independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 11:38pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > MSM wants civil war
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

djThunderfunk

MSM wants civil war

The mainstream media, left and right, is doing everything it can to divide the country and lead us to civil war.

I don't have to make this case with conservative media, most here already hate/distrust them, and for good reasons. However, many here take liberal media as gospel. I've got some not-fake news for you, they're playing you, too.

Take CNN, they have an article up that makes the case that everyone who voted for trump is a "white supremacist by default".

http://edition.cnn.com/20...index.html

This is nonsense, and it's dangerous. Most here know that I vote 3rd party when it comes to presidential elections, but most of my friends, family and acquantences do not. Like most of you, they choose the "lesser of two evils", some voted hillary, some voted trump. I am certain that those that voted trump are absolutely not "white supremacists", not even by "default". Some of them aren't even white. I won't get in to the many reasons I've heard from those that voted for him, but race was not a factor. By making this inflamatory statement, CNN is pouring gasoline on the fire, trying to make it bigger.

Then you have The Washington Post making the case to restrict freedom of speech, to fight the alt-right.

https://www.washingtonpos...9ae61fa6f7

Clearly, using the current divide to argue for limiting our freedom of speech is not good for any of us, left, right or center. It is an opportunistic play to get us to willingly give up our rights to defeat the "enemy". They want to play on our fears and anger to trick us into giving up freedom that could never be reclaimed other than through violence.

The truth is, MSM, left AND right, is all owned by corporate interests that want nothing more than control, that hate our freedoms, and that will do anything they can to fan the flames and lead us straight into civil war. Don't listen to them. Don't trust them. Real news does not editorialize and tell you what the news means or what you should think about it. The actors and news readers you trust, because they tell you what you think you want to hear, are manipulating you. Their mission is to divide us. Turn them off.

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/24/17 7:19am

RodeoSchro

Delete your account.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
Reply #2 posted 08/24/17 7:38am

Silvertongue7

RodeoSchro said:

Delete your account.

I think I'm deleting mine, this is fucking ridiculous. I'm starting to think that you have the president you deserve (not you personally, Rodeo, I know where you stand). This farce ceased to be funny so long ago...
Reply #3 posted 08/24/17 7:54am

djThunderfunk

RodeoSchro said:

Delete your account.

lol lol lol

Do you want to make the case that liberal media is trustworthy and not pushing left and right extremists into conflict?

Do you believe that EVERYONE who voted for the assclown trump is a "white supremacist by default"?

Do you believe that giving up freedom of speech to silence the extremists on the right would be good for Americans?

Perhaps you think that liberal media is not owned by corporate interests, or, that those corporate interests are honorable?

I really can't tell, because, "delete your account" is a very inefficient way of "debating" my points.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #4 posted 08/24/17 7:59am

djThunderfunk

Silvertongue7 said:

RodeoSchro said:

Delete your account.

I think I'm deleting mine, this is fucking ridiculous. I'm starting to think that you have the president you deserve (not you personally, Rodeo, I know where you stand). This farce ceased to be funny so long ago...

What does this topic have to do who is president? The only "ridiculous farce" I see is from those that insist that every P&R topic must be about trump and that every opinion must fit into a pro-trump or anti-trump paradigm.

I'm not talking about that reality-show, tweeting maniac. I'm talking about the media. There are many threads available to rant about trump.

[Edited 8/24/17 8:08am]

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #5 posted 08/24/17 8:31am

djThunderfunk

Earlier this week, The Atlantic made the case for the inherent racism of the eclipse, a concept so preposterous that I could hardly believe it wasn't from The Onion.

https://www.theatlantic.c...ce/537318/

Yet some of you are convinced that I must have a pro-trump "agenda" for trying to have a conversation about the media.....

GTFOHWTCBSN!! lol

[Edited 8/24/17 8:31am]

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #6 posted 08/24/17 8:38am

SanMartin

No one in the mainstream media would benefit from a civil war, so there's no reason to think they're trying to create one.

