independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 15th Sep 2019 11:12pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Fitness thread
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/21/19 2:52am

maplenpg

avatar

Fitness thread

So I can't remember the last Rodeo fitness thread, and I've missed them, so I've taken the decision to create one.

This year, for the first time in my entire life, I've joined a gym. I've been going for just over 2 months now, 4 times a week. I did want to use the weight machines, but I just didn't feel confident on the machines, so my routine (which I quite enjoy) is as follows:

Training day 1: 20 floors on Stairmaster, 10 minutes mountain hike on the airwalker, 10 minutes on the rower, 15 mins on the bike, 20 mins on the treadmill.


Training day 2: Spin class - 45 mins


Training day 3: HIIT circuits - 45 mins. PT led with strength and cardio mix. This is the toughest one of the week without question, but also one of the most fun.

Training day 4: Bodypump - 60 mins. Weights with music class.


I'm quite proud of my little self. I'm as fit now as I was 20 years ago, and I've had 3 kids, piled the weight on, and lost it again since then.

What's everyone else doing?


If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/21/19 5:37am

uPtoWnNY

Still doing my own version of Dr. Layne Norton's PHAT routine.

Mon. - Heavy upper body (chest, shoulders, arms, upper back)

Tues. - Heavy lower body (legs, lower back)

Wed. - Light chest & arms

Fri, - Light shoulders, back & legs

Thurs, Sat. & Sun. - off days

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/21/19 9:00am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Thanks for doing this!

It sounds like you and uPtoWnNY are really hitting it hard. Awesome!

I've been doing quite well so far this summer. In addition to the usual push-ups, bench presses, curls and shoulder stuff, I've added squats. Yuck! I hate them! But they are a really good exercise and they didn't hurt my back as much as I thought, so I've kept them up. It takes a few (OK, more than a few) reps for my knees to get warmed up enough to get down as far I should, but at least I'm doing them with 45-pound plates on each side. Soon I think I'll be in a position to really start adding weight.

My leg goal is to get my legs 35% as strong as uPtoWnNY's!

We're about to make some major changes in our lives (all for the better!) and one thing that's going to change is my job. And due to the way it's going to change, I should have more latitude in gym hours which should mean MORE gym hours.

I sure hope so!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/21/19 9:21am

uPtoWnNY

RodeoSchro said:

Thanks for doing this!

It sounds like you and uPtoWnNY are really hitting it hard. Awesome!

I've been doing quite well so far this summer. In addition to the usual push-ups, bench presses, curls and shoulder stuff, I've added squats. Yuck! I hate them! But they are a really good exercise and they didn't hurt my back as much as I thought, so I've kept them up. It takes a few (OK, more than a few) reps for my knees to get warmed up enough to get down as far I should, but at least I'm doing them with 45-pound plates on each side. Soon I think I'll be in a position to really start adding weight.

My leg goal is to get my legs 35% as strong as uPtoWnNY's!

We're about to make some major changes in our lives (all for the better!) and one thing that's going to change is my job. And due to the way it's going to change, I should have more latitude in gym hours which should mean MORE gym hours.

I sure hope so!

I can't go max heavy on squats (or deadlifts) anymore or my lower back will flare up. I could squat 400 up until my late 40s-early 50s, then I started having back issues. Certain routines you have to change as you get older. Leg press I had to cut down to 6 or 7 45lb plates on each side. Same with weighted chin-ups & dips.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/21/19 9:42am

maplenpg

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

Still doing my own version of Dr. Layne Norton's PHAT routine.

Mon. - Heavy upper body (chest, shoulders, arms, upper back)

Tues. - Heavy lower body (legs, lower back)

Wed. - Light chest & arms

Fri, - Light shoulders, back & legs

Thurs, Sat. & Sun. - off days

Awesome! I'm going to have to look up Dr Layne Norton's PHAT routine.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/21/19 9:50am

maplenpg

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

Thanks for doing this!

It sounds like you and uPtoWnNY are really hitting it hard. Awesome!

