Katrina. Getting out was one thing. Finding gas beyond what was in the tank was a whole nother can of worms. That's how I got stuck in Jackson, Mississippi for a week along with hundreds of other people, lined up at empty gas stations for days with grandma and the pets all living in the car.

Reply #23 posted 10/18/17 8:04am

OnlyNDaUsa

poppys said:

2elijah said:

morningsong said: Very true.

That sounds like a plan but it really isn't. Once it comes down to the mad dash, everyone won't get out. Having a passport doesn't mean you can use it no matter what. The time to leave if you are going to is before it hits the fan. And that is a very hard thing to figure out.

Learned the hard way with Katrina. Getting out was one thing. Finding gas beyond what was in the tank was a whole nother can of worms. That's how I got stuck in Jackson, Mississippi for a week along with hundreds of other people, lined up at empty gas stations for days with grandma and the pets all living in the car.

I hope that day is SOON!

Reply #24 posted 10/18/17 8:13am

poppys

OnlyNDaUsa said:

poppys said:

I hope that day is SOON!

Huh? What day are you talking about? I didn't even use the word day.

Reply #25 posted 10/18/17 8:54am

OnlyNDaUsa

poppys said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

I hope that day is SOON!

the day that things get so bad that people leave in droves!

Reply #26 posted 10/18/17 9:11am

poppys

OnlyNDaUsa said:

poppys said:

pure D trolling

Reply #27 posted 10/18/17 9:52am

OnlyNDaUsa

poppys said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

pure D trolling

as opposed to suggesting things will get so bad under trump that there would be a mad dash to leave? did you forget the 3 options: 1) do nothing 2) try to change it 3) leave...

Now it was cheeky but the point is if you or anyone wants to leave....well bye

Reply #28 posted 10/18/17 9:56am

poppys

OnlyNDaUsa said:

poppys said:

pure D trolling

as opposed to suggesting things will get so bad under trump that there would be a mad dash to leave? did you forget the 3 options: 1) do nothing 2) try to change it 3) leave...

You already tried that with me. Didn't work.

I did not suggest leaving. I answered a perfectly good comment someone else made with my own experience. Read the thread.

Reply #29 posted 10/18/17 10:06am

OnlyNDaUsa

poppys said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

You already tried that with me. Didn't work.

I did not suggest leaving. I answered a perfectly good comment someone else made with my own experience. Read the thread.

what you said....well what I took out of it... was that it might be difficult to leave... that (for now) it is not practical or worth it... but that was not the point of the original reply by morningsong about it getting to the point were people wound need to make a mad dash.

So what you did was suggest that you do not think we will get to a point where you would feel you need to leave.

your example of needed to leave (which if Ray Negan was no so corrupt might have been much better facilitated) town actually supports Morningsong's post about a mad dash... that thing could get so bad in your opinion as to make leaving a viable option.

So really you have nothing to say to me about it...

Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Source: Forbes.com: New Rule: Residents In Nine States Will Need Passports For Domestic Flights in 2018