Reply #7 posted 08/24/17 8:38am

RodeoSchro

djThunderfunk said:

Earlier this week, The Atlantic made the case for the inherent racism of the eclipse, a concept so preposterous that I could hardly believe it wasn't from The Onion.

Yet some of you are convinced that I must have a pro-trump "agenda" for trying to have a conversation about the media.....

GTFOHWTCBSN!! lol

President Trump says that the MSM do not like America, and now here you are with a thread saying the MSM wants to start a civil war.

Delete your account.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
Reply #8 posted 08/24/17 8:52am

Silvertongue7

djThunderfunk said:

Silvertongue7 said:

RodeoSchro said:

Delete your account.

What does this topic have to do who is president? The only "ridiculous farce" I see is from those that insist that every P&R topic must be about trump and that every opinion must fit into a pro-trump or anti-trump paradigm.

I'm not talking about that reality-show, tweeting maniac. I'm talking about the media. There are many threads available to rant about trump.

And just 24 hours ago one of the other non-trump supporters created one to rant about the media.
Reply #9 posted 08/24/17 8:55am

djThunderfunk

RodeoSchro said:

djThunderfunk said:

GTFOHWTCBSN!! lol

President Trump says that the MSM do not like America, and now here you are with a thread saying the MSM wants to start a civil war.

Delete your account.

Ah, so I must support trump, then, huh? Doesn't matter what I think of him at all? It's probably proof I'm a racist and a nazi, too, I guess...

If you are so obsessed with trump that you're willing to stop thinking and believe that EVERYONE that voted for him is a "white supremacist by default", that we should give up our freedom of speech to fight racism/nazis/trump/al-right/whatever, or that the eclipse is racist, you might want to remove yourself from the echo-chambers spewing such nonsense.

I won't be deleting my account. However, I may grow tired of trying to have rational discussions and attempting to find common values amongst the extremists & commies that dominate the P&R forums.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #10 posted 08/24/17 8:57am

djThunderfunk

SanMartin said:

No one in the mainstream media would benefit from a civil war, so there's no reason to think they're trying to create one.

The corporations that own them could certainly benefit from a civil war, martial law and restrictions of freedoms.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #11 posted 08/24/17 9:00am

2elijah

djThunderfunk said:

RodeoSchro said:

djThunderfunk said:

GTFOHWTCBSN!! lol

Delete your account.

Ah, so I must support trump, then, huh? Doesn't matter what I think of him at all? It's probably proof I'm a racist and a nazi, too, I guess...

If you are so obsessed with trump that you're willing to stop thinking and believe that EVERYONE that voted for him is a "white supremacist by default", that we should give up our freedom of speech to fight racism/nazis/trump/al-right/whatever, or that the eclipse is racist, you might want to remove yourself from the echo-chambers spewing such nonsense.

I won't be deleting my account. However, I may grow tired of trying to have rational discussions and attempting to find common values amongst the extremists & commies that dominate the P&R forums.

Well maybe it's because you don't know how to be rational, in order to have a rational discussion. You come across screaming all the time, and result to throwing insults, when someone disagrees with you, even when they agree to disagree.
[Edited 8/24/17 9:00am]
Reply #12 posted 08/24/17 9:00am

djThunderfunk

Silvertongue7 said:

djThunderfunk said:

And just 24 hours ago one of the other non-trump supporters created one to rant about the media.

That thread has a different approach and was already hijacked with the same nonsense that infects every thread in this forum, including already, this one.

If the "news outlets" I cited are so trustworthy, defend the articles I referenced. You know, as that is the topic of this thread.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #13 posted 08/24/17 9:03am

djThunderfunk

2elijah said:

djThunderfunk said:

Well maybe it's because you don't know how to be rational, in order to have a rational discussion. You come across screaming all the time, and result to throwing insults, when someone disagrees with you, even when they agree to disagree. [Edited 8/24/17 9:00am]

"screaming all the time"?!? lol Bull. Shit. Liar.