I've been doing quite well so far this summer. In addition to the usual push-ups, bench presses, curls and shoulder stuff, I've added squats. Yuck! I hate them! But they are a really good exercise and they didn't hurt my back as much as I thought, so I've kept them up. It takes a few (OK, more than a few) reps for my knees to get warmed up enough to get down as far I should, but at least I'm doing them with 45-pound plates on each side. Soon I think I'll be in a position to really start adding weight.

My leg goal is to get my legs 35% as strong as uPtoWnNY's!

We're about to make some major changes in our lives (all for the better!) and one thing that's going to change is my job. And due to the way it's going to change, I should have more latitude in gym hours which should mean MORE gym hours.

I sure hope so!

LOL. The image I now have of Uptown's legs - Tree trunks!

I love squats - though I just use light weights. They're a really great exercise to get results. I'm getting much better at push-ups - I could barely do them a few weeks ago. Can't do pull-ups or bench presses yet though (sadly the weights area is male-dominated at the gym I go to which scares me off a bit).

Good luck with the changes. I made major changes in Jan 18 and, apart from being much worse off financially, I can honestly say my life, my health, and my marriage have all benefited massively.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/21/19 10:04am

uPtoWnNY

maplenpg said:

uPtoWnNY said:

Still doing my own version of Dr. Layne Norton's PHAT routine.

Mon. - Heavy upper body (chest, shoulders, arms, upper back)

Tues. - Heavy lower body (legs, lower back)

Wed. - Light chest & arms

Fri, - Light shoulders, back & legs

Thurs, Sat. & Sun. - off days

Awesome! I'm going to have to look up Dr Layne Norton's PHAT routine.

I highly recommend everyone check out Dr. Norton's youtube vids on fitness and nutrition. He goes into the whole science of it - great stuff. It'll take your workouts to another level, believe me.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/21/19 10:29am

S2DG

Try to ride 7.5 miles with hills on bicycle a few times a week.

Recently added push-ups and squats to the mix but I do it at a park - no gym equipment.

I need to step it up to 5 or 6 times a week.

It's amazing what it does to my mood and general mental health.

Thanks for the tip on Dr Norton!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/21/19 11:39am

RodeoSchro

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

RodeoSchro said:

Thanks for doing this!

It sounds like you and uPtoWnNY are really hitting it hard. Awesome!

I've been doing quite well so far this summer. In addition to the usual push-ups, bench presses, curls and shoulder stuff, I've added squats. Yuck! I hate them! But they are a really good exercise and they didn't hurt my back as much as I thought, so I've kept them up. It takes a few (OK, more than a few) reps for my knees to get warmed up enough to get down as far I should, but at least I'm doing them with 45-pound plates on each side. Soon I think I'll be in a position to really start adding weight.

My leg goal is to get my legs 35% as strong as uPtoWnNY's!

We're about to make some major changes in our lives (all for the better!) and one thing that's going to change is my job. And due to the way it's going to change, I should have more latitude in gym hours which should mean MORE gym hours.

I sure hope so!

I can't go max heavy on squats (or deadlifts) anymore or my lower back will flare up. I could squat 400 up until my late 40s-early 50s, then I started having back issues. Certain routines you have to change as you get older. Leg press I had to cut down to 6 or 7 45lb plates on each side. Same with weighted chin-ups & dips.



400 x 35% = 140

45 x 3 = 135

I only have 5 pounds to go on squats, LOL!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/22/19 7:07am

gandorb

I'm all for this thread, so thanks. I joined a gym for the first time in March, and have really benefited. My surprise is how great aquatic boot camp is, as it is great for muscle toning, core work, aerobic, calorie burning, and stretching all at the same time without hurting your body in the least.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/22/19 2:22pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

I did a little fitness test the other day. I wanted to see how high I could jump.

Back in the day, I could dunk a basketball. At 6' 1", that's pretty good! Sadly, that was my only real basketball skill so my career ended in high school.

But still - I had a 32" or so vertical leap. What is it now that I'm 60?

