independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > rate the last movie you watched
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 03/31/19 4:41am

sarahreyes

Us (2019 film) . 5/10

Hi........am lost
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 03/31/19 8:30am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

Free Solo 8/10

Great documentary about rock climber Alex Hannold who is attempting to climb Yosemite’s El Capitan “free solo”, which I learned means without any rope, just by oneself without any gear.
In a great documentary you get to learn something, not just about a particular subject, but the people behind the subject and something about the bigger picture, in this case the human mind and personality traits that drive us. Sometimes it’s nothing so profound but fascinating just the same.
The imagery of Yosemite and El Capitan is gorgeous.

The movie goes by pretty fast and it’s streaming now on Netflick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 03/31/19 3:50pm

thedoorkeeper

Beach Bum
Zero stars
This is a bad movie.
Looks like it was a fun movie to make but not much fun to watch.
I was hoping Matthew McConaughey would die at the end of the movie. That's how annoying his character is. Wish it had been funny - which it should have been.
It had a great cast - Jonah Hill. Snoop. Isle Fisher. Zach Enfron. Martin Lawrence.
Saw two couples walk out early.
Wish I had followed them out.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 03/31/19 4:59pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

thedoorkeeper said:

Beach Bum
Zero stars
This is a bad movie.
Looks like it was a fun movie to make but not much fun to watch.
I was hoping Matthew McConaughey would die at the end of the movie. That's how annoying his character is. Wish it had been funny - which it should have been.
It had a great cast - Jonah Hill. Snoop. Isle Fisher. Zach Enfron. Martin Lawrence.
Saw two couples walk out early.
Wish I had followed them out.


The interesting part is how little promotion the film got. It arrived in theaters seemingly by surprise. I saw no reviews or mention of it in my movie social media feeds.
Good counter programming as there is really nothing new in theaters for adults. Actually nothing interesting at all right now. Haven’t really felt too motivated to go to the theaters in months.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 04/01/19 9:19am

sexton

avatar



Rough Night (2017) - Things go terribly wrong for a group of girlfriends who hire a male stripper for a bachelorette party in Miami.

I've suffered through many bad films because I like Scarlett Johansson, but this may be the worst of them. I'm going to have to watch something super highbrow soon to get this bad taste out of my eyes. 1/5

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 04/01/19 9:37am

gandorb

sexton said:



Rough Night (2017) - Things go terribly wrong for a group of girlfriends who hire a male stripper for a bachelorette party in Miami.

I've suffered through many bad films because I like Scarlett Johansson, but this may be the worst of them. I'm going to have to watch something super highbrow soon to get this bad taste out of my eyes. 1/5



Perhaps this will appease your guilt, shame, and any associated spiritual side-effects: GFY lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 04/01/19 9:49am

RodeoSchro

Last night we watched "Green Book". While it has some weaknesses, the acting was superb and the story was really good. I'm not surprised it won Best Picture, especially since the only other nominated film I saw was "Vice". So I can't really express an informed opinion on the other movies that were nominated. Interestingly enough, both of the lead actors in the two movies I did see put on mucho poundage for their roles but neither won an Academy Award for getting fat.

Mahershala Ali did win the Best Supporting Actor award, which I'm not so sure about. One of the only flaws I would point out about "Green Book" is that it violated RodeoSchro's Number One Rule About Movie Making: the hero has to be likable. "Green Book" made Don Shirley out to be a bit of a dick at times. I can understand where that came from but then again - this is "based" on a true story so even if Shirley was a dick in real life (which I highly doubt), they could have made him more likable.

It was really good to see Italians portrayed that weren't Mob guys. Viggo Mortenson was tremendous as Tony Lip. I read up on that dude (Mortenson, not Tony Lip). What an impressive guy! He speaks a ton of languages; writes poems and songs; and does art. Pretty much just like me, except for the multiple languages/acting/poems/art stuff.

I guess I should wrap this up so as to adhere to the RodeoSchro Theorem of Inverse Movie Reviews, which states that the better the movie, the shorter my review.

"Green Book" gets 4 Green Books out of 5 Green Books. Enjoy!

.

[Edited 4/1/19 9:51am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 04/01/19 10:39am

damosuzuki

nico, 1988 (2018) 3.5/5 this is definitely the better of the two musical biopics featuring heroin use i watched in the past week.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 04/01/19 12:14pm

onlyforaminute

Bohemian Rhapsody 3/5 I don't know enough personal story to critique, but I bet this was fun to see in a full theater which must have enhanced the experience.

Blackkklansman 3.5/5 Funny, but got a bit distracted by John David, he doesn't look exactly like his daddy but dammit he sounds exactly like him, had me cracking up. He's got a little bit of the walk too but enough uniqueness that it's his own.

If you carry the egg basket do not dance.

Do good, then throw it into the sea.

#octavia tried to tell us
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 04/01/19 3:30pm

3rdeyedude

avatar

thedoorkeeper said:

Beach Bum Zero stars This is a bad movie. Looks like it was a fun movie to make but not much fun to watch. I was hoping Matthew McConaughey would die at the end of the movie. That's how annoying his character is. Wish it had been funny - which it should have been. It had a great cast - Jonah Hill. Snoop. Isle Fisher. Zach Enfron. Martin Lawrence. Saw two couples walk out early. Wish I had followed them out.

Saw this too. Wish I had been high while watching it. But even then, I don't think it would have been good. The soundtrack and Key West scenery/vibe were great though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 04/02/19 3:08am

TheFman

The Highwaymen

A lot of similarities to 'dragged across concrete' of last week, that can only be a good thing. It's the Bonnie & Clyde story from the perspective of the Texas Rangers. Basically also a two-cop movie, around 2,5 hours at a slow pace.

No doubt this will end up in my top 10 movies of the year as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 04/02/19 11:24am

sexton

avatar

gandorb said:


Perhaps this will appease your guilt, shame, and any associated spiritual side-effects: GFY lol


Which GFY is this? hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 04/02/19 12:13pm

logger

Stan & Ollie 7.5 / 10

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 04/02/19 4:52pm

gandorb

sexton said:

gandorb said:


Perhaps this will appease your guilt, shame, and any associated spiritual side-effects: GFY lol


Which GFY is this? hmmm

I'm just keeping it real spiritual and sweet like S2DG wink , but at the end of the day it's really your perogative!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 04/02/19 5:12pm

onlyforaminute

logger said:

Stan & Ollie 7.5 / 10



That left the theater here so fast and I wanted to see it. Gotta wait.

If you carry the egg basket do not dance.

Do good, then throw it into the sea.

#octavia tried to tell us
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 04/03/19 6:34pm

damosuzuki

smokey & the bandit (1977) 3.5/5 did you know that alfred hitchcock apparently loved this film? funny old world, i guess. that said, i actually don't think it's too hard to grock what he saw in it if that's true - it's fun & breezy & goofily enjoyable.


suburbia (1983) 3.5/5

juvenile delinquent film updated for the punk rock era. completely amateurish & ragged, but it wouldn't be right if it wasn't. as a drama, it is pretty half-assed, but it definitely captures a time and place.

if nothing else, worth watching for the club scenes that feature performances by the vandals, tsol & d.i.





  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 04/04/19 1:03pm

TheFman

Glass

Let me just say: that didnt went where i expected.

More comment would contain spoilers, so I leave it there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 04/04/19 3:17pm

onlyforaminute

TheFman said:

Glass

Let me just say: that didnt went where i expected.

More comment would contain spoilers, so I leave it there.



No, say it. Just put, **spoiler alert** space down a few times and say what you've got to say, like everybody else.

If you carry the egg basket do not dance.

Do good, then throw it into the sea.

#octavia tried to tell us
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 04/06/19 3:46pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

Shazam 6/10

I give it a 6 because it’s not aimed at my demo. It’s a fun movie. It has a very old and dated feel but it’s aimed at kids. My guess this movie would be aimed at 8-16 year olds. This demo is not very demanding.

For what it is, it’s fine. Not great, but I’m sure if you’re in the demo, you’d love it.
[Edited 4/6/19 16:11pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 04/06/19 4:28pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Shazam 6/10

I give it a 6 because it’s not aimed at my demo. It’s a fun movie. It has a very old and dated feel but it’s aimed at kids. My guess this movie would be aimed at 8-16 year olds. This demo is not very demanding.

For what it is, it’s fine. Not great, but I’m sure if you’re in the demo, you’d love it.
[Edited 4/6/19 16:11pm]


I disagree. Not so much with what you say, just with the score. 6 is too high. If we're scoring out of 10, I'd give it a 3. Painfully unfunny, annoying lead character, some terrible CG, annoying lead character, stupid "cameo" and, in case I forgot to say, annoying lead character. This movie is not aimed at 8-16 year olds. It's aimed at morons who find this kind of shit funny or entertaining.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 04/06/19 5:04pm

damosuzuki

hulk (2003) 3/5

i like a lot of things in this. i think it came the closest to capturing the actual feel of a comic book world perhaps more than any film prior to spider-verse, with its panels within the screen, quick cross-cuts & such things. it also sports a crazy nick nolte performance, sam elliot being charismatic as usual, & jennifer connelly at her most freakishly beautiful. & it tries to tell a real story, tries to build characters, build a world. it has a heart.

but it's just a bit too light on action, isn't it? and if i call the cgi wobbly, i'm probably being generous. that dog scene is unforgivable.

they were about 1/2 a decade away from really being able to pull something like this off, i guess.



alleluia! the devil's carnival (2016) 1.5/5

i honestly couldn't tell what this movie was about. it certainly had people jumping around, wearing weird costumes & almost continuously singing.

but i really couldn't say what happened, who was who, why people did anything. at one point i considered pausing it, opening the wiki and getting briefed on the plot to see if that would enhance my enjoyment, but i decided that i wasn't invested enough to make even that small gesture.


i selected this because it looked weird it & had skinny puppy's nivek ogre listed in the cast. i didn't notice who ogre was in the film - probably one of the interchangeable, heavily made up characters.

but one thing this film confirmed about me, not that i need to divulge this or that anyone ought to care, is that i am a disappointingly average hetero male, not that there's anything wrong with that. the only thing that kept me going through the running time was the presence of a lot of very good looking women & a generous amount of cleavage. that sustained me.






  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 04/06/19 5:21pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

EmmaMcG said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Shazam 6/10

I give it a 6 because it’s not aimed at my demo. It’s a fun movie. It has a very old and dated feel but it’s aimed at kids. My guess this movie would be aimed at 8-16 year olds. This demo is not very demanding.

For what it is, it’s fine. Not great, but I’m sure if you’re in the demo, you’d love it.
[Edited 4/6/19 16:11pm]


I disagree. Not so much with what you say, just with the score. 6 is too high. If we're scoring out of 10, I'd give it a 3. Painfully unfunny, annoying lead character, some terrible CG, annoying lead character, stupid "cameo" and, in case I forgot to say, annoying lead character. This movie is not aimed at 8-16 year olds. It's aimed at morons who find this kind of shit funny or entertaining.


I can see where you’re coming from and can’t disagree.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 04/07/19 6:01pm

namepeace

Us (2019)

A clever movie but a bit uneven. Lupita Nyong'o carries the film to the finish line.

starstarstar.25

Captain Marvel (2019)

Brie Larson is magnetic but the Marvel formula is wearing a bit thin.

starstarstar

[Edited 4/8/19 6:30am]

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 04/07/19 11:25pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

damosuzuki said:

smokey & the bandit (1977)

This is my all time favorite movie and the one I've seen the most. "There ain't no way, no way you come from my loins. Remind me when we get home to punch yo mama in the mouth" "You sounded a little taller on the radio" lol After that, my favorites are Enter The Dragon, Car Wash, Wattstax, & It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 04/08/19 2:49am

TheFman

The Mule

Totally predictable, nice between the lines, but yet enjoyable. It's an Eastwood after all, and Eastwood is a Master. Incredible when you think he's over 90!


The Upside

I think that Kevin Hart must be the least talented comedy actor ever. He's very annoying, always playing the same role, and he's annoying lol

But... but but but... I can't help to think this is a great movie. It touches all the right buttons. Even when Hart's doing a Hart, it's fine and fits the movie. Sure he's the less gifted of the 3 leading roles by far, but the overall quality is high enough to cover.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 04/08/19 5:18am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

MickyDolenz said:



damosuzuki said:


smokey & the bandit (1977)



This is my all time favorite movie and the one I've seen the most. "There ain't no way, no way you come from my loins. Remind me when we get home to punch yo mama in the mouth" "You sounded a little taller on the radio" lol After that, my favorites are Enter The Dragon, Car Wash, Wattstax, & It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.




You’ve just told us your age and what type of car you drive


lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 04/08/19 6:25am

RodeoSchro



63741194.jpg

[Edited 4/8/19 6:31am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 04/08/19 6:26am

RodeoSchro

OK. Last Friday, I drug my breathern to the Booze (no Chow, just Booze) and watched "Us". It's time for a new RodeoSchro Movie Theorem - the Theory of Confusion.

WTF did I just watch?


Hey, you know what? Thinking about it, the best thing to do is start a thead on this movie. That way no one will accidentally read this and get the surprises spoiled.

So, I'll rate this movie as 3 Bee-Yacht'es out of 5 Bee-Yacht'es, but review it on its own thread. Just because I love you so much!


.

[Edited 4/8/19 6:30am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 04/08/19 9:48am

Empress

RodeoSchro said:

Last night we watched "Green Book". While it has some weaknesses, the acting was superb and the story was really good. I'm not surprised it won Best Picture, especially since the only other nominated film I saw was "Vice". So I can't really express an informed opinion on the other movies that were nominated. Interestingly enough, both of the lead actors in the two movies I did see put on mucho poundage for their roles but neither won an Academy Award for getting fat.

Mahershala Ali did win the Best Supporting Actor award, which I'm not so sure about. One of the only flaws I would point out about "Green Book" is that it violated RodeoSchro's Number One Rule About Movie Making: the hero has to be likable. "Green Book" made Don Shirley out to be a bit of a dick at times. I can understand where that came from but then again - this is "based" on a true story so even if Shirley was a dick in real life (which I highly doubt), they could have made him more likable.

It was really good to see Italians portrayed that weren't Mob guys. Viggo Mortenson was tremendous as Tony Lip. I read up on that dude (Mortenson, not Tony Lip). What an impressive guy! He speaks a ton of languages; writes poems and songs; and does art. Pretty much just like me, except for the multiple languages/acting/poems/art stuff.

I guess I should wrap this up so as to adhere to the RodeoSchro Theorem of Inverse Movie Reviews, which states that the better the movie, the shorter my review.

"Green Book" gets 4 Green Books out of 5 Green Books. Enjoy!

.

[Edited 4/1/19 9:51am]

Love your review and I completely agree! I saw the movie over the weekend. Both actors were fantastic but I think I enjoyed Viggio's character more. Excellent movie!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 04/08/19 12:02pm

damosuzuki

border (2018) 4/5 "When a border guard with a sixth sense for identifying smugglers encounters the first person she cannot prove is guilty, she is forced to confront terrifying revelations about herself and humankind."

i found this occasionally annoying, sometimes revolting, but also hypnotic & oddly kinda sweet.
it contains the most uncomfortable, sort of horrifying sex scene i think i've ever seen in a film. david cronenberg would probably look at that and go 'wow, this director is one fucked up son of a bitch.'

i will probably never masturbate again after seeing this sex scene. in fact, i am now going to turn off the lights & sit in the dark with a cold cloth over my head & try very hard not to think about anything for the rest of day.


PSW7L53MJBEODARR74Z2PSEQPA.JPG

[Edited 4/8/19 12:03pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > rate the last movie you watched