I don't even "throw insults" first. Although I'll admit, I am happy to return them.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #14 posted 08/24/17 9:05am

2elijah

djThunderfunk said:

2elijah said:

djThunderfunk said:

Well maybe it's because you don't know how to be rational, in order to have a rational discussion. You come across screaming all the time, and result to throwing insults, when someone disagrees with you, even when they agree to disagree. [Edited 8/24/17 9:00am]

I don't even "throw insults" first. Although I'll admit, I am happy to return them.

Lmao.. falloff You just did exactly what you're denying. chill pill comfort
Reply #15 posted 08/24/17 9:09am

djThunderfunk

2elijah said:

djThunderfunk said:

Lmao.. falloff You just did exactly what you're denying. chill pill comfort

I "screamed"? Nope. You're projecting.

I didn't "throw insults" first either. I merely responded to yours.

So, keep your chillpill, engage in the topic at hand, or move along.
Your trolling and lies are SO boring... bored

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #16 posted 08/24/17 9:12am

SanMartin

djThunderfunk said:

SanMartin said:

The corporations that own them could certainly benefit from a civil war, martial law and restrictions of freedoms.

Why? What would they get out of it?

In addition to my previous comment, I would point out that the corporations which own the main media outlets aren't monolithic. The articles we read are written by the rank-and-file of journalists who, believe it or not, are normal, principled people who certainly don't hate America.

[Edited 8/24/17 9:37am]

Reply #17 posted 08/24/17 9:14am

2elijah

The author of that CNN article may have a point. Trump was able to use his con game, to give many of his White supporters their 'Last White Hope', and they bought into it, despite fully knowing he spewed racist and divisive comments, his association with Bannon, his sexist comments, and his long history of insulting non-White Americans. The tactic he used was offering many of his White supporters a 'Whiter America.' Many Whites who hold hidden racist beliefs, but not part of a hate group, bought into his message.
[Edited 8/24/17 9:15am]
Reply #18 posted 08/24/17 9:19am

djThunderfunk

For the record:

I do not believe that everybody who voted for hillary is a communist by default.

I do not believe that we should limit freedom of speech to silence extremists on the left.

And the racist eclipse thing... well, that was joke, right? Surely The Atlantic was trolling?

[Edited 8/24/17 9:19am]

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #19 posted 08/24/17 9:22am

Silvertongue7

djThunderfunk said:

Silvertongue7 said:

djThunderfunk said:

That thread has a different approach and was already hijacked with the same nonsense that infects every thread in this forum, including already, this one.

If the "news outlets" I cited are so trustworthy, defend the articles I referenced. You know, as that is the topic of this thread.

I do not need to defend those articles. I don't even have to read them (and if you had copied them from fox I wouldn't either). Unless they say 'the only way out is war' they won't prove that 'The truth is, MSM, left AND right, is all owned by corporate interests that want nothing more than control, that hate our freedoms, and that will do anything they can to fan the flames and lead us straight into civil war.'
But it's good to see how you have bought into the president's rhetoric, even though you claim to know that he's a buffoon.
Reply #20 posted 08/24/17 9:24am

djThunderfunk

2elijah said:

The author of that CNN article may have a point. Trump was able to use his con game, to give many of his White supporters their 'Last White Hope', and they bought into it, despite fully knowing he spewed racist and divisive comments, his association with Bannon, his sexist comments, and his long history of insulting non-White Americans. The tactic he used was offering many of his White supporters a 'Whiter America.' Many Whites who hold hidden racist beliefs, but not part of a hate group, bought into his message. [Edited 8/24/17 9:15am]

That's a pretty big stretch to get to everyone who voted for him is a white supremacist by default. I know and have argued with lots of people who voted for him. There were many, many other reasons. Especially for the non-white people who voted for him.

