independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 27th Jan 2020 7:59pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Life in Toronto?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

alphastreet

Life in Toronto?

Lived here my whole life and will never get sick of it!

The only thing that sucks is that not all of my friends are into the same things I am, and it gets lonely though there is always someone to talk to.

When I was in high school and university, I felt like great things were ahead, but now I just feel like everything is passing me by, and I need excitement again. It's not the city doing that, it's me. When I was younger, I would fantasize about becoming an EC dancer and was crazy about muchmusic, but now not so much at all, I barely even watch Much. I think most of my life I felt like "that other side" was for when I grow up, but I don't know what I want anymore though there is so much to do here.
[Edited 2/16/09 17:09pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/16/09 5:57pm

Lammastide

Been here for about 2 1/2 years and I REALLY like it.

Barring (maybe) London, it's perhaps the most multicultural city in the world; it's safe and clean (don't listen to Erin shhh); the schools are of quality despite being tight on cash; it's got year-round city events; it's in workable driving proximity to many other cool North American cities along the Atlantic seaboard (Montreal, Boston, New York, for example); its airport services darned-near the entire world without requiring a thousand connecting flights; and while it's definitely a big city, it doesn't quite smoulder with the chaos of a New York or Chicago.

My main complaints are the highest cost of living in Canada; homelessness; the lack of a signature architectural aesthetic; and neighborhoods that, while every bit as diverse as, say, New York's, lack a certain "oomph" or steeped personality.

I'd love to see some attention given to better defining specific neighborhoods, bolstering the importance of common spaces and throwing up things that may seem frivolous (fountains, statuary, gardens, public art), but actually really help give a city character.
[Edited 2/17/09 20:35pm]
Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
Reply #2 posted 02/16/09 8:56pm

alphastreet

I'm glad you like it smile
Reply #3 posted 02/16/09 8:58pm

luv4u

I don't have to pay PST
Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
Reply #4 posted 02/16/09 8:59pm

Lammastide

luv4u said:

I don't have to pay PST

You Albertans are darned near anarchists! mad
[Edited 2/16/09 21:04pm]
Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
Reply #5 posted 02/16/09 9:20pm

alphastreet

and BC is full of assholes :p
Reply #6 posted 02/16/09 9:47pm

JustErin

Lammastide said:

Barring (maybe) London, it's perhaps the most multicultural city in the world; it's safe and clean (don't listen to Erin shhh); the schools are of quality despite being tight on cash; it's got year-round city events; it's in workable driving proximity to many other cool North American cities along the Atlantic seaboard (Montreal, Boston, New York, for example); its airport services darned-near the entire world without requiring a thousand connecting flights; and while it's definitely a big city, it doesn't quite smoulder with the chaos of a New York or Chicago.

My main complaints are the highest cost of living in Canada; homelessness; the lack of a signature architectural aesthetic; and neighborhoods that, while every bit as diverse as, say, New York's, lack a certain steeped personality.

I'd love to see some attention given to better defining specific neighborhoods, bolstering the importance of common spaces and throwing up things that may seem frivolous (fountains, statuary, gardens, public art), but actually really help give a city character.
[Edited 2/16/09 20:57pm]

Take a trip to Montreal for that.
Reply #7 posted 02/16/09 10:27pm

Lammastide

JustErin said:

Lammastide said:

My main complaints are the highest cost of living in Canada; homelessness; the lack of a signature architectural aesthetic; and neighborhoods that, while every bit as diverse as, say, New York's, lack a certain steeped personality.

[Edited 2/16/09 20:57pm]

Take a trip to Montreal for that.

nod Definitely.
Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
Reply #8 posted 02/17/09 2:33pm

alphastreet

Montreal is more pleasant and lively at night than Toronto IMO
Reply #9 posted 02/17/09 6:16pm

JustErin

alphastreet said:

Absolutely.

Hotter, more stylin' people too.
Reply #10 posted 02/17/09 6:23pm

luv4u

Lammastide said:

luv4u said:

I don't have to pay PST

You Albertans are darned near anarchists! mad
[Edited 2/16/09 21:04pm]

evillol
Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
Reply #11 posted 02/17/09 6:27pm

Lammastide

JustErin said:

alphastreet said:

Absolutely.

So true. It's like they all take hotness lessons or something.
Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
Reply #12 posted 02/17/09 6:29pm

JustErin

Lammastide said:

JustErin said:

Absolutely.

So true. It's like they all take hotness lessons or something.

It's the European influence. Shopping there is utterly amazing.
Reply #13 posted 02/17/09 8:28pm

Ace

alphastreet said:

The only thing that sucks is that not all of my friends are into the same things I am, and it gets lonely

Even with the Internet? confuse

When I was in high school and university, I felt like great things were ahead, but now I just feel like everything is passing me by, and I need excitement again.

