independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > NFL Second Half Season Thread
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/02/14 7:27pm

babynoz

NFL Second Half Season Thread



The other thread has self locked already so let's make a new one... cool

Steeler Nation congratulates Mean Joe Green at a ceremony to retire his Jersey tonight, 11-2-14!

STEELER NATIONNNNN!!!

http://www.post-gazette.c...1411020265


Joe Greene gives a speech as the Steelers retire his jersey before the game against the Ravens at Heinz Field.

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mean Joe Greene had his nickname before he arrived in Pittsburgh and he lived up to it during his 13-year NFL career with the Steelers. He was the leader of the Steel Curtain defense, and he fought, punched and willed the Steelers into a championship team everyone in the NFL had to respect.

On Sunday night, Mean Joe Greene cried.

Now gray and known as “Papa Joe” to his seven grandchildren, the 68-year old Steelers legend became the second player in franchise history to have his jersey retired and the first from the dynasty of the Super ‘70s.

Mr. Greene joined Ernie Stautner as the only players with retired Steelers jerseys. Mr. Stautner’s No. 70 jersey was retired 50 years ago.

In a ceremony in FedEx Hall inside Heinz Field three hours before the Steelers-Ravens game, team president Art Rooney II unveiled the jersey that now resides next to Mr. Stautner’s in the hall.

“I thought my knees got weak when Dan and Art told me they wanted to retire my number," Mr. Greene said. "This is completely overwhelming. I can’t say how happy I am to be placed in this awesome category with Ernie.”

At that point, Mr. Greene broke down. The emotions caught up to him.

“I was just thinking about the journey, how special it has been for me, how blessed I’ve been to be a Pittsburgh Steeler,” Mr. Greene said later. “Initially, I was hesitant about being a Steeler because of the history. Prior to me being a Steeler we won two out of 14 games. My first year we won one out of 14. We didn’t start very well. Thanks to the leadership of the Rooneys and Chuck Noll, that all changed.”

Mr. Greene played for the Steelers from 1969 until 1981. He served as the team’s defensive line coach from 1987-91 and later served as a team scout from 2004 until 2012.

He was joined by Steelers from all points in the journey Sunday night. Many of his teammates came out to support him, including fellow Pro Football Hall of Famers Franco Harris, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann and Mel Blount.

“He really was the bedrock, the foundation of our '70s team,” Mr. Harris said. “To have this recognition today is so wonderful. I’m so happy to be able to celebrate this with Joe and to honor him for everything he has contributed to the great city and the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

Mr. Greene’s emotions also flowed because of those who were not there to celebrate. Mr. Greene is the last living member of the Steel Curtain. Dwight White and Ernie Holmes died five months apart in 2008. L.C. Greenwood died last year.

Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll died in June.

“Chuck, Dwight and Ernie and L.C… we had a bond,” Mr. Greene said. “We had a friendship. We had camaraderie, and we had the dedication to be the very best we could be each and every time we went out. Did we always accomplish that? No, but I tell you we got close a lot of times.

“There are not many days that go by that I don’t think about Chuck. And that was when he was with us. And there are not many days that go by when I don’t think about L.C., Dwight and Ernie. Those were special relationships individually and as a group. We would talk all the time, probably moreso in retirement than when we played. It was indeed special.”


[Edited 11/2/14 19:34pm]

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/02/14 9:13pm

kpowers

avatar

Dam took forever but Steelers beat the rat-birds. Steelers score over 90 points in the last 2 games headbang woot! excited clapping dancing jig boogie

[Edited 11/2/14 21:13pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/02/14 9:32pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

Mean Joe! Mean Joe!

The Steelers have played well the last two games. Todd Haley after taking abuse from

the fans including me lol has looked genius in the last two games. I still think the oline

can use some fine tuning and the run game was atrocious but Hgali Nota and the Ratbirds.

defensive front had a lot to do with it. It always feels good to beat the Ratbirds especially

when Terrell Thuggs and his stooges resort to cheap shots. The best way to respond is to

KICK THEIR ASS and I love it. Well the next challenge is to focus on playing an underdog

next week. The Jets sure as hell won't lay down. Can't afford to lose this next game if the

Steelers gonna make a playoff push.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/02/14 9:47pm

kpowers

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

Mean Joe! Mean Joe!