If all conservatives or republicans or anybody on the "right" can be labeled a "white supremacist" in this atmosphere, then many will expand their "punch a nazi" mentality to "punch anyone on the right, after all, they are white supremacists by default".

It's a dangerous, idiotic concept to promote.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #21 posted 08/24/17 9:32am

djThunderfunk

Silvertongue7 said:

djThunderfunk said:

I do not need to defend those articles. I don't even have to read them (and if you had copied them from fox I wouldn't either). Unless they say 'the only way out is war' they won't prove that 'The truth is, MSM, left AND right, is all owned by corporate interests that want nothing more than control, that hate our freedoms, and that will do anything they can to fan the flames and lead us straight into civil war.' But it's good to see how you have bought into the president's rhetoric, even though you claim to know that he's a buffoon.

Well, since I've been saying this about the MSM for over 2 decades, I don't see how I bought his rhetoric. Now, if you said I bought the rhetoric of Noam Chomsky, Jello Biafra, the documentary The Corporation, or the like, you might be closer. But really, I started formulating my opinions of the media when I worked for my local NBC affiliate in the early 90s, before I was exposed to any anti-MSM "rhetoric". And loooong before that assclown you're obsessed with had anything to say on the matter.

But, good try.

Not-Fake-News-Flash: trump and MSM suck!! Just like antifa & kkk, I will not be forced into either camp. I still think... "it ain't illegal yet!" wink

[Edited 8/24/17 9:34am]

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #22 posted 08/24/17 9:33am

deebee

djThunderfunk said:

The mainstream media, left and right, is doing everything it can to divide the country and lead us to civil war.

[...]

Clearly, using the current divide to argue for limiting our freedom of speech is not good for any of us, left, right or center. It is an opportunistic play to get us to willingly give up our rights to defeat the "enemy". They want to play on our fears and anger to trick us into giving up freedom that could never be reclaimed other than through violence.

The truth is, MSM, left AND right, is all owned by corporate interests that want nothing more than control, that hate our freedoms, and that will do anything they can to fan the flames and lead us straight into civil war. Don't listen to them. Don't trust them. Real news does not editorialize and tell you what the news means or what you should think about it. The actors and news readers you trust, because they tell you what you think you want to hear, are manipulating you. Their mission is to divide us. Turn them off.

Goofy, paranoid twaddle.

1. The "mission" over corporate media entities is not to "divide" anyone; it's to make profit and increase market share. If actions taken in pursuit of that end are divisive, that's what they'll do; if a great show of patriotic unity is what's in (e.g. after 9/11), then that will be their tack. Telling people what they want to hear is certainly part of it, but they have no inherent interest in division.

2. Constitutional "freedoms" pose little threat to corporate interests. One of the central functions of the legal system as a whole is to guarantee a secure commercial environment for businesses - including corporations - to operate in. And corporations, for the most part, are in a position to exploit the power that comes with commanding shedloads of cash to tilt the law and its application in their favour, e.g. bending environmental regs, limiting liability for what happens to employees, turning public goods into privately-owned assets, avoiding publication of information that might compromise business activity, etc. Hell, Constitutionally-based legal instruments are even used to secure rights of 'personhood' to corporations, even as freedoms are substantively denied to significant swathes of the population.

3. There is not a single corporation in the country that seeks to foment civil war. Corporations seek a stable, predictable, secure commercial environment, prosperous consumers, access to stable, competitively-priced inputs, etc. Most of the time, they seek to smoothly reproduce the staus quo. (Witness how many supported status quo candidate Hillary Clinton last election for just this reason.) They have zero interest in upturning the peaceful, secure status quo to an unpredictable state of conflict that would see consumers' lives thrown into turmoil, and thus their source of effective demand for the services of them and their sponsors plummet. It's kookoo to even indulge this notion.

Open up the windows of your bunker and let the soothing breezes caress your skin.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin
Reply #23 posted 08/24/17 9:38am

djThunderfunk

deebee said:

djThunderfunk said:

[...]

