independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Oct 2019 1:35am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Rate the last movie you saw.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/14/19 11:09am

jfenster

St Agatha............4/5 stars..for fans of the SAW movies.............if they made a movie of the

REAL st agatha it would be awesome

[Edited 7/14/19 11:12am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/15/19 6:17am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Stuber 6.5/10

it was fun. Typical action/comedy/cop movie. A lot better than critics made it out to be.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/15/19 8:04am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Stuber 6.5/10

it was fun. Typical action/comedy/cop movie. A lot better than critics made it out to be.



Great news! I'm trying to carve out some time this week and go see it.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/15/19 8:31am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

RodeoSchro said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


Stuber 6.5/10



it was fun. Typical action/comedy/cop movie. A lot better than critics made it out to be.





Great news! I'm trying to carve out some time this week and go see it.



Remember 6.5 is not a glowing review but i thought it was fun. I was originally going to go and see Crawl but we were running late.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/15/19 8:51am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

RodeoSchro said:



Great news! I'm trying to carve out some time this week and go see it.

Remember 6.5 is not a glowing review but i thought it was fun. I was originally going to go and see Crawl but we were running late.



I only care about "fun". I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay past any motivation to see a movie that hits anywhere other than my funny bone/carnage portion of my brain.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/15/19 1:49pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

THIRTY-ONE YEARS AGO TODAY, THE SECOND-BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE OF ALL TIME WAS RELEASED:

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/15/19 2:22pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

THIRTY-ONE YEARS AGO TODAY, THE SECOND-BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE OF ALL TIME WAS



RELEASED:


Such a good popcorn movie. After seeing it again recently I wanted to read the original script to see if things were ad-libbed or if the director took much creative license in directing the movie, and it reads pretty much the same exact way. The scene and shot descriptions are all there on paper.

everything about this movie is pitch perfect.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/16/19 11:27am

sexton

avatar



Us (2019) - A family's serene beach vacation turns to chaos when their doppelgängers appear and begin to terrorize them.

Despite the far-fetched premise, it was a pretty good--and clever--horror film. 3.5/5

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/16/19 11:31am

namepeace

The Boy and The Beast (2015)

Quite literally, a fantastic, visually stunning animated film from Mamoru Hosoda, with quite a sense of humor and a lot of heart.

starstarstar.5

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/16/19 3:17pm

damosuzuki

the standoff at sparrow creek (2019) 3/5 members of a militia try to work out which one of them went on a murderous rampage. pretty good no budget 'who's the killer' mystery. i picked up the scent of fromage every now & then - a line felt a little wooden, a performance felt a little hammy here & there - but still a good story told pretty effectively.

jeanne dielman, 23, quai du commerce 1080 bruxelles (1975) 4/5 "A lonely widowed housewife does her daily chores, takes care of her apartment where she lives with her teenage son, and turns the occasional trick to make ends meet. Slowly, her ritualized daily routines begin to fall apart."


jeanne dielman is 201 minutes long. a lot of that running time shows jeanne going through her routine life. there's a 3 minute 35 second continuous shot (i used the stopwatch on my phone) of her kneading onions & flour into ground beef for example.

it's not so much a movie as it is a challenge, i suppose. i'd compare it to a long distance run more than any other film i've seen, in that it can feel like an endurance test, but also can induce you into something like a hypnotic state.

honestly, i've been more bored by 75 minute no budget slasher films than i was by this woman making meat loaf.

wrestle (2019) 3.5/5 documentary on 4 kids trying to qualify for state wrestling championship. this year's minding the gap, maybe. not as good, but still pushes many of the same emotional buttons - sadness & hope & worry for their future. a bit messy in the early going, but has a very powerful ending.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 07/16/19 4:31pm

sexton

avatar

damosuzuki said:

jeanne dielman, 23, quai du commerce 1080 bruxelles (1975) 4/5 "A lonely widowed housewife does her daily chores, takes care of her apartment where she lives with her teenage son, and turns the occasional trick to make ends meet. Slowly, her ritualized daily routines begin to fall apart."


jeanne dielman is 201 minutes long. a lot of that running time shows jeanne going through her routine life. there's a 3 minute 35 second continuous shot (i used the stopwatch on my phone) of her kneading onions & flour into ground beef for example.

it's not so much a movie as it is a challenge, i suppose. i'd compare it to a long distance run more than any other film i've seen, in that it can feel like an endurance test, but also can induce you into something like a hypnotic state.

honestly, i've been more bored by 75 minute no budget slasher films than i was by this woman making meat loaf.