The Steelers have played well the last two games. Todd Haley after taking abuse from

the fans including me lol has looked genius in the last two games. I still think the oline

can use some fine tuning and the run game was atrocious but Hgali Nota and the Ratbirds.

defensive front had a lot to do with it. It always feels good to beat the Ratbirds especially

when Terrell Thuggs and his stooges resort to cheap shots. The best way to respond is to

KICK THEIR ASS and I love it. Well the next challenge is to focus on playing an underdog

next week. The Jets sure as hell won't lay down. Can't afford to lose this next game if the

Steelers gonna make a playoff push.

You can tell they were trying to knock Ben out, then Steelers defense put the hurt on Flaco. Also whats up with Flaco spiking the ball with 2 seconds left, lame. I so wanted him to get sack on that play.

[Edited 11/2/14 22:03pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/02/14 10:04pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

kpowers said:

phunkdaddy said:

Mean Joe! Mean Joe!

The Steelers have played well the last two games. Todd Haley after taking abuse from

the fans including me lol has looked genius in the last two games. I still think the oline

can use some fine tuning and the run game was atrocious but Hgali Nota and the Ratbirds.

defensive front had a lot to do with it. It always feels good to beat the Ratbirds especially

when Terrell Thuggs and his stooges resort to cheap shots. The best way to respond is to

KICK THEIR ASS and I love it. Well the next challenge is to focus on playing an underdog

next week. The Jets sure as hell won't lay down. Can't afford to lose this next game if the

Steelers gonna make a playoff push.

You can tell they were trying to knock Ben out, then Steelers defense put the hurt on Flaco.

Kudos to the secondary. I was really concerned about Steve Smith. Benching Cortez Allen has

made a difference and Antwan Blake has been a pleasant surprise. I hope Polamalu is okay although Will Allen played good too in his absence. I like Will Allen. He always seem to be around

the football.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/02/14 11:52pm

kpowers

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said:

You can tell they were trying to knock Ben out, then Steelers defense put the hurt on Flaco.

Kudos to the secondary. I was really concerned about Steve Smith. Benching Cortez Allen has

made a difference and Antwan Blake has been a pleasant surprise. I hope Polamalu is okay although Will Allen played good too in his absence. I like Will Allen. He always seem to be around

the football.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/03/14 12:20pm

babynoz

kpowers said:

phunkdaddy said:

Kudos to the secondary. I was really concerned about Steve Smith. Benching Cortez Allen has

made a difference and Antwan Blake has been a pleasant surprise. I hope Polamalu is okay although Will Allen played good too in his absence. I like Will Allen. He always seem to be around

the football.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!



nod

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/03/14 2:23pm

JoeyC

avatar



Shame that the 49ers are garbage this year. I lived about a mile from the brand new niners stadium and its beautiful.


As far as the season...Oh well, maybe next year.



Arizona's looking good though.

[Edited 11/3/14 14:24pm]

Rest in Peace Bettie Boo. See u soon.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/03/14 6:33pm

kpowers

avatar

Browns vs Bengals, dam who to root for confuse The only way for me to enjoy the game is a 0-0 tie and alot of injuries on both sides.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/06/14 1:08pm

Graycap23

avatar

I said at the start of the season that Clowny was not a legit player.

Nothing he has done so far has proven me wrong.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/06/14 2:23pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

kpowers said:

Browns vs Bengals, dam who to root for confuse The only way for me to enjoy the game is a 0-0 tie and alot of injuries on both sides.



I'll root for the 0-0 tie but I don't wish injuries on no team. I would hate for
bad karma to come back and bite our team but yes they can physically beat the hell
out if each other. biggrin
I won't root for either but let's just say I hope we are in first place come 4:30 Sunday.
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/06/14 2:25pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

Graycap23 said:

I said at the start of the season that Clowny was not a legit player.


Nothing he has done so far has proven me wrong.



He will be a beast once he gets healthy. Believe that!
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/06/14 3:50pm

kpowers

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said:

Browns vs Bengals, dam who to root for confuse The only way for me to enjoy the game is a 0-0 tie and alot of injuries on both sides.

I'll root for the 0-0 tie but I don't wish injuries on no team. I would hate for bad karma to come back and bite our team but yes they can physically beat the hell out if each other. biggrin I won't root for either but let's just say I hope we are in first place come 4:30 Sunday.