Goofy, paranoid twaddle.

1. The "mission" over corporate media entities is not to "divide" anyone; it's to make profit and increase market share. If actions taken in pursuit of that end are divisive, that's what they'll do; if a great show of patriotic unity is what's in (e.g. after 9/11), then that will be their tack. Telling people what they want to hear is certainly part of it, but they have no inherent interest in division.

2. Constitutional "freedoms" pose little threat to corporate interests. One of the central functions of the legal system as a whole is to guarantee a secure commercial environment for businesses - including corporations - to operate in. And corporations, for the most part, are in a position to exploit the power that comes with commanding shedloads of cash to tilt the law and its application in their favour, e.g. bending environmental regs, limiting liability for what happens to employees, turning public goods into privately-owned assets, avoiding publication of information that might compromise business activity, etc. Hell, Constitutionally-based legal instruments are even used to secure rights of 'personhood' to corporations, even as freedoms are substantively denied to significant swathes of the population.

3. There is not a single corporation in the country that seeks to foment civil war. Corporations seek a stable, predictable, secure commercial environment, prosperous consumers, access to stable, competitively-priced inputs, etc. Most of the time, they seek to smoothly reproduce the staus quo. (Witness how many supported status quo candidate Hillary Clinton last election for just this reason.) They have zero interest in upturning the peaceful, secure status quo to an unpredictable state of conflict that would see consumers' lives thrown into turmoil, and thus their source of effective demand for the services of them and their sponsors plummet. It's kookoo to even indulge this notion.

Open up the windows of your bunker and let the soothing breezes caress your skin.

(I'll ignore the insults and focus on the content in hopes for some rational discussion)

In you are correct, what is the motivation for poking extremist, fanning flames and adding fuel to the fire in an already volatile situation? Profit? That seems short-term and short-sighted.

What would be the motivation for arguing for limitations of free speech? The press has tradionally been the strongest opponent of such a concept as such limitations affect not only society but specifically their chosen career.

[Edited 8/24/17 9:39am]

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #24 posted 08/24/17 9:48am

SanMartin

djThunderfunk said:

In you are correct, what is the motivation for poking extremist, fanning flames and adding fuel to the fire in an already volatile situation? Profit? That seems short-term and short-sighted.

As opposed to the safe, predictable long-term strategy of provoking a civil war?

Reply #25 posted 08/24/17 9:53am

djThunderfunk

SanMartin said:

djThunderfunk said:

As opposed to the safe, predictable long-term strategy of provoking a civil war?

Ok, then why are they provoking unrest?

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #26 posted 08/24/17 9:58am

OnlyNDaUsa

nonsense: just like when some make up the same kind of falsehoods like Republicans do not want people to have affordable health care or that the GOP wanted to shut down the government.

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
Reply #27 posted 08/24/17 10:04am

deebee

djThunderfunk said:

deebee said:

Goofy, paranoid twaddle.

(I'll ignore the insults and focus on the content in hopes for some rational discussion)

What would be the motivation for arguing for limitations of free speech? The press has tradionally been the strongest opponent of such a concept as such limitations affect not only society but specifically their chosen career.

[Edited 8/24/17 9:39am]

Well, corporate profit-seeking is often intensely short-sighted, e.g. unsustainable environmental practices, recklessly doling out 'subprime' loans to borrowers with an insufficient ability to repay them, etc. But it is, nonetheless, the central motive to which all other motives are necesarily subordinated if a corporation is to survive and thrive. I would say that what is being referred to in breathless accounts of "fanning flames" and the like is better described as extensive, attention-grabbing coverage of stories of great interest to the audience in a highly competitive media marketplace, in which successful editorialising can help secure market share.

