independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 21st Jan 2020 3:38pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > rate the last movie you watched
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 03/23/19 8:55am

TheTruth123

I don't watch movies for the most part. There is no need, when real life is so beautiful.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 03/23/19 8:56am

RodeoSchro

avatar

TheTruth123 said:

I don't watch movies for the most part. There is no need, when real life is so beautiful.



That's why I write great movies reviews that you can read instead of watching the actual movie.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 03/23/19 9:03am

TheTruth123

I always wondered why Prince liked to make movies with his women.

I think it was to have them later smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 03/23/19 10:11am

3rdeyedude

avatar

"US" (2 1/2 stars out of 5)

Really wanted to like this movie but in the end it was just a dumb horror movie and a let down after 'Get Out'. I think Peele can do way better than this and am interested to see what he creates next though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 03/24/19 5:07pm

S2DG

avatar

3rdeyedude said:

"US" (2 1/2 stars out of 5)

Really wanted to like this movie but in the end it was just a dumb horror movie and a let down after 'Get Out'. I think Peele can do way better than this and am interested to see what he creates next though.


Just saw this and felt the same way. I won't see another of his movies.

In fact, not sure I'll go to the movies again.

The last three movies I paid to see left me with that feeling of being suckered.

Like when you put money into a claw machine and even if you win, you know inside you're the loser.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 03/24/19 6:53pm

damosuzuki

apollo 11 (2019) 5/5 straightforward doc that walks you through the apollo 11 journey from lift-off to return strictly using beautifully restored footage. there were no modern talking head interviews, no voice-overs, and only a smattering of contemporaneous news commentary. what it did have is an emotional kick that i did not see coming. made me cry a few times if i'm being honest. fantastic score, too, though that contained my only quibble in that there were a few moments where it verged on being slighly overbearing, where it stepped on the moment. see it on the biggest screen with the best sound system.

head-on (2004) 4/5 self-destructive, nihilistic man & woman have a sham marriage so she can live a free wheeling hedonistic life with no interference from her strict parents. they make for a pretty good movie couple. if more relationship dramas were like this, i could watch them without wanting to vomit in disgust. i may now be slightly infatuated with sibel kekilli.


site_28_rand_1367205871_head_on_627.jpg?itok=gpwwQ7xT&mtime=1393410535

[Edited 3/24/19 19:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 03/24/19 8:54pm

sexton

avatar

TheTruth123 said:

I don't watch movies for the most part. There is no need, when real life is so beautiful.



S2DG said:

Just saw this and felt the same way. I won't see another of his movies.

In fact, not sure I'll go to the movies again.

The last three movies I paid to see left me with that feeling of being suckered.

Like when you put money into a claw machine and even if you win, you know inside you're the loser.


This thread is bringing out all the debbie downers.

[Edited 3/24/19 20:55pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 03/25/19 7:24am

S2DG

avatar

sexton said:

TheTruth123 said:

I don't watch movies for the most part. There is no need, when real life is so beautiful.



S2DG said:

Just saw this and felt the same way. I won't see another of his movies.

In fact, not sure I'll go to the movies again.

The last three movies I paid to see left me with that feeling of being suckered.

Like when you put money into a claw machine and even if you win, you know inside you're the loser.


This thread is bringing out all the debbie downers.

[Edited 3/24/19 20:55pm]


Guess I'll just post when I have somthing positive to say about a movie rolleyes

G.F.Y.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 03/25/19 7:56am

onlyforaminute

Us. 2.5/5. Didn't understand what i was watching, still don't have a clue since i haven't googled anything yet. I got the twist ending but i don't get the us part.


Glass. 3/5 this drew me into the movie more though i didn't like the video gamish shots. The stoty as a whole, eh but the characters had my attention.
Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 03/25/19 12:32pm

sexton

avatar

S2DG said:

sexton said:


This thread is bringing out all the debbie downers.

[Edited 3/24/19 20:55pm]


Guess I'll just post when I have somthing positive to say about a movie rolleyes

G.F.Y.



thumbs up!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 03/25/19 1:42pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

sexton said:

S2DG said:


Guess I'll just post when I have somthing positive to say about a movie rolleyes

G.F.Y.



thumbs up!