Yeah you're right about that. Though I do wish that on the Ravens because it's so obvious they have been trying to injure key players on the Steelers over the years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/06/14 4:43pm

Graycap23

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

Graycap23 said:

I said at the start of the season that Clowny was not a legit player.

Nothing he has done so far has proven me wrong.

He will be a beast once he gets healthy. Believe that!

Im thinking that may never happen.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/06/14 7:29pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

kpowers said:

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said: I'll root for the 0-0 tie but I don't wish injuries on no team. I would hate for bad karma to come back and bite our team but yes they can physically beat the hell out if each other. biggrin I won't root for either but let's just say I hope we are in first place come 4:30 Sunday.

Yeah you're right about that. Though I do wish that on the Ravens because it's so obvious they have been trying to injure key players on the Steelers over the years.

I officially despise the Ravens. I do respect their GM Ozzie Newsome. He knows how to build

a football team and does a good job. I despise their smug ass coach John Harbaugh and yes

I believe he is behind his team taking cheap shots and trying to get in the Steelers head. I

didn't like the display of sour grapes the Ravens displayed Sunday night.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/06/14 7:49pm

kpowers

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said:

Yeah you're right about that. Though I do wish that on the Ravens because it's so obvious they have been trying to injure key players on the Steelers over the years.

I officially despise the Ravens. I do respect their GM Ozzie Newsome. He knows how to build

a football team and does a good job. I despise their smug ass coach John Harbaugh and yes

I believe he is behind his team taking cheap shots and trying to get in the Steelers head. I

didn't like the display of sour grapes the Ravens displayed Sunday night.

I believe that 100% and I think it's way worse than the whole Saints scandal a few years ago. Even Chris Collinsworth mentioned during the game (after that hit on Ben) that he believed Harbaugh didn't care about getting penalties. I do believe it was Ray Lewis who said after when Menndehal broke his leg said "we meant to do that". Also why wasn't Ngata ejected from that game in which he placed a cheap shot on Ben which cause his nose to be broken.

[Edited 11/7/14 0:17am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/07/14 1:55pm

kpowers

avatar

LeGarrette Blount said this week that Terrell Suggs is "known to be a dirty player" after the Baltimore Ravens linebacker hit him low on a tackle last Sunday night.

Suggs will pay for his hit.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the NFL fined Suggs $8,268 for the late hit on the Pittsburgh Steelers running back, per a league source.

The linebacker drew a flag for unnecessary roughness and sparked pushing and shoving on both sides. Blount was uninjured on the play.

After the game, Suggs denied the play was dirty.

"He was running, he was still up and he was moving the pile," he said. "I assessed the play, and that was the only way I could get him down without him gaining more yards. I wasn't trying to get him hurt. I was just trying to get the big guy down."

The NFL disagreed with Suggs, hence the fine.

What other players saw their pocketbooks become lighter?

1. A different Baltimore linebacker had a bigger punishment than Suggs: Courtney Upshaw lost $20,000 for roughing the passer and striking the quarterback late and in the neck area, per Rapopo

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/09/14 12:58pm

kpowers

avatar

WTF ill feeling ill barf : wall mad rolleyes dead boxed hmm hrmph censored disbelief

[Edited 11/9/14 12:58pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/09/14 1:13pm

kpowers

avatar

confuse Steelers can't beat teams with losing records. I'm just glad we don't play the Raiders this year (which they beat the Steelers like the last 3 times they played)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/09/14 5:10pm

train23

number 31 for Ny Giants is a bitch scared to tackle
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/09/14 9:09pm

Abdul

Are The Bears really that bad or are the Packers just that good?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/10/14 6:17am

Graycap23

avatar

Abdul said:

Are The Bears really that bad or are the Packers just that good?

The Bears problems in order:

1. Ownership

2. Management

3. Coaching

4. Scheme

5. Soldier Field Surface conditions

6. Game day effort

7. Talent

As u can see, talent is the least of their issues.

Until they address the top 4, nothing else will matter.

