independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 13th Dec 2019 8:53pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Who were the Nephilim?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

QueenofCardboa
rd

Who were the Nephilim?

Who were the Nephilim?

Nephilim

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Nephilim (disambiguation).
195px-Hieronymus_Bosch_-_The_Fall_of_the_Rebel_Angels_%28obverse%29_-_WGA2572.jpg
The Fall of the Rebel Angels by Hieronymus Bosch is based on Genesis 6:1–4

The Nephilim /ˈnɛfᵻˌlɪm/ (Hebrew: נְפִילִים‎) were the offspring of the "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" before the Deluge, according to Genesis 6:4 of the Bible. According to Numbers 13:33, they later inhabited Canaan at the time of the Israelite conquest of Canaan. An either similar or identical biblical Hebrew term, read as "Nephilim" by some scholars, or as the word "fallen" by others, appears in Ezekiel 32:27.[1][2]

The word is loosely translated as giants in some Bibles and left untranslated in others. They are mentioned in two contexts in the Bible.:

• "When people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose. Then the Lord said, 'My spirit shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be one hundred twenty years.' The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown." (Genesis 6:1-4, New Revised Standard Version)

Thus from the above source the nephilim are the "sons" of the union between the "sons of God" who are supposedly fallen angels according to classical Judaic explanations (Targum Jonathan) [1] and the daughters of man descended from Noah.

• "The Lord said to Moses, 'Send men to spy out the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the Israelites' . . . So they went up and spied out the land . . . And they told him: '. . . Yet the people who live in the land are strong, and the towns are fortified and very large; and besides, we saw the descendants of Anak there.' . . . So they brought to the Israelites an unfavorable report of the land that they had spied out, saying, 'The land that we have gone through as spies is a land that devours its inhabitants; and all the people that we saw in it are of great size. 33 There we saw the Nephilim (the Anakites come from the Nephilim); and to ourselves we seemed like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.'" (Numbers 13:1-2; 21; 27-28; 32-33. New Revised Standard Version).

From the above episode in the Book of Numbers it is therefore the spies sent by Moses to scout out the land who give negative and frightening descriptions about the land of Canaan and who provide reports of the nephilim inhabiting the land. From the context of that report it is clear that they assume that their listeners already know about the nephilim whose origins are described in the Book of Genesis.

"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters," Donald Trump
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/02/17 7:47pm

QueenofCardboa
rd

I think that the Nephilim were Neanderthals.

"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters," Donald Trump
Reply #2 posted 04/02/17 8:31pm

riocoolnes

making me dig from my bible major, Like you quoted Targum translates it as a Giant. We know that Og was one of them and he was humongous so most likely not a neanderthal. and Og from atleast the time of Noach to Moshe. They are referred to by 7 different names. The word comes from the Hebrew word to fall because "All who saw them fell in fear" .

i don't have full sources today because i'm not at the library. Good question could maybe bring you so more tomorrow. If your jewish i can all send you even more information as well on this subject.

Reply #3 posted 04/02/17 10:20pm

QueenofCardboa
rd

riocoolnes said:

making me dig from my bible major, Like you quoted Targum translates it as a Giant.

We know that Og was one of them and he was humongous so most likely not a neanderthal.

and Og from atleast the time of Noach to Moshe.

They are referred to by 7 different names.

The word comes from the Hebrew word to fall because "All who saw them fell in fear" .

i don't have full sources today because i'm not at the library.

Good question could maybe bring you so more tomorrow.

If your jewish i can send you even more information as well on this subject.

I am not jewish, but I would love more information.

[Edited 4/2/17 22:21pm]

Reply #4 posted 04/02/17 11:47pm

IanRG

QueenofCardboard said:

I think that the Nephilim were Neanderthals.

Other than what it says in wikipedia and other (generally better but similar articles), I don't know.

However, the time difference between the last Neanderthals (even with some recent movements in this till a lot less time ago than previously thought) and the rise of civilisation makes me think this is not likely.

Reply #5 posted 04/03/17 2:00am

free2bfreeda

from the book of Enoch

: https://en.wikipedia.org/...e_Watchers

The Book of the Watchers

This first section of the Book of Enoch describes the fall of the Watchers, the angels who fathered the Nephilim (cf. the bene Elohim, Genesis 6:1–2) and narrates the travels of Enoch in the heavens. This section is said to have been composed in the 4th or 3rd century BC according to Western scholars

~

also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

and:

BOOK OF ENOCH/THE NEPHILIM GIANTS/CHILDREN OF THE FALLEN ANGELS (GENESIS 6:4)

read here (below the video page ) for further info: https://www.youtube.com/w...vkWZRlXgQE

dove

[Edited 4/3/17 2:07am]

“Transracial is a term that has long since been defined as the adoption of a child that is of a different race than the adoptive parents,” : https://thinkprogress.org...fb6e18544a
Reply #6 posted 04/03/17 7:00am

Graycap23

Aliens.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
Reply #7 posted 04/03/17 11:00am

Beautifulstarr

I wish that I could have a more precise understanding or info on what Nephilims are, but to my belief and understanding, they were angels who has made a human transition, in order to have relations with earthly women.

Reply #8 posted 04/03/17 1:46pm

morningsong

Probably as tall as today's average bballer. People were very short way back when. A six-footer would have been a giant, heck 5'6" probably would have been a giant.

I only say that because of some marvel of a city that was fabled in I think Homer's writings, that was eventually discovered in our more modern times. The city might have been a great wonder for it's time but by today's standard was pretty unimpressive. Got to remember the times this stuff was written in.

Reply #9 posted 04/03/17 9:47pm

QueenofCardboa
rd

Maybe they were Nordic.

New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Who were the Nephilim?