When I saw this movie for the first time at the Film Forum awhile back, the experience reminded me of when I watched your not favorite movie, The Loneliest Planet where for me, the tension of knowing something big was going to happen while nothing was happening for a very long time was very effective.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 07/16/19 5:33pm

damosuzuki

sexton said:

damosuzuki said:

jeanne dielman, 23, quai du commerce 1080 bruxelles (1975) 4/5 "A lonely widowed housewife does her daily chores, takes care of her apartment where she lives with her teenage son, and turns the occasional trick to make ends meet. Slowly, her ritualized daily routines begin to fall apart."


jeanne dielman is 201 minutes long. a lot of that running time shows jeanne going through her routine life. there's a 3 minute 35 second continuous shot (i used the stopwatch on my phone) of her kneading onions & flour into ground beef for example.

it's not so much a movie as it is a challenge, i suppose. i'd compare it to a long distance run more than any other film i've seen, in that it can feel like an endurance test, but also can induce you into something like a hypnotic state.

honestly, i've been more bored by 75 minute no budget slasher films than i was by this woman making meat loaf.



When I saw this movie for the first time at the Film Forum awhile back, the experience reminded me of when I watched your not favorite movie, The Loneliest Planet where for me, the tension of knowing something big was going to happen while nothing was happening for a very long time was very effective.

that actually strikes me as a very clever & apt comparison, and for a second it almost made me think 'i ought to give that movie another honest chance.'

fleeting thought, because nothing will ever make me watch the lonelies planet ever again!
but i completely see where you're coming from

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 07/17/19 11:15pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) Entertaining adventure with a a lot of heart, a great cast, it was funny with heaps of action and easter eggs to boot. I give this a 4.5 out of 5 popcorn

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 07/18/19 8:29am

RJOrion

The Upside - 9/10

im not even a Kevin Hart fan, but this movie is surprisingly good...very good...not nearly as much clowning and coonery from Hart as he attempts to take on a slightly more dramatic role...
[Edited 7/18/19 8:31am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 07/18/19 10:31am

namepeace

RodeoSchro said:

THIRTY-ONE YEARS AGO TODAY, THE SECOND-BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE OF ALL TIME WAS RELEASED:

The debate over whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie -- even though it was released in the dead of summer -- will also die hard.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 07/18/19 12:41pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Do you want to get RICH? I mean REALLY RICH? Then read on!

Yesterday afternoon my son and I avoided some menial tasks by going to see "Stuber". We went to the 5:15 PM showing, but I had to drop my Favorite Mother-In-Law off at her favorite bar at 4 and wouldn't you know it? Lots of my friends were there, so I had a couple glasses of High Quality Pinot Noir.

Properly prepared, I then met my son at the movie theater (and, of course, some Movie Theater Quality Pinot Noir). He and I joined at least one other patron for the showing of this film. The previews began.

Here's where you learn to get RICH!

All you have to do is write a classic rock song that starts off with one instrument!

EVERY SINGLE PREVIEW used a song like that somewhere in its preview. Most of them were Rolling Stones songs. I specifically remember "Sympathy for the Devil" but I can't remember which movie it was for. Sadly, no one used CCR's "Fortunate Son" but then again there weren't any Vietnam movie previews.

So all you have to do is write a few classic rock songs or, failing that, just buy the Rolling Stones' music rights.

Now, don't get this valuable advice mixed up with the RodeoSchro Movie Preview Indication Device (or whatever I used to call it). I don't remember much about the previews, except that movie about the 6th graders trying to get into some 8th-grade party looked really funny.

And "Stuber" IS really funny!

I highly enjoyed this perfect summer movie. It has it all: action; adventure; humor; more action; lots of humor; some funny adventure; and great jokes.

Dave Bautista is really good as...I forgot his character's name. I had to look it up. It's Victor Manning. Great name for a cop!

Kumail Nanjiani isd a really funny guy. The play-off between him and Bautista works just about every time. I don't want to ruin any of the gags - just go see the movie!

"Stuber" gets 4.25 Sarah Connors out of 5 Sarah Connors. It's a great summer movie!

.

[Edited 7/18/19 12:45pm]

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 07/18/19 12:43pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

namepeace said:

RodeoSchro said:

THIRTY-ONE YEARS AGO TODAY, THE SECOND-BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE OF ALL TIME WAS RELEASED:

The debate over whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie -- even though it was released in the dead of summer -- will also die hard.



Actually, the debate is over.

It's a Christmas movie, no matter what Bruce Willis says. I know I watch it at Christmas and I bet it's watched by more people during the Christmas season than during any other three-week period in the year.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 07/18/19 1:56pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

OH. HELL. YES!

https://www.youtube.com/w...SqVVswa420

The trailer for "Top Gun: Maverick" has dropped!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 07/18/19 2:41pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

OH. HELL. YES!

https://www.youtube.com/w...SqVVswa420

The trailer for "Top Gun: Maverick" has dropped!


doesnt look bad.

have you seen the tailer for Cats? It lookslike something out of a nightmare.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 07/18/19 2:53pm

sexton

avatar



Hidden Figures (2016) - The story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.

This was my second viewing and it reminded me a little of Green Book in that it was well-made, but played it safe for mass appeal. 3.5/5

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 07/18/19 4:15pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

RodeoSchro said:

OH. HELL. YES!

https://www.youtube.com/w...SqVVswa420

The trailer for "Top Gun: Maverick" has dropped!


doesnt look bad.

have you seen the tailer for Cats? It lookslike something out of a nightmare.



The good kind of nightmare?