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/10/14 4:28pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

kpowers said:

confuse Steelers can't beat teams with losing records. I'm just glad we don't play the Raiders this year (which they beat the Steelers like the last 3 times they played)



No words. The offense was just piss poor. Play calling was atrocious. Screen plays up the middle into the teeth of the defense with Bell. WTF? I had a friend try to blame the loss on the Vick fumble no call before the half. Seriously? I wasn't trying to hear it. If it takes you 59 minutes to find the end zone against the pathetic N.Y Jets you deserve to lose. The Jets had the worst pass defense in the league with 24 td's allowed and you don't even test them downfield with your best wideout. I don't have any more expectations from this team.m
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/11/14 6:02am

uPtoWnNY

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said:

confuse Steelers can't beat teams with losing records. I'm just glad we don't play the Raiders this year (which they beat the Steelers like the last 3 times they played)

No words. The offense was just piss poor. Play calling was atrocious. Screen plays up the middle into the teeth of the defense with Bell. WTF? I had a friend try to blame the loss on the Vick fumble no call before the half. Seriously? I wasn't trying to hear it. If it takes you 59 minutes to find the end zone against the pathetic N.Y Jets you deserve to lose. The Jets had the worst pass defense in the league with 24 td's allowed and you don't even test them downfield with your best wideout. I don't have any more expectations from this team.m

At least the Steelers are still in it. Giants are OVA. I think Coughlin (and maybe Jerry Reese) will pay the price.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/11/14 7:26am

phunkdaddy

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said: No words. The offense was just piss poor. Play calling was atrocious. Screen plays up the middle into the teeth of the defense with Bell. WTF? I had a friend try to blame the loss on the Vick fumble no call before the half. Seriously? I wasn't trying to hear it. If it takes you 59 minutes to find the end zone against the pathetic N.Y Jets you deserve to lose. The Jets had the worst pass defense in the league with 24 td's allowed and you don't even test them downfield with your best wideout. I don't have any more expectations from this team.m

At least the Steelers are still in it. Giants are OVA. I think Coughlin (and maybe Jerry Reese) will pay the price.

The Giants biggest problem is they just don't have the horses on defense

now. The future is bright on the offensive side of the ball. Odell Beckham Jr. is a football player. I watched him at LSU. I picked him up on my fantasy team right after Cruz got hurt and he's paying dividends now. As far as the Steelers go you don't deserve the playoffs if you can't beat the Jets. I excused the Tampa loss and that was bad enough but the Jets are absolutely pathetic. A good college team can beat the Jets.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/14/14 2:35pm

kpowers

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

kpowers said:

confuse Steelers can't beat teams with losing records. I'm just glad we don't play the Raiders this year (which they beat the Steelers like the last 3 times they played)

No words. The offense was just piss poor. Play calling was atrocious. Screen plays up the middle into the teeth of the defense with Bell. WTF? I had a friend try to blame the loss on the Vick fumble no call before the half. Seriously? I wasn't trying to hear it. If it takes you 59 minutes to find the end zone against the pathetic N.Y Jets you deserve to lose. The Jets had the worst pass defense in the league with 24 td's allowed and you don't even test them downfield with your best wideout. I don't have any more expectations from this team.m

Mike Mitchell is getting heat for trying to cause a fumble on the last play of the game. Honestly I don't have a problem with that. What if he did cause a fumble, Steelers score and ends up winning in OT. What if that win helps the Steelers get into the playoffs. Now if they were down by 14 points or more I could understand. Why doesn't Flaco get any heat for spiking the ball with 2 seconds left on the clock. Does Flaco think he can score 20 points in 2 seconds?? Is Flaco trying to improve his stats?? How stupid especially if one of his team mates would get injured on that play.

[Edited 11/17/14 1:24am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/16/14 10:28pm

Abdul

Yup the Packers are that good, damn!!! LOL!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/18/14 10:21am

Graycap23

avatar

The Bears win out and make the playoffs....................... razz

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/18/14 11:19am

kpowers

avatar

Bell was the man

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mq39xR_JhTq7ul_IEpWJdfR_xOk=/0x0:5184x3456/352x235/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/44177584/459149098.0.jpg

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/18/14 9:11pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

kpowers said:

Bell was the man

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mq39xR_JhTq7ul_IEpWJdfR_xOk=/0x0:5184x3456/352x235/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/44177584/459149098.0.jpg

Now he can continue to soar like an Eagle now the Steelers have

released his selfish backfield mate who acts like a turkey. Good

riddance LaGarrette Blount.

Where are all the front running 49ers fans. The Niners must not be

9-2 lol

[Edited 11/18/14 21:14pm]

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > NFL Second Half Season Thread