Well, it's about 15"! That doesn't sound like much but if you ever need someone to touch something that's about 9 feet 3 inches off the floor, I'm your man!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/23/19 12:34am

maplenpg

avatar

S2DG said:

Try to ride 7.5 miles with hills on bicycle a few times a week.

Recently added push-ups and squats to the mix but I do it at a park - no gym equipment.

I need to step it up to 5 or 6 times a week.

It's amazing what it does to my mood and general mental health.

Thanks for the tip on Dr Norton!

Awesome! I'd love to be able to ride more, but I live in the middle of nowhere and there are steep hills all around, so it's a workout to even think about it! My nearest shop is around 5 miles away so a round trip on a bike would be a great idea but for the hills (good for you for including them).

I 100% agree about mental health and mood. I believe that I was in a very dark place when I was stressed, fat and unfit. Since quitting my job, losing weight and getting fit, I'm a different person in many respects. I never want to go to that place again in my life. Ever.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/23/19 12:36am

maplenpg

avatar

gandorb said:

I'm all for this thread, so thanks. I joined a gym for the first time in March, and have really benefited. My surprise is how great aquatic boot camp is, as it is great for muscle toning, core work, aerobic, calorie burning, and stretching all at the same time without hurting your body in the least.

Excellent. Aquatic boot camp sounds awesome - we don't have anything like that by us. Just army boot camp, which I've heard so many horror stories about that I think I need to have visited the gym a lot longer before I dare to even consider it!

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/23/19 12:38am

maplenpg

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

I did a little fitness test the other day. I wanted to see how high I could jump.

Back in the day, I could dunk a basketball. At 6' 1", that's pretty good! Sadly, that was my only real basketball skill so my career ended in high school.

But still - I had a 32" or so vertical leap. What is it now that I'm 60?

Well, it's about 15"! That doesn't sound like much but if you ever need someone to touch something that's about 9 feet 3 inches off the floor, I'm your man!

That's pretty impressive! We do box jumps in one of the classes and I can only do the smallest one!

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/23/19 2:15am

TheFman

I stopped doing whatever exercise about 6-7 years ago. Not that I don't want to, it's just no fun anymore since I'm not living alone anymore. Can't blast music, can't do this, can't do that, without regarding others. So I rather just don't and be fatty lol
(i have the devices to train at home, i dont go training in a specialized studio anymore since i can do it home as well. Or rather could...)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/23/19 5:50am

RodeoSchro

avatar

TheFman said:

I stopped doing whatever exercise about 6-7 years ago. Not that I don't want to, it's just no fun anymore since I'm not living alone anymore. Can't blast music, can't do this, can't do that, without regarding others. So I rather just don't and be fatty lol
(i have the devices to train at home, i dont go training in a specialized studio anymore since i can do it home as well. Or rather could...)



F that, Fman!

Blast your music through headphones. That's what everyone does in the gym.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/23/19 6:51am

TheFman

RodeoSchro said:

TheFman said:

I stopped doing whatever exercise about 6-7 years ago. Not that I don't want to, it's just no fun anymore since I'm not living alone anymore. Can't blast music, can't do this, can't do that, without regarding others. So I rather just don't and be fatty lol
(i have the devices to train at home, i dont go training in a specialized studio anymore since i can do it home as well. Or rather could...)



F that, Fman!

Blast your music through headphones. That's what everyone does in the gym.

well that doesn't stop my signing along lol

no, no earphones for me when standing a few metres from a high-fi music installation! And yes my signing is even worse for them than the music itself mad

[Edited 7/23/19 6:53am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/23/19 7:59am

RodeoSchro

avatar

TheFman said:

RodeoSchro said:



F that, Fman!

Blast your music through headphones. That's what everyone does in the gym.

well that doesn't stop my signing along lol

no, no earphones for me when standing a few metres from a high-fi music installation! And yes my signing is even worse for them than the music itself mad

[Edited 7/23/19 6:53am]



falloff You do you, man. I mean, your roommates HAVE to Prince fans, right?

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/24/19 1:17am

DaveT

avatar

Stopped using communal public gyms years ago ... can't be doing with the posers, the people that don't wipe down machines. the people hogging the gear and not using it properly, etc.

