independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 24th Jul 2019 1:43am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Windows 10 Is Doing A Great Job Persuading People To Switch To A Different Operating System
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/16/19 11:53pm

domainator2010

Windows 10 Is Doing A Great Job Persuading People To Switch To A Different Operating System

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/23/19 10:37am

Graycap23

avatar

I don't find it 2 be intuitive on any level.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/23/19 1:38pm

Genesia

avatar

Microsoft sucks.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/24/19 12:40am

domainator2010

So what OS are YOU using? smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/24/19 4:48am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I don’t blame people switching Windows today unless you need Final Cut Pro. The desktop market on the consumer side is in a state of flux and getting a less expensive system with more bang for your buck is definitely on Windows. But It looks like the end of Intel is near and a switch to ARM processors in the consumers side is all but a certainty. And then the equation for consumers computers will swing back to Macs.
Persistent Turd is the shit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/24/19 7:57am

domainator2010

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

getting a less expensive system with more bang for your buck is definitely on Windows.


This is plain untrue, if the other option is Linux, ie. Free! (yeah dead horse I know, but I still can't resist smile ) (were you talking about Mac?).



As far as FCP is concerned, here, take a look at this (click "Video Editors" on the left hand side), you should find SOMETHING there that satisfies your needs! smile :



https://docs.google.com/d...0KJ7E/edit



Intel is about to die? Not being antagonistic, where did you get this information?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/24/19 8:03am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

domainator2010 said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


getting a less expensive system with more bang for your buck is definitely on Windows.


This is plain untrue, if the other option is Linux, ie. Free! (yeah dead horse I know, but I still can't resist smile ) (were you talking about Mac?).





As far as FCP is concerned, here, take a look at this (click "Video Editors" on the left hand side), you should find SOMETHING there that satisfies your needs! smile :





https://docs.google.com/d...0KJ7E/edit



Intel is about to die? Not being antagonistic, where did you get this information?



I just meant that there are people who don’t like changing from what they are used to, and FCP is only on the Mac and is amazingly fast at rendering compared to Adobe Premier. And Intel is pretty much dead. It’s just a fact. Hard to survive and expand as a niche player as they are quickly becoming.
Persistent Turd is the shit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/24/19 8:11am

domainator2010

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

FCP is only on the Mac and is amazingly fast at rendering compared to Adobe Premier. And Intel is pretty much dead. It’s just a fact. Hard to survive and expand as a niche player as they are quickly becoming.


Maybe something on that list I gave you is just as fast? smile You should check them out sometime smile

...and are you suggesting that the desktop PC is doomed, somehow??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/24/19 8:40am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

domainator2010 said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


FCP is only on the Mac and is amazingly fast at rendering compared to Adobe Premier. And Intel is pretty much dead. It’s just a fact. Hard to survive and expand as a niche player as they are quickly becoming.


Maybe something on that list I gave you is just as fast? smile You should check them out sometime smile

...and are you suggesting that the desktop PC is doomed, somehow??



Not at all, but it’s definitely going to be something mostly geared towards work and enterprise.
Persistent Turd is the shit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/25/19 4:40am

domainator2010

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Not at all, but it’s definitely going to be something mostly geared towards work and enterprise.


What makes you think that? Like, what's wrong with a PC in the house one can watch Netflix, play games, listen to music and surf the web on?? smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/25/19 7:03am

EmmaMcG

avatar

domainator2010 said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


Not at all, but it’s definitely going to be something mostly geared towards work and enterprise.


What makes you think that? Like, what's wrong with a PC in the house one can watch Netflix, play games, listen to music and surf the web on?? smile



You can do all of that on a PlayStation or Xbox. Even Microsoft know that PCs are not the "go to" place to do these things. That's why they're developing the XCloud, where you can play games on any device via streaming. Google are launching their "Stadia" service this year too which again, allows you to use any device to play top of the range games. You can even use the most basic smartphone and your experience will be no different to someone who's spent upwards of 5 grand on a gaming PC.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/25/19 7:27am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Microsoft doing great by the way especially with cloud services. Yesterday they reported a record quarter and are now the most valuable company in the world. So windows is not going anywhere, but they have hedged wisely and making sure all their products can run seamlessly on the web on any device.
Persistent Turd is the shit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/26/19 2:31am

domainator2010

EmmaMcG said:

domainator2010 said:


What makes you think that? Like, what's wrong with a PC in the house one can watch Netflix, play games, listen to music and surf the web on?? smile

You can do all of that on a PlayStation or Xbox. Even Microsoft know that PCs are not the "go to" place to do these things. That's why they're developing the XCloud, where you can play games on any device via streaming. Google are launching their "Stadia" service this year too which again, allows you to use any device to play top of the range games. You can even use the most basic smartphone and your experience will be no different to someone who's spent upwards of 5 grand on a gaming PC.


Yes, I'm well aware of both of those - but whatever "thin" device you use on the client side still has to have a chip, yeah? Even if it's a "lowly" one...? So - how does that mean that Intel (or AMD) will go out of business??

And don't forget that you'll have to pay for the services themselves AND have a blazing net connection - how the economics of that works out remains to be seen until they launch, of course.

Btw, those 2 are not the only 2 there are, if you're an avid gamer (and you are, right?), check these as well:

www.liquidsky.com
vortex.gg


*IF* these things take off, there will be a TECTONIC shift in the games industry, to say the least.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/26/19 3:01am

EmmaMcG

avatar

domainator2010 said:



EmmaMcG said:


domainator2010 said:



What makes you think that? Like, what's wrong with a PC in the house one can watch Netflix, play games, listen to music and surf the web on?? smile



You can do all of that on a PlayStation or Xbox. Even Microsoft know that PCs are not the "go to" place to do these things. That's why they're developing the XCloud, where you can play games on any device via streaming. Google are launching their "Stadia" service this year too which again, allows you to use any device to play top of the range games. You can even use the most basic smartphone and your experience will be no different to someone who's spent upwards of 5 grand on a gaming PC.


Yes, I'm well aware of both of those - but whatever "thin" device you use on the client side still has to have a chip, yeah? Even if it's a "lowly" one...? So - how does that mean that Intel (or AMD) will go out of business??

And don't forget that you'll have to pay for the services themselves AND have a blazing net connection - how the economics of that works out remains to be seen until they launch, of course.

Btw, those 2 are not the only 2 there are, if you're an avid gamer (and you are, right?), check these as well:



www.liquidsky.com
vortex.gg


*IF* these things take off, there will be a TECTONIC shift in the games industry, to say the least.



I wasn't talking about Intel or AMD. I was referring to the limited need for a desktop PC in the home.

Neither Microsoft nor Google have announced pricing for their game streaming services but I doubt either of them will be that expensive. And Internet speeds shouldn't be a factor for most people. At most, you'll need around 10 - 15mb broadband for streaming in HD, possibly slightly more for streaming in 4k. I currently have a 150mb broadband connection so I should be OK as far as Internet requirements go. The main issue people will face will be usage limits. Several ISPs still enforce download allowances, which will obviously impact game streaming. But there's an easy fix for that. Just change to a provider that has no limit.

Those aren't the only 2 streaming services but they are the only 2 capable of attracting top quality games to their service. Microsoft in particular have been buying game companies like there's no tomorrow to ensure that if you want to play those company's games, then you'll need an Xbox or XCloud subscription to do so.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/30/19 10:27am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

domainator2010 said:

https://www.forbes.com/si...b02348557b


We had to switch to 10 at work... not impressed at all. I use Mac at home and love it.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/30/19 2:55pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

10 sucks donkey balls, worst part is all the updates they force on you that always cause problems.

But I will never buy a Mac, as I refuse to own anything Apple.

"Jussie Smollett wanted to become the Rosa Parks of Gay Black Men, but instead he became the Rosie Ruiz."

https://nypost.com/2019/0...a-is-long/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/30/19 4:46pm

TD3

avatar

Windows 10 is no longer your computer. Plus it will be a work in progress until the sun burns out. lol

I don't know what to tell, most folks in the US pretty much learn enough about computers to do whatever they need to do. To speak of alternatives (switching to Apple or Android) is their option. Switch to Linux most folks aren't going their because the really don't want to relearn, so they continue to complain or suffer.