LOL, no I haven't seen it.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 07/18/19 4:26pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

RodeoSchro said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:




RodeoSchro said:


OH. HELL. YES!

https://www.youtube.com/w...SqVVswa420

The trailer for "Top Gun: Maverick" has dropped!




doesnt look bad.


have you seen the tailer for Cats? It lookslike something out of a nightmare.





The good kind of nightmare?

LOL, no I haven't seen it.



Photorealistic anthropomorphic naked CGI people-cats is kinda disturbing. Here’s a link
https://youtu.be/gq50F-IDXDc
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 07/18/19 4:30pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

RodeoSchro said:



The good kind of nightmare?

LOL, no I haven't seen it.

Photorealistic anthropomorphic naked CGI people-cats is kinda disturbing. Here’s a link https://youtu.be/gq50F-IDXDc



Here's what I did:

I started the "Cats" preview.

Then, at 0:57 I muted the "Cats" trailer and fired up "Fortunate Son".

I let "Fortunate Son" play until the 2:01 mark of the "Cats" trailer and then I stopped "Fortunate Son" and restored the audio to "Cats".

It was AWESOME.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 07/18/19 5:54pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

RodeoSchro said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


RodeoSchro said:




The good kind of nightmare?

LOL, no I haven't seen it.



Photorealistic anthropomorphic naked CGI people-cats is kinda disturbing. Here’s a link https://youtu.be/gq50F-IDXDc



Here's what I did:

I started the "Cats" preview.

Then, at 0:57 I muted the "Cats" trailer and fired up "Fortunate Son".

I let "Fortunate Son" play until the 2:01 mark of the "Cats" trailer and then I stopped "Fortunate Son" and restored the audio to "Cats".

It was AWESOME.



Looking at social media, it looks Im not the only one freaked out by the Cats trailer.
[Edited 7/18/19 22:03pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 07/18/19 6:40pm

damosuzuki

Goddess4Real said:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) Entertaining adventure with a a lot of heart, a great cast, it was funny with heaps of action and easter eggs to boot. I give this a 4.5 out of 5 popcorn

i'm actually embarrassed to say how many times i went to see spider-verse in the theatres.

i still can barely believe how much i loved it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 07/18/19 6:46pm

damosuzuki

transit (2019) 3.5/5 man assumes the identity of a dead writer while trying to flee nazi-occupied france, with the twist of being set in the present. an interesting exercise, & it's perfectly watchable, but like phoenix, this director's previous film, i found this more engaging in concept than execution. unlike phoenix, where i felt the ending elevated the film & put a perfect cap on that film's slightly unbelievable central idea, this film doesn't quite gel into something complete & satisfying.


crawl (2019) 3.5/5

100% fun b movie. 90 minutes, snappy pace, some fun gore - alligators vs people in a hurricane. i'm team reptile all the way. kill all humans!

i've heard a few rather snippy things said about the cgi alligators, but for a relatively ow budget horror film i thought they looked great. the only weak point is that the alligators stopped attacking people long enough to give the characters a chance to talk about their feelings. otherwise, a perfect, efficient, pacey summer film.

[Edited 7/18/19 18:48pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 07/18/19 9:04pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Lion King 2019 8/10

I will preface my thoughts on this movie by saying I have never seen the original nor have i see most of the 90’s Disney classics. So the remakes are fine by me, I have no bias one way or another.
.
The visuals are SPECTACULAR. It’s like seeing something out of National Geographic. I Must confess that I don’t know if Disney made the right call with the photorealistic aesthetic because it was absolutely terrifying at times. There was a young family sitting next to me and their little girl screamed in terror a couple of times as I wanted to as well.
.
The stand-outs for me besides the amazing animation was Seth Rogan and whomever played the rat thing that hung over him. Seth Rogan brought life into what was until then mostly just visually spectacular.
.
I love this movie as an adult, but it seems a little intense for the demo that I would have imagined this would be aimed at.
[Edited 7/18/19 22:23pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 07/18/19 9:49pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Venom (2018) A great turn your brain off at the door origin story, despite what the critics say.....although Michelle Williams's wig was quite distracting. I give this a 4 out of 5 popcorn for Hardy's fearless lunacy in the duel roles as Eddie and Venom.


Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 07/19/19 2:28am

TheFman

John Wick 3

More of just the same, it's getting old. Just like Keanu, who's fighting is getting less elegant by the movie.
There's a 4th part coming yet...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 07/19/19 4:26am

maplenpg

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

RodeoSchro said:



The good kind of nightmare?

LOL, no I haven't seen it.

Photorealistic anthropomorphic naked CGI people-cats is kinda disturbing. Here’s a link https://youtu.be/gq50F-IDXDc

Yup, kinda wierd, especially Jennifer Hudson. I'm not sure about these stage to the big screen films. There's something magical about seeing these musicals on the stage, even though ticket prices are becoming more and more elitist nowadays. Cats is one of my favourite musicals so I'm going to be a tough cat to please with this one.

We are all okay, as long as "we" are the ones living on top of the empire of eternal war. - Jaawwnn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Rate the last movie you saw.