We only have a small house but I've managed to get all the gear I want in to our garage ... its amazing what you can pick up cheap online. No more travelling to the gym, no more frustrations from other people, the music I want on ... heaven! biggrin

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/24/19 1:22am

DaveT

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

I did a little fitness test the other day. I wanted to see how high I could jump.

Back in the day, I could dunk a basketball. At 6' 1", that's pretty good! Sadly, that was my only real basketball skill so my career ended in high school.

But still - I had a 32" or so vertical leap. What is it now that I'm 60?

Well, it's about 15"! That doesn't sound like much but if you ever need someone to touch something that's about 9 feet 3 inches off the floor, I'm your man!


Coming from someone in the UK whose 5ft11 and was a big basketball fan growing up, my dream was to be able to dunk a basketball ... I mean literally, I'd have dreams about playing basketball during PE classes at school and suddenly dunking and my friends being blown away! Alas I could only just about reach the bottom of the net sad lol

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/24/19 1:31am

maplenpg

avatar

TheFman said:

RodeoSchro said:



F that, Fman!

Blast your music through headphones. That's what everyone does in the gym.

well that doesn't stop my signing along lol

no, no earphones for me when standing a few metres from a high-fi music installation! And yes my signing is even worse for them than the music itself mad

[Edited 7/23/19 6:53am]

I feel ya. We have a treadmill at home and, even if I use headphones, everyone moans about the thudding noise it makes. I wait until everyone is out.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/24/19 1:35am

maplenpg

avatar

DaveT said:

Stopped using communal public gyms years ago ... can't be doing with the posers, the people that don't wipe down machines. the people hogging the gear and not using it properly, etc.

We only have a small house but I've managed to get all the gear I want in to our garage ... its amazing what you can pick up cheap online. No more travelling to the gym, no more frustrations from other people, the music I want on ... heaven! biggrin

Which is brill if you have a garage!

On a serious note, all the things about communal gyms that you list is what put me off for years (though I am probably one of the people not using equipment properly). However, after joining I've found it's not so bad. I think some of it is the time I go as I go during work hours, and I avoid the weights area, but I have to say I've loved the communal gym so far. It's a huge gym in a small town though so I'm very lucky in that respect - It never feels cramped or busy.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/24/19 6:47am

DaveT

avatar

maplenpg said:

DaveT said:

Stopped using communal public gyms years ago ... can't be doing with the posers, the people that don't wipe down machines. the people hogging the gear and not using it properly, etc.

We only have a small house but I've managed to get all the gear I want in to our garage ... its amazing what you can pick up cheap online. No more travelling to the gym, no more frustrations from other people, the music I want on ... heaven! biggrin

Which is brill if you have a garage!

On a serious note, all the things about communal gyms that you list is what put me off for years (though I am probably one of the people not using equipment properly). However, after joining I've found it's not so bad. I think some of it is the time I go as I go during work hours, and I avoid the weights area, but I have to say I've loved the communal gym so far. It's a huge gym in a small town though so I'm very lucky in that respect - It never feels cramped or busy.


Yeah, you've got to have the space, but I was surprised how much we were able to squeeze in to our little garage.

I've done the communal gym before ... I enjoyed it when I was at uni because I could go during the day and it was relatively quiet. Once I started work I became another one of the evening crowd.

It would get so busy, but you'd still see the gym staff showing round prospective new members. There were times when I'd give up on my workouts because I just couldn't get on the machines I wanted ... that's when it became an actual waste of money so I jacked it in.

The weights areas can be intimidating but that's what I mainly used the gym for ... you just have to brave it and get in there. I was lucky when I was younger as my sister use to go to the hardcore bodybuilding gym in town just to use the CV equipment. I'd go with her and sneak in to the weights area. I was a bit of a Schwarzenegger fan so it was a buzz to be in with the power lifters and body builders. I was a skinny 14 year old but everyone there was welcoming and showed me what to do. In fact that place was way more friendly than any of the other gyms I've been to with "regular" gym goers.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/24/19 7:21am

RodeoSchro

avatar

maplenpg said:

DaveT said:

Stopped using communal public gyms years ago ... can't be doing with the posers, the people that don't wipe down machines. the people hogging the gear and not using it properly, etc.

