independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 24th Jul 2019 1:50am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Doctor Sleep ("The Shining" sequel) first trailer.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/13/19 8:39pm

Hudson

avatar

Doctor Sleep ("The Shining" sequel) first trailer.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/14/19 12:34am

EmmaMcG

avatar

If this is supposed to be a sequel to the book only, why do they use so much imagery from The Shining movie. You know, that movie that Stephen King hates.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/14/19 5:50am

Empress

I'm a huge SK fan and although I liked this booked, it was not one of my favs. I have no interest in seeing this movie. The Shining is a classic, but this movie looks questionable.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/14/19 9:41am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

If this is supposed to be a sequel to the book only, why do they use so much imagery from The Shining movie. You know, that movie that Stephen King hates.


Because there are still parts of the movie that properly reflect to the book. Kubrick made a movie that had nothing to do with SK. And I'm not sure anyone could ever make that book into a proper movie celebrated by fans. But there are moments in the movie that obviously can be used for the trailer, that weren't fucked up so much from the book that it seemed like another movie all together.

It'd be crazy to consider they're going to necessarily rely on previous movie clips in this movie; that'd be a shitfest that even MacGregor would say no to. But for the trailer, you have to remember that we're two generations later. Younger movie goers may no be aware of anything beyond a title The Shining. So it's probably for the sake of reference only; I don't think it's relying too heavily on the movie to promote this trailer. The scenes were incredibly short, almost not there, you'd have to admit.

I've not read Doctor Sleep just yet. I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale right now. But I may very well read it next, just to prep myself for the movie. I'm an SK fan, but my reading speed, plus my own writing projects, and his prolific nature, keeps me from keeping up with his books the way I want.

As far as the trailer itself, I didn't feel like I got much from it. The imagery (old movie aside) was interesting. The first few bits gave us a bit of feeling about Danny's life now, but beyond that I didn't get a sense of anything, other than possibly a coven-esque group of people with the shining now. But how is that effecting anything in the present? I don't know, not from the trailer.

The one thing that bugs me is that fucking Kubrick changed that hotel room number from 217 to 237. I think he was just flexing his ego there, because what other reason is there? I'm working on a horror novel now and the address one of house is 217, a clear nod to SK.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/15/19 9:35am

JorisE73

EmmaMcG said:

If this is supposed to be a sequel to the book only, why do they use so much imagery from The Shining movie. You know, that movie that Stephen King hates.


I think its a sequel to the book and an homage to Kubrick's movie.
Stephen King was never really clear on what he thught about the movie. One time he said he hated it, the other time he said he only hated Jack Nicholson's acting in it and then he said he only hated teh movie as an adaptation of his book but that the movie in itself was a gamechanging masterpiece. Teh guy is all over the place with his opinion on it. lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/17/19 7:19pm

onlyforaminute

Oooo, I just remembered, I didn't finish the book. I was close, gotta finish it up.

Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/17/19 9:32pm

S2DG

Is Hollyweird officially out of ideas or what?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/17/19 11:46pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

S2DG said:

Is Hollyweird officially out of ideas or what?


Old argument, holds no water. It's a freaking Stephen King novel - a novel fans asked for, actually. King put a poll on his site asking if fans wanted something new, and a sequel to The Shining. I'll give you one guess what won.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Hollywood didn't make a movie from a King novel. The movie is a direct sequel to the novel, not the Kubrick film (although they've used imagery from it in the trailer).

So that's not "officially out of ideas". It's going to be a fun ride. Suit up.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/18/19 7:55am

S2DG

TrivialPursuit said:

S2DG said:

Is Hollyweird officially out of ideas or what?


Old argument, holds no water. It's a freaking Stephen King novel - a novel fans asked for, actually. King put a poll on his site asking if fans wanted something new, and a sequel to The Shining. I'll give you one guess what won.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Hollywood didn't make a movie from a King novel. The movie is a direct sequel to the novel, not the Kubrick film (although they've used imagery from it in the trailer).

So that's not "officially out of ideas". It's going to be a fun ride. Suit up.


It's an observation not an argument.

So Stephen King is out of ideas and asking fans what they want, that's great. While I'm a King fan everything he does isn't worthy of a movie.

Suit up? Now I need an outfit for bad entertainment because you deemed it a "fun ride"?

You're so clever maybe you should write a script.


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/18/19 9:51am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

S2DG said:

It's an observation not an argument.

So Stephen King is out of ideas and asking fans what they want, that's great. While I'm a King fan everything he does isn't worthy of a movie.

Suit up? Now I need an outfit for bad entertainment because you deemed it a "fun ride"?

You're so clever maybe you should write a script.



Katharine Hepburn and Jane Fonda had a great scene in On Golden Pond. Jane's character, Chelsea, had an ongoing icy relationship with Henry Fonda's character, Norman (her father in real life and the movie). Ethel (Hepburn) tries talking to Chelsea about it and create a calm space for them both. She said, "You have a chip on your shoudler, and it's very, very unattractive."

Isn't it tiring to be so negative, and carry that weight on your shoulders everyday? Or have you just lugged it around for so long you're used to it?

The difference between you and me is that I'm not trying to be clever. I was talking about a new movie based on a Stephen King book. You... well, we've seen what you're here for. But good for you, right? You really showed me!

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/18/19 9:53am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

Oooo, I just remembered, I didn't finish the book. I was close, gotta finish it up.


I'm with ya. I put The Shining and Doctor Sleep on my Nook. I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale, then I'll dig into these two books. I was such a huge King fan when I was a youngster. But I forget if I read The Shining back then or not. I've slept since then. haha

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/18/19 1:03pm

S2DG

TrivialPursuit said:

S2DG said:

It's an observation not an argument.

So Stephen King is out of ideas and asking fans what they want, that's great. While I'm a King fan everything he does isn't worthy of a movie.

Suit up? Now I need an outfit for bad entertainment because you deemed it a "fun ride"?

You're so clever maybe you should write a script.



Katharine Hepburn and Jane Fonda had a great scene in On Golden Pond. Jane's character, Chelsea, had an ongoing icy relationship with Henry Fonda's character, Norman (her father in real life and the movie). Ethel (Hepburn) tries talking to Chelsea about it and create a calm space for them both. She said, "You have a chip on your shoudler, and it's very, very unattractive."

Isn't it tiring to be so negative, and carry that weight on your shoulders everyday? Or have you just lugged it around for so long you're used to it?

The difference between you and me is that I'm not trying to be clever. I was talking about a new movie based on a Stephen King book. You... well, we've seen what you're here for. But good for you, right? You really showed me!


Just because I don't think this movie is not very original and that the industry seems a little out of ideas doesn't mean I'm a negative person. Can have an opinion that you don't agree with?

You're condescending tone and what you think you know speaks volumes and is not very attractive.

I'm not trying to "show you" anything, stop judging me.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Doctor Sleep ("The Shining" sequel) first trailer.