independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 13th Dec 2019 9:13pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Italy wants to ban ethnic foods!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

2freaky4church

Italy wants to ban ethnic foods!

This was shocking, but proof that Europe is slowly becoming quite racist:

http://www.timesonline.co...622156.ece

Yea, I doubt they will try to ban McDonalds. This is mostly about punishing Muslim restaurants who want to make a living in Italy. Berlesconi is a creep.
All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/02/09 9:13am

Mach

hmm
Reply #2 posted 02/02/09 9:23am

2freaky4church

Mach, are you sick? lol
Reply #3 posted 02/02/09 9:24am

IrresistibleB1
tch

it seems to be isolated at this point, but just the mindset is disturbing to me. food is one thing that can bring regions and nationalities together.
Reply #4 posted 02/02/09 9:33am

Mach

2freaky4church1 said:

Mach, are you sick? lol

lol

Naaa

just stalling my departure from my long weekend vacation - gotta hit the road now for the 3.5 hr drive home biggrin
Reply #5 posted 02/02/09 10:07am

2elijah

That is so ridiculous.
Reply #6 posted 02/02/09 11:07am

Annika

2freaky4church1 said:

Yea, I doubt they will try to ban McDonalds. This is mostly about punishing Muslim restaurants who want to make a living in Italy. Berlesconi is a creep.

Italy being racist is proof that Europe is becoming racist? We are not one nation, you know. Italy has always been racist, it doesn't mean anything about the rest of Europe. Individual countries can do whatever they choose without it proving anything about other individual countries.

In short: Italy =/= Europe
Reply #7 posted 02/02/09 12:50pm

2freaky4church

Yea, but did you elect a black President? lol
Reply #8 posted 02/02/09 12:56pm

Annika

2freaky4church1 said:

Yea, but did you elect a black President? lol

rolleyes

Did you elect a female president?
Reply #9 posted 02/02/09 12:59pm

2freaky4church

You know we run the world..lol
Reply #10 posted 02/02/09 1:06pm

Annika

2freaky4church1 said:

You know we run the world..lol

TBH, I'm not too worried about that. I live in Belgium, and the last 18 months or so have proven that nobody can run Belgium (not even the Belgians).

razz
Reply #11 posted 02/02/09 1:23pm

purplehippieon
the1

Annika said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Italy being racist is proof that Europe is becoming racist? We are not one nation, you know. Italy has always been racist, it doesn't mean anything about the rest of Europe. Individual countries can do whatever they choose without it proving anything about other individual countries.

In short: Italy =/= Europe

Exactly. There is no such thing as Europe- the nation, although some people seem to want a United States of Europe by increasing the supranationalistic power of the European Union.
Not all countries in Europe are even part of the EU... my country (Iceland) isn't, yet some non-Europeans refer to "Europe" when they really are talking either about the EU, or simply mainland European countries. The popularity of xenophobic or racist opinions vary greatly country-by-country in Europe. The same could be said about homophobia.
Now the biggest story in the European and American media about the recent change of government here is that the new prime minister is a lesbian. The fact that Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir is gay is such a non-issue over here, so while I can't comment on whether Icelanders are generally racist, I would say that we certainly aren't homophobic in general.
As for racism, or even "food-racism", not even the most xenophobic politician here has ever suggested closing down Thai restaurants or kebab shops in Reykjavík.
Of course everyone here encourages that we use local agriculture products, especially since the exchange rate of our currency is still unfavourable, although it has improved in the last month or so.
Italy uses the euro which has fared better than some other European currencies, like the British pound, so maybe it's still affordable for them to outsource meat products and vegetables used in restaurants and diners...
but like the article points out, trying to preserve only "Italian" restaurants and banning "ethnic" food is silly, especially since many of the key ingredients in Italian food were originally imported from other countries (spaghetti for instance)...
[Edited 2/2/09 13:24pm]
Reply #12 posted 02/02/09 1:36pm

wildgoldenhone
y

neutral
Reply #13 posted 02/02/09 1:43pm

KoolEaze

To say that Italians are racist is a very broad generalization and not even true, there are racist people in every country.
Some people who sent e-mails to that Times website say that the ban is only supposed to keep the number of certain restaurants in a certain part of Lucca under control, which is totally understandable in context since a lot of businesses obviously don´t really fit into that part of town in an aesthetic sense.

It´s actually quite ironic... Italian food is becoming more and more popular in Asian and Muslim countries, Italians open more and more restaurants there and people in China, Turkey and Japan are curious about Italian food, and on the other hand you have more and more sushi, döner kebap and Chinese food joints opening in Italy and other European countries.

Sure, there are racists in Italy but I totally disagree about Italians being racist in general.Prove me wrong.
" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"

http://kooleasehvac.com/
Reply #14 posted 02/02/09 2:18pm

PANDURITO

Talk about manipulation neutral
Reply #15 posted 02/02/09 2:27pm

PANDURITO

Lucca's origins are more than 2000 years old. Where were you then?

It IS a traditional OLD city and they're just talking about banning non- traditional commerces only downtown, in the historical centre, not elsewhere in the city.

Does that mean Italy or Italians are racist? shrug
Reply #16 posted 02/02/09 2:45pm

KoolEaze

PANDURITO said:

It IS a traditional OLD city and they're just talking about banning non- traditional commerces only downtown, in the historical centre, not elsewhere in the city.

See, that´s exactly what I´m talking about. Things are totally taken out of context, and on top of that some rightwingers in the north seem to jump on the bandwaggon.
" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"

Reply #17 posted 02/03/09 8:18am

2freaky4church

Berlesconi supports it and he's the head guy.
Reply #18 posted 02/05/09 10:57am

applekisses

KoolEaze said:

To say that Italians are racist is a very broad generalization and not even true, there are racist people in every country.
Some people who sent e-mails to that Times website say that the ban is only supposed to keep the number of certain restaurants in a certain part of Lucca under control, which is totally understandable in context since a lot of businesses obviously don´t really fit into that part of town in an aesthetic sense.

It´s actually quite ironic... Italian food is becoming more and more popular in Asian and Muslim countries, Italians open more and more restaurants there and people in China, Turkey and Japan are curious about Italian food, and on the other hand you have more and more sushi, döner kebap and Chinese food joints opening in Italy and other European countries.

Sure, there are racists in Italy but I totally disagree about Italians being racist in general.Prove me wrong.

I love you, Eyup. hug
Reply #19 posted 02/05/09 3:40pm

KoolEaze

applekisses said:

KoolEaze said:

I love you, Eyup. hug

lol
I love you, too, Andrea ( and you know it).
touched hug

Reply #20 posted 02/05/09 5:01pm

GermanHottie19

Why is your avatar flag upside down?
18 August 2007, O2 Arena, London
5 July 2010, Waldbühne, Berlin
Reply #21 posted 02/05/09 6:24pm

PurpleKnight

PANDURITO said:

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with this. The OP posted this information entirely out of context, and that really just amounts to propaganda.
The world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

"You still wanna take me to prison...just because I won't trade humanity for patriotism."
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Italy wants to ban ethnic foods!