We only have a small house but I've managed to get all the gear I want in to our garage ... its amazing what you can pick up cheap online. No more travelling to the gym, no more frustrations from other people, the music I want on ... heaven! biggrin

Which is brill if you have a garage!

On a serious note, all the things about communal gyms that you list is what put me off for years (though I am probably one of the people not using equipment properly). However, after joining I've found it's not so bad. I think some of it is the time I go as I go during work hours, and I avoid the weights area, but I have to say I've loved the communal gym so far. It's a huge gym in a small town though so I'm very lucky in that respect - It never feels cramped or busy.



I was a member of a great gym for about 25 years. I loved going to it, seeing all my friends (most of who were my age or older), and it had all my favorite machines. Everyone was cool; no one sweated up machines without wiping them down; the showers were clean; people were hygenic.

Then we moved across town.

Now I am a member of a gym in the office complex where we work. In order to be a member, you have to work in the complex. This means in theory that all the members are trained, educated professionals.

PROFESSIONALS WHO BLOW THEIR NOSES AND SPIT IN THE SHOWER!

It is UNBELIEVABLE. These people seem to think that just because each shower is a separate stall with a door, they can do whatever they want in there. It's just as gross as all get-out.

I've complained to the gym manager and told him they need to put a sign in each shower stall that says "NO SPITTING, NO NOSE BLOWING, AND NO PEEING OR JACKING OFF BECAUSE YOU'RE PROBABLY DOING THAT TOO".

I don't see myself being a member there much longer.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/24/19 7:22am

RodeoSchro

avatar

DaveT said:

maplenpg said:

Which is brill if you have a garage!

On a serious note, all the things about communal gyms that you list is what put me off for years (though I am probably one of the people not using equipment properly). However, after joining I've found it's not so bad. I think some of it is the time I go as I go during work hours, and I avoid the weights area, but I have to say I've loved the communal gym so far. It's a huge gym in a small town though so I'm very lucky in that respect - It never feels cramped or busy.


Yeah, you've got to have the space, but I was surprised how much we were able to squeeze in to our little garage.

I've done the communal gym before ... I enjoyed it when I was at uni because I could go during the day and it was relatively quiet. Once I started work I became another one of the evening crowd.

It would get so busy, but you'd still see the gym staff showing round prospective new members. There were times when I'd give up on my workouts because I just couldn't get on the machines I wanted ... that's when it became an actual waste of money so I jacked it in.

The weights areas can be intimidating but that's what I mainly used the gym for ... you just have to brave it and get in there. I was lucky when I was younger as my sister use to go to the hardcore bodybuilding gym in town just to use the CV equipment. I'd go with her and sneak in to the weights area. I was a bit of a Schwarzenegger fan so it was a buzz to be in with the power lifters and body builders. I was a skinny 14 year old but everyone there was welcoming and showed me what to do. In fact that place was way more friendly than any of the other gyms I've been to with "regular" gym goers.



Serious bodybuilders are THE BEST GYM MEMBERS you can have!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/24/19 8:30am

DaveT

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

DaveT said:


Yeah, you've got to have the space, but I was surprised how much we were able to squeeze in to our little garage.

I've done the communal gym before ... I enjoyed it when I was at uni because I could go during the day and it was relatively quiet. Once I started work I became another one of the evening crowd.

It would get so busy, but you'd still see the gym staff showing round prospective new members. There were times when I'd give up on my workouts because I just couldn't get on the machines I wanted ... that's when it became an actual waste of money so I jacked it in.

The weights areas can be intimidating but that's what I mainly used the gym for ... you just have to brave it and get in there. I was lucky when I was younger as my sister use to go to the hardcore bodybuilding gym in town just to use the CV equipment. I'd go with her and sneak in to the weights area. I was a bit of a Schwarzenegger fan so it was a buzz to be in with the power lifters and body builders. I was a skinny 14 year old but everyone there was welcoming and showed me what to do. In fact that place was way more friendly than any of the other gyms I've been to with "regular" gym goers.