I can't read the Washington Post article because it's behind a paywall that asks me to either a) unblock ads (thus securing commercial revenue) or b) subscribe (thus securing a different stream of revenue) to the publication - all of which rather supports my central point! lol I guess you're referring to some kind of ban on hate speech or such like. Again, commercial imperatives provide a far more convincing explanation - e.g. garnering the loyalty of a liberal audience that is concerned about and/or opposes such speech, or such like. But the corporations themselves have no inherent interest in biting the legal hand that helps feed them. That's just a recurrent right-wing preoccupation.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin
Reply #28 posted 08/24/17 10:20am

djThunderfunk

deebee said:

Well, corporate profit-seeking is often intensely short-sighted, e.g. unsustainable environmental practices, recklessly doling out 'subprime' loans to borrowers with an insufficient ability to repay them, etc. But it is, nonetheless, the central motive to which all other motives are necesarily subordinated if a corporation is to survive and thrive. I would say that what is being referred to in breathless accounts of "fanning flames" and the like is better described as extensive, attention-grabbing coverage of stories of great interest to the audience in a highly competitive media marketplace, in which successful editorialising can help secure market share.

I can't read the Washington Post article because it's behind a paywall that asks me to either a) unblock ads (thus securing commercial revenue) or b) subscribe (thus securing a different stream of revenue) to the publication - all of which rather supports my central point! lol I guess you're referring to some kind of ban on hate speech or such like. Again, commercial imperatives provide a far more convincing explanation - e.g. garnering the loyalty of a liberal audience that is concerned about and/or opposes such speech, or such like. But the corporations themselves have no inherent interest in biting the legal hand that helps feed them. That's just a recurrent right-wing preoccupation.

Make no mistake, I believe the same thing about conservative media, I just see no reason to give example of them doing it as virtually everyone in these forums already believes that the FOX and the like are deceptively manipluating.

Regardless of whether we agree on motivations, it is clear, MSM is doing everything to divide us and incite the extremists on both ends of the political spectrum and this puts us ALL in danger. To be so against the right doing it while supporting the left doing the same is not rational.

REEFER MADNESS!
Reply #29 posted 08/24/17 10:24am

2elijah

djThunderfunk said:

2elijah said:

The author of that CNN article may have a point. Trump was able to use his con game, to give many of his White supporters their 'Last White Hope', and they bought into it, despite fully knowing he spewed racist and divisive comments, his association with Bannon, his sexist comments, and his long history of insulting non-White Americans. The tactic he used was offering many of his White supporters a 'Whiter America.' Many Whites who hold hidden racist beliefs, but not part of a hate group, bought into his message. [Edited 8/24/17 9:15am]

That's a pretty big stretch to get to everyone who voted for him is a white supremacist by default. I know and have argued with lots of people who voted for him. There were many, many other reasons. Especially for the non-white people who voted for him.

If all conservatives or republicans or anybody on the "right" can be labeled a "white supremacist" in this atmosphere, then many will expand their "punch a nazi" mentality to "punch anyone on the right, after all, they are white supremacists by default".

It's a dangerous, idiotic concept to promote.

You fail to accept that there were many Whites who voted for trump because they fell for his divisive message. Many who supported Trump blame illegal immigrants and new immigrants for their own lack of success/failures. He spoke to the fears of those who fear the browning of America, and to many White Americans who take the 'white flight,' when middle-class Blacks move into predominantly, White communities, but don't air their hidden, racial biases in public. He appealed to some non-Whites, probably based on the illegal immigration issue, yet they too were aware of his racially-divisive message.

Trump's mission was to appeal to White voters, and by focusing on illegal immigration, and a racially-divisive message, he attracted White nationalists, KKK, neo-nazis, White middle-upper class, and poor Whites. The point is, all those supporters were aware of his racially-divisive message, so why did they choose to vote for him anyway? He never made it clear, during the election, that he would be a president for all of the people.

As far as the article you posted, nope, I see no reason to scream... 'civil war!'
[Edited 8/24/17 10:31am]
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > MSM wants civil war