I read in the Wall Street general, non-techie, Senior citizens are swithing to Apple tablets in record numbers. I'm convinced in the long run Apple wants to get rid of Apple laptops and have everyong use their tablets. We shall see.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/30/19 6:42pm

728huey

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

domainator2010 said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


Not at all, but it’s definitely going to be something mostly geared towards work and enterprise.


What makes you think that? Like, what's wrong with a PC in the house one can watch Netflix, play games, listen to music and surf the web on?? smile



You can do all of that on a PlayStation or Xbox. Even Microsoft know that PCs are not the "go to" place to do these things. That's why they're developing the XCloud, where you can play games on any device via streaming. Google are launching their "Stadia" service this year too which again, allows you to use any device to play top of the range games. You can even use the most basic smartphone and your experience will be no different to someone who's spent upwards of 5 grand on a gaming PC.


Desktop computers aren't the be all and end all devices they used to be. I'm not saying they're going the way of the dinosaur, dodo bird, or Commodore 64, but they will probably be relegated back to the workstations they were intended to be. People can already surf the web, go on Facebook, watch YouTube, check email, and post Instagram photos on their smart phones, and you can watch movies on a tablet and even cast it from your tablet to your TV. I currently have a Raspberry Pi hooked up to my TV to watch movies and play retro video games, and it cost me a total of $50 to assemble between the computer board, the protective casing, the power cord/supply, and the micro SD card to load the OS on. If you have a wireless keyboard, it works as a fully functional Linux computer. I can see people who still have desktops actually using them for work whether it's for actual home office work or for serious editing of videos and/or music.

As for Windows 10, Microsoft tried to force it on me when it first came out, but I had it downgraded back to 8.1, which was working just fine for me. With all of the issues with stuff crashing every time they do an update, it will convince people to buy a Chromebook first, and if they have the money, then a Mac. Only those somewhat familiar with Linux will go all in, but even then it most likely would be either Ubuntu and it's derivatives or Mint.

typing
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/30/19 6:54pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I do not want a Mac. What are the Chromebooks like? I detest 10 and the updates also...probably why nothing is working right with my current laptop.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/30/19 7:58pm

TD3

avatar

PennyPurple said:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I do not want a Mac. What are the Chromebooks like? I detest 10 and the updates also...probably why nothing is working right with my current laptop.

Pros & Cons of Chromebooks: Saves me a lot of typing or miss-typing. lol

https://www.wiknix.com/ch...-and-cons/

=========================see lol

[Edited 5/30/19 20:00pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/30/19 8:20pm

PennyPurple

avatar

TD3 said:

PennyPurple said:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I do not want a Mac. What are the Chromebooks like? I detest 10 and the updates also...probably why nothing is working right with my current laptop.

Pros & Cons of Chromebooks: Saves me a lot of typing or miss-typing. lol

https://www.wiknix.com/ch...-and-cons/

=========================see lol

[Edited 5/30/19 20:00pm]

Thank you!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/30/19 9:04pm

TD3

avatar

Food for thought as computers of all types become smaller and thinner, they'll be unable to repaired. In most instances 3rd party repair will cease to exit and you'll be depended on the company for repairs.

I still say in the long run desktop computers make sense economically and environmentally.

Raspberry Pi, I love them but ARM technology has its limitations. They work with very well for specific task but using an OS forget about it. I'd recommend Odroid-C2 2gb lots more power and can run Ubuntu Mate just fine.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/30/19 11:23pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

728huey said:

EmmaMcG said:
You can do all of that on a PlayStation or Xbox. Even Microsoft know that PCs are not the "go to" place to do these things. That's why they're developing the XCloud, where you can play games on any device via streaming. Google are launching their "Stadia" service this year too which again, allows you to use any device to play top of the range games. You can even use the most basic smartphone and your experience will be no different to someone who's spent upwards of 5 grand on a gaming PC.
Desktop computers aren't the be all and end all devices they used to be. I'm not saying they're going the way of the dinosaur, dodo bird, or Commodore 64, but they will probably be relegated back to the workstations they were intended to be. People can already surf the web, go on Facebook, watch YouTube, check email, and post Instagram photos on their smart phones, and you can watch movies on a tablet and even cast it from your tablet to your TV. I currently have a Raspberry Pi hooked up to my TV to watch movies and play retro video games, and it cost me a total of $50 to assemble between the computer board, the protective casing, the power cord/supply, and the micro SD card to load the OS on. If you have a wireless keyboard, it works as a fully functional Linux computer. I can see people who still have desktops actually using them for work whether it's for actual home office work or for serious editing of videos and/or music. As for Windows 10, Microsoft tried to force it on me when it first came out, but I had it downgraded back to 8.1, which was working just fine for me. With all of the issues with stuff crashing every time they do an update, it will convince people to buy a Chromebook first, and if they have the money, then a Mac. Only those somewhat familiar with Linux will go all in, but even then it most likely would be either Ubuntu and it's derivatives or Mint. typing

That's the problem for me. I want to only use my cell phone for what it was intended to be. Conversation. I don't want to watch no damn game or a movie on my cell phone. Too many folks live their damn lives in a cell phone as it is. Personal interactions can suffer because folks are thumbing away at their damn cell phone. I had a motherfucker at work a couple of nights ago have the nerve to stop working so he can sit on his ass on the work floor and watch tv on his phone. WTF? Hell no! Fucking youngsters think the use of a cell phone at work is a privilege. pissed If I want to watch a game it damn sure won't be on my cell phone.

If I want to watch a game or a movie I want to see it on my 50" screen.

I own an Ipad and it's convenient for on the go traveleling but when I'm at home (call me old fashioned) I want to use a desktop for computing. The good old desktop is still my favorite.

[Edited 5/30/19 23:23pm]

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/31/19 4:27am

TheFman

Just got delivered all components for my new desktop. I hate working on laptops and even more on phones (plus i dont need the phone radiation every hour of the day, thanks)
The new is a beast, going to stand firm the 10 next years, just as my current did (i'd keep that one longer if Windows 7 wasn't about to end + i can't use M.2 ssd's in there)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/01/19 9:53am

domainator2010

PennyPurple said:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I do not want a Mac. What are the Chromebooks like? I detest 10 and the updates also...probably why nothing is working right with my current laptop.

Any reason you're not considering Linux? smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/01/19 9:55am

domainator2010

phunkdaddy said:

The good old desktop is still my favorite.

[Edited 5/30/19 23:23pm]

You echo my thoughts, Sir! smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/01/19 9:57am

domainator2010

TheFman said:


The new is a beast, going to stand firm the 10 next years,

Cool - what're you planning on doing with it? smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/01/19 2:51pm

PennyPurple

avatar

domainator2010 said:

PennyPurple said:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I do not want a Mac. What are the Chromebooks like? I detest 10 and the updates also...probably why nothing is working right with my current laptop.

Any reason you're not considering Linux? smile

I don't know anything about a Linux. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/01/19 4:12pm

tump

Anything you're allowed to buy in the stores has been manufactured with your tax dollars to surveil you. The tech companies are ALL in bed with State Mafia using YOUR tax dollars to monitor, censor and enslave you. Right down to the hardware levels (BIOS, hard drive firmware, flash memory, cpu).

Choosing 'sides' is pointless. Deconstructing the surveillance hardware and software is the only real worthwhile effort. That and creating your own stuff or insisting on using far older hardware and software.

Forced Updates are just another way to feed the masses fresh exploits and make older hardware run slower, disguised as 'security' but primarily designed to sell more hardware and software while the masses have what privacy is left continually stolen

http://www.youtube.com/wa...tQ7LNeC8Cs
[Edited 6/1/19 16:24pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/02/19 1:19am

domainator2010

PennyPurple said:

domainator2010 said:

Any reason you're not considering Linux? smile

I don't know anything about a Linux. smile

Here, I dug up this video for you. I saw some of it, seems on point smile :

https://www.youtube.com/w...8ik8pDTgJE

[Edited 6/2/19 1:20am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Windows 10 Is Doing A Great Job Persuading People To Switch To A Different Operating System