Serious bodybuilders are THE BEST GYM MEMBERS you can have!


I think you're right. Obviously you'll get the odd bad apple in any group, but on the whole I think because bodybuilders are professional about what they do, they respect gym etiquette and they respect people who are new and starting out.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/24/19 9:54am

maplenpg

avatar

DaveT said:

RodeoSchro said:



Serious bodybuilders are THE BEST GYM MEMBERS you can have!


I think you're right. Obviously you'll get the odd bad apple in any group, but on the whole I think because bodybuilders are professional about what they do, they respect gym etiquette and they respect people who are new and starting out.

Maybe I should just pluck up the courage and just, you know talk to some of them, ask them some advice. Trouble is the weights area is a scary place for a short forty something female who is still newish to the gym environment.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/24/19 9:56am

maplenpg

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

maplenpg said:

Which is brill if you have a garage!

On a serious note, all the things about communal gyms that you list is what put me off for years (though I am probably one of the people not using equipment properly). However, after joining I've found it's not so bad. I think some of it is the time I go as I go during work hours, and I avoid the weights area, but I have to say I've loved the communal gym so far. It's a huge gym in a small town though so I'm very lucky in that respect - It never feels cramped or busy.



I was a member of a great gym for about 25 years. I loved going to it, seeing all my friends (most of who were my age or older), and it had all my favorite machines. Everyone was cool; no one sweated up machines without wiping them down; the showers were clean; people were hygenic.

Then we moved across town.

Now I am a member of a gym in the office complex where we work. In order to be a member, you have to work in the complex. This means in theory that all the members are trained, educated professionals.

PROFESSIONALS WHO BLOW THEIR NOSES AND SPIT IN THE SHOWER!

It is UNBELIEVABLE. These people seem to think that just because each shower is a separate stall with a door, they can do whatever they want in there. It's just as gross as all get-out.

I've complained to the gym manager and told him they need to put a sign in each shower stall that says "NO SPITTING, NO NOSE BLOWING, AND NO PEEING OR JACKING OFF BECAUSE YOU'RE PROBABLY DOING THAT TOO".

I don't see myself being a member there much longer.

Ew! Sounds gross!

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/24/19 1:06pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

maplenpg said:

DaveT said:


I think you're right. Obviously you'll get the odd bad apple in any group, but on the whole I think because bodybuilders are professional about what they do, they respect gym etiquette and they respect people who are new and starting out.

Maybe I should just pluck up the courage and just, you know talk to some of them, ask them some advice. Trouble is the weights area is a scary place for a short forty something female who is still newish to the gym environment.



I think you should!

I was in the same position when I first started lifting and I thought everyone would laugh at my scrawny ass. But quite the opposite - everyone was helpful and really excited someone wanted to embark on a serious fitness journey.

Musicians are the same way. I've never played anywhere that other musicians weren't anything but helpful.

You know who else are the same way? Rodeo cowboys. I've been down in the chutes many times, especially during bull riding, and all the other cowboys tell everything they know to the next rider about the bull he'll be riding.

Honestly, I think people in general are nice. Except for the snot-blowers in my gym. THEY ARE NOT NICE.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/29/19 2:24am

DaveT

avatar

maplenpg said:

DaveT said:


I think you're right. Obviously you'll get the odd bad apple in any group, but on the whole I think because bodybuilders are professional about what they do, they respect gym etiquette and they respect people who are new and starting out.

Maybe I should just pluck up the courage and just, you know talk to some of them, ask them some advice. Trouble is the weights area is a scary place for a short forty something female who is still newish to the gym environment.


Go for it, I think you'll be surprised. In the past I've had the odd person ask me about the machines and weights I've been using, and I've always been more than happy to help and show them what they need to be doing.

Just have a quiet word with someone when they're resting between sets, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Fitness thread