I used to feel this way. But then I realized that you can never do it all and most things are - ultimately - empty, anyways. Everything you need for bliss is within yourself.

I don't know what I want anymore

What makes you happy? Never mind what other people tell you should make you happy - what actually makes you happy?
"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
Reply #14 posted 02/17/09 8:31pm

pplrain

I've lived in Toronto and it is one of the best cities to live in. Clean and safe.
Reply #15 posted 02/17/09 8:38pm

Ace

I could do without the winters, but I looove this city! New York and L.A. have many great things about them, but NYC's too crowded for my liking, too many douches in L.A. and getting sick in the US is a one-way ticket to wearing a barrel. London's groovy, but I perceive a strong current of people wrapped up in out-cooling each other in a lot of its 'hoods.

Montreal? It's a small town, compared to Toronto. And what does it offer that you can't find here in spades?
Reply #16 posted 02/17/09 8:42pm

Ace

alphastreet said:

You don't find TORONTO "lively" at night?! hmm
Reply #17 posted 02/17/09 8:42pm

JustErin

Ace said:

I could do without the winters, but I looove this city! New York and L.A. have many great things about them, but NYC's too crowded for my liking, too many douches in L.A. and getting sick in the US is a one-way ticket to wearing a barrel. London's groovy, but I perceive a strong current of people wrapped up in out-cooling each other in a lot of its 'hoods.

Montreal? It's a small town, compared to Toronto. And what does it offer that you can't find here in spades?

Super Sexe every 5 feet...?
Reply #18 posted 02/17/09 8:45pm

Ace

JustErin said:

Ace said:

Umm, Erin, have you ever been on Queen, College or in Yorkville (for starters)?
Reply #19 posted 02/17/09 8:47pm

JustErin

Ace said:

JustErin said:

Yes. Wanna meet me there this Saturday? batting eyes
Reply #20 posted 02/17/09 8:48pm

Ace

JustErin said:

Ace said:

lol Are you really gonna be here?
Reply #21 posted 02/17/09 8:50pm

JustErin

Ace said:

JustErin said:

No, I'll be in Montreal not this weekend but the next. Wanna meet there? batting eyes
Reply #22 posted 02/17/09 8:51pm

Lammastide

Ace said:

alphastreet said:

Toronto is definitely lively at night (not that I ever go out at night since having a kid confused ), but it could use a bit more romance. Old Montreal, parts of the Latin Quarter and McGill's campus and Mont Royal offer a bit more ambience for... lurve mushy than places in TO. What do you think?
[Edited 2/17/09 20:53pm]
Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
Reply #23 posted 02/17/09 8:52pm

JustErin

Lammastide said:

Ace said:

Toronto is definitely lively at night (not that I ever go out at night since having a kid confused ), but it could use a bit more romance. Old Montreal, parts of the Latin Quarter and McGill's campus and Mont Royal offer a bit more ambience for... lurve. What do you think?

Yes.
Reply #24 posted 02/17/09 8:53pm

Ace

JustErin said:

Ace said:

No, I'll be in Montreal not this weekend but the next. Wanna meet there? batting eyes

That would require leaving my apartment. And meeting people. And I don't like those things. shake
Reply #25 posted 02/17/09 8:54pm

JustErin

Ace said:

JustErin said:

That would require leaving my apartment. And meeting people. And I don't like those things. shake

sad
Reply #26 posted 02/17/09 8:59pm

Ace

Lammastide said:

Ace said:

Toronto is definitely lively at night (not that I ever go out at night since having a kid confused ), but it could use a bit more romance. Old Montreal, parts of the Latin Quarter and McGill's campus and Mont Royal offer a bit more ambience for... lurve mushy than places in TO. What do you think?

You've obviously never spanked someone who was bent over a Berkley Horse while overlooking the skyline. mushy
Reply #27 posted 02/17/09 9:00pm

Ace

JustErin said:

Ace said:

sad

Don't take it personal: I hate everyone! biggrin
Reply #28 posted 02/17/09 9:00pm

JustErin

Ace said:

Lammastide said:

You've obviously never spanked someone who was bent over a Berkley Horse while overlooking the skyline. mushy

It's such a shame that you've turned into a freak who doesn't like to leave his apartment.
Reply #29 posted 02/17/09 9:02pm

Ace

JustErin said:

Ace said:

It's such a shame that you've turned into a freak who doesn't like to leave his apartment.

Why would somebody want to leave their apartment? confused
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Life in Toronto?