I'm assuming on this forum that "G.F.Y." means "Good For You!", because it surely means something else in P&R!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 03/25/19 2:29pm

sexton

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

sexton said:


thumbs up!



I'm assuming on this forum that "G.F.Y." means "Good For You!", because it surely means something else in P&R!


lol

I'm sure S2DG being the positive person they are was only wishing me well with that acronym.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 03/25/19 2:44pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

onlyforaminute said:

Us. 2.5/5. Didn't understand what i was watching, still don't have a clue since i haven't googled anything yet. I got the twist ending but i don't get the us part.


Glass. 3/5 this drew me into the movie more though i didn't like the video gamish shots. The stoty as a whole, eh but the characters had my attention.


I still haven’t seen Us, it’s on my list. I’ve been avoiding spoilers but it’s getting a very an interesting mix or reviews.

I liked Glass. Probably because I like how the superhero genre is unique to itself in this. I also love how it set up the trite predictable ending of every action movie but purposely subverted those expectations.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 03/25/19 2:44pm

S2DG

avatar

sexton said:

RodeoSchro said:



I'm assuming on this forum that "G.F.Y." means "Good For You!", because it surely means something else in P&R!


lol

I'm sure S2DG being the positive person they are was only wishing me well with that acronym.


Now I'm more than one person and this person thinks they know me whofarted

God Forgives You

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 03/25/19 2:58pm

sexton

avatar

S2DG said:

sexton said:


lol

I'm sure S2DG being the positive person they are was only wishing me well with that acronym.


Now I'm more than one person and this person thinks they know me whofarted

God Forgives You


Precisely because I don't know you is why I used the gender-neutral pronoun "they". thumbs up!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 03/25/19 2:59pm

onlyforaminute

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

onlyforaminute said:
Us. 2.5/5. Didn't understand what i was watching, still don't have a clue since i haven't googled anything yet. I got the twist ending but i don't get the us part. Glass. 3/5 this drew me into the movie more though i didn't like the video gamish shots. The stoty as a whole, eh but the characters had my attention.
I still haven’t seen Us, it’s on my list. I’ve been avoiding spoilers but it’s getting a very an interesting mix or reviews. I liked Glass. Probably because I like how the superhero genre is unique to itself in this. I also love how it set up the trite predictable ending of every action movie but purposely subverted those expectations.


US
I don't watch the horror genre in general, the person I went with had already seen it and was totally into the entire movie so I gave it a go. I honestly don't get the "psychological" part of it, seemed like a typical horror movie that wasn't all gory. Too much of it didn't make sense to me.


Glass
The acting made it worth it. Even at 1am on a Monday morning, it held my full attention, I didn't want to miss a thing. I even like the shot they did of the building at the end because the way the train passing reflected off it made it seem, for a hot second, it was collapsing. I was just disappointed that the characters ended up that way, and nothing really happened with the secondary characters, I was waiting for it. Had me questioning if this was tied in someway to the Marvel universe. I know it's M.Night but...

Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 03/26/19 6:54am

damosuzuki

i caught us yesterday. i'd say it's not a triumph like get out, doesn't have that level of perfectly controlled tone. it's a bit too busy & cluttered & a touch too long, has a few 'why are you doing that?' moments, and its reveal was a touch unsatisfying. & maybe it's just a bit too on the nose in its messaging, in a way i didn't find with get out.

but it's still weird & daring & imaginative. it didn't leave me with the same satisfaction of having seen a complete story told well as get out did, but i still think it's absolutely worth seeing. 3.5/5


moneyball (2011) 4/5 people should listen to economists & statisticians more often.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 03/26/19 7:08am

RodeoSchro

avatar

damosuzuki said:

i caught us yesterday. i'd say it's not a triumph like get out, doesn't have that level of perfectly controlled tone. it's a bit too busy & cluttered & a touch too long, has a few 'why are you doing that?' moments, and its reveal was a touch unsatisfying. & maybe it's just a bit too on the nose in its messaging, in a way i didn't find with get out.

but it's still weird & daring & imaginative. it didn't leave me with the same satisfaction of having seen a complete story told well as get out did, but i still think it's absolutely worth seeing. 3.5/5


moneyball (2011) 4/5 people should listen to economists & statisticians more often.



I read that as "4 out of 5 people should listen to economists & statisticians more often" and was immediately reminded of a joke:

You can lay every economist in the world end-to-end and they still won't reach a conclusion. L. O. L.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 03/26/19 4:01pm

onlyforaminute

Well looks like I'mma hafta see US again. I just listened to a radio interview with my 2nd favorite author Tananarive Due, and it seems a whole lot went over my head. But what's with the freaking rabbits? They had rabbit symbolism in The Favourite also, it drove me nutz.
Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 03/27/19 9:15am

RodeoSchro

avatar

sexton said:

RodeoSchro said:




Brief?!? You mean I've been doing it wrong all these years???????


Everyone should be so talented in writing movie reviews as you.



I just saw this post. Thank you! hug

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 03/27/19 5:01pm

sonshine

avatar

The Dirt - 2.5/5
It's a lot of bragging about how out of control and crazy these rock stars were, and how much everyone wanted to party with them. They didn't seem to be the least bit remorseful for relentlessly shagging each other's women, or destroying an enormous amount of other people's personal property everywhere they went.
It was entertaining enough so I'm not sorry I watched it. Bonus: I learned some interesting things about the individual band members that I didn't know before. For example: Tommy Lee came from an intact home and family that included very square, and very supportive, parents. Go figure.
On the other hand Nicki Sixx did not.
The nature of this film did not give his sad back story, and eventual harrowing (even by rock star standards) heroin addiction a properly serious tone. The same could be said about the accident Vince Neil caused by driving drunk that effectively ended and/or destroyed the lives of three innocent people (not to mention the lives of all of their loved ones), and later the death of his own child at the age of four due to cancer.
I didn't read the book. Perhaps that included a more in-depth retrospective about some of these tragic events, rather than the more celebratory pat-on-the-back vibe of the film. It is a wonder they are all still alive today.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 03/27/19 5:09pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

sonshine said:

The Dirt - 2.5/5
It's a lot of bragging about how out of control and crazy these rock stars were, and how much everyone wanted to party with them. They didn't seem to be the least bit remorseful for relentlessly shagging each other's women, or destroying an enormous amount of other people's personal property everywhere they went.
It was entertaining enough so I'm not sorry I watched it. Bonus: I learned some interesting things about the individual band members that I didn't know before. For example: Tommy Lee came from an intact home and family that included very square, and very supportive, parents. Go figure.
On the other hand Nicki Sixx did not.
The nature of this film did not give his sad back story, and eventual harrowing (even by rock star standards) heroin addiction a properly serious tone. The same could be said about the accident Vince Neil caused by driving drunk that effectively ended and/or destroyed the lives of three innocent people (not to mention the lives of all of their loved ones), and later the death of his own child at the age of four due to cancer.
I didn't read the book. Perhaps that included a more in-depth retrospective about some of these tragic events, rather than the more celebratory pat-on-the-back vibe of the film. It is a wonder they are all still alive today.


Great review. I felt exactly the same about this movie.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 03/27/19 6:37pm

TheFman

Dragged across concrete

Don't let the piss-poor title fool you. It's another 2 cops story. BUT, this one beats them all hands down. It's another Mel Gibson gem. And Vince Vaughn plays the role of his life.

It's over 2,5 hours long but never boring, even when sometimes it looks like you're watching it in real time - so slow it goes.
Some episodes have a touch of something Tarantino, and two long (but good) scenes seems not to fit in too well as they're too long compared to the rest of the pace.
Not a predictable movie, no twists either. No memorable one-liners. Gibson was never this unsexy (that moustache!). I noticed one logcal mistake and one improbability.
Oh, did I mention it also has Don Johnson in it?!

One of the 3 - 5 best movies of the year surely. Go watch!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 03/27/19 9:07pm

onlyforaminute

Volcanoes The Fires of Creation. 5/5. Seen on a real IMAX screen. I needed the awe and wonder.

Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 03/27/19 11:29pm

sonshine

avatar

On The Basis of Sex - 4/5
Much better than I expected. RBG was a pretty remarkable woman. I'm glad I learned more about her.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 03/28/19 7:02am

peedub

avatar

TheFman said:

Dragged across concrete

Don't let the piss-poor title fool you. It's another 2 cops story. BUT, this one beats them all hands down. It's another Mel Gibson gem. And Vince Vaughn plays the role of his life.

It's over 2,5 hours long but never boring, even when sometimes it looks like you're watching it in real time - so slow it goes.
Some episodes have a touch of something Tarantino, and two long (but good) scenes seems not to fit in too well as they're too long compared to the rest of the pace.
Not a predictable movie, no twists either. No memorable one-liners. Gibson was never this unsexy (that moustache!). I noticed one logcal mistake and one improbability.
Oh, did I mention it also has Don Johnson in it?!

One of the 3 - 5 best movies of the year surely. Go watch!


i'm really looking forward to this movie. the nearest it's opening to me is an 1 1/2 hrs. away, but i might make the drive as it's in columbus and there're lots of things i like to do there.

i'm on board for all things s. craig zahler, so far. i've raved here about 'bone tomahawk' ('brawl in cell block 99' not so much, but still stellar[soundtrack included])and i've read a couple of his novels (westerns) that read as a kind of cormac mccarthy lite. he's got a knack for wearing his influences on his sleave, but leaving an authorial stamp on his work. good stuff.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 03/28/19 11:40am

damosuzuki

peedub said:

TheFman said:

Dragged across concrete

Don't let the piss-poor title fool you. It's another 2 cops story. BUT, this one beats them all hands down. It's another Mel Gibson gem. And Vince Vaughn plays the role of his life.

It's over 2,5 hours long but never boring, even when sometimes it looks like you're watching it in real time - so slow it goes.
Some episodes have a touch of something Tarantino, and two long (but good) scenes seems not to fit in too well as they're too long compared to the rest of the pace.
Not a predictable movie, no twists either. No memorable one-liners. Gibson was never this unsexy (that moustache!). I noticed one logcal mistake and one improbability.
Oh, did I mention it also has Don Johnson in it?!

One of the 3 - 5 best movies of the year surely. Go watch!


i'm really looking forward to this movie. the nearest it's opening to me is an 1 1/2 hrs. away, but i might make the drive as it's in columbus and there're lots of things i like to do there.

i'm on board for all things s. craig zahler, so far. i've raved here about 'bone tomahawk' ('brawl in cell block 99' not so much, but still stellar[soundtrack included])and i've read a couple of his novels (westerns) that read as a kind of cormac mccarthy lite. he's got a knack for wearing his influences on his sleave, but leaving an authorial stamp on his work. good stuff.

i'm really looking forward to it as well. i've like both of zahler's films, though i think both were too long & this one clearly isn't going to change that pattern. but i really like the brutality & the reactionary feel of both films.

brawl... never screened here, and i doubt dragged... will show here either, so i'll probably end up renting it or catching it on hoopla whenever it shows up there - but if it does hit the theatres here, i'll be there opening night.

[Edited 3/28/19 11:46am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 03/28/19 11:44am

damosuzuki

the last movie (1971) 0.5/5 dennis hopper's infamous financial & critical disaster that led to him being put in actor/director jail for a decade or so.


i didn't understand what this movie was about.
which doesn't have to be a show stopper.
but it bored me. to paraphrase philip seymour hoffman's character in happiness, never before have i seen such a boring movie.

if you're looking to test the boundaries of the relationships in your life, recommend this film to a friend and see if they'll ever listen to you again.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 03/29/19 4:49pm

onlyforaminute

For the 2nd time. Dogville 4/5 it was even more heartbreaking this time around

Life is to be lived, not controlled, and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 03/30/19 6:13am

damosuzuki

the dirt 2.5/5

not a second of it is without cliche, and it really ought to have been much sleazier. not that it's not sleazy. but i could have used more raunchiness.

it's reasonably enjoyable trash, nevertheless. as roger ebert said in his spinal tap review, being a rock star, even in a really stupid, lousy band, does look like a lot of fun.

i will proposer here that every time an actor in a biopic looks into the camera and says 'it didn't really happen this way,' the producers should be made to pay royalties to michael winterbottom, since his film 24 hour party people did this perfectly, and also is the best musical biopic of the last 20 years.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